GNU Billy Goat C2 - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks for the info everyone

I am still not sure which direction to go. Local shop pushing left over stock, not much help there. I need to check out the new gear for 2012 but not much of selection. I still think the billy goat would be fun board. Never summer boards used to be really heavy but would like to check them out. Burton custom x old school camber always fun but more money! Might have to buy two boards to get what i need.
djrflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've heard the Billy Goat is a great board, but haven't ever ridden it so I can't comment. It has that C2 BTX just like the Rice. I'm not exactly sure on the differences. Aren't the TRS and the Billy Goat essentially the same board?
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was set on a Lib (or Gnu) for all the tech they have, but the two Lib's my friends have just look like shit after a couple trips. looks aren't everything but these things were beat up. No idea why, and yes that is anecdotal but still.

Went with an SL. My girl likes Roxy (of course) so I'm not anti-mervin at all, just the way it went for me. Looking at an eminence for her possibly.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

The billy goat is unique to the Mervin line smallest amount of mag and really mellow c2 btx plus has Anvitex Dampener only board to have this. This is why i thought it would be fun board to rip it on. I have a friend that is riding the attack banana he loves it and rides jay all year long. He said it made him a better boarder. He was riding the arbor a frame. His attack still looks really nice after 50 plus days of riding. I also really would like a Nidecker megalight but also allot of money.
djrflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I've heard the Billy Goat is a great board, but haven't ever ridden it so I can't comment. It has that C2 BTX just like the Rice. I'm not exactly sure on the differences. Aren't the TRS and the Billy Goat essentially the same board?
No, the BG is stiffer than a TRS. It's pretty close to the Dark Series actually.
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I genuinely feel there is nearly always better to be had. Merv had a clinch on ice till we got vario from NS, Flows 5 radial sidecut, and Arbor's System tech. And now with zero cam and hybrid camber you get more initiation pts on your board. Mervin feels the need to charge a premium. They use some "exotic" materials, but I've never felt a discenable difference worth the price. Is it a snowboard, will it get you down the hill? Yeah. There's just a lot of hype surrounding the brand i often feel they dont live up to.

Signal has proven you can make a board from start to finish in America, have it ride great, and keep the price down.

And have I said anything in this thread, maybe before this post, that you can argue isnt true? Other than the Goat maybe having too much grip?
You are entitled to your opinions and I fully respect them. A lot of Mervin riders just agree to disagree with you.
Also, Vario Grip from NS and System Tech are both nice but no where near the grip provided by MTX. Not sure if it is a east coast vs west coast thing but MTX is > than all the other tech's. There are also various degrees of MTX so you have options to look for more subtle ones as well.
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm looking at a BG too. Have spoken to a guy who owned last year's and raves about it. Super damp, cuts through chop, etc. I wonder personally how C2 carves compared to camber but he said it's fine.

And Magne is a must being on the east coast unless you're really good at tuning.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Weird if magne is so good that all anyone can talk about is how they are trending to mellow it out. I stepped on an Attack, gripped more like Arbors system tech. Better than everything else? I find that hard to swallow if they're dialing it back and its starting to feel like someone else's. Was magne a breakthrough? Yeah, but since then better tech has come out. Are you really gonna try and tell me A New Hope is better than Empire Strikes Back?

Yes Makes one good board. One. The Optimistic. Though better can be had still.

I fail to see why you, Nolefan2011, can't take me seriously on Mervin. Have I said anything in my argument for other companies products over Mervin that wasn't true? No, The Goat with its lessened magne probably wont grip too much, my bad, but it's gonna grip like System if its magne is on par with the Attack. Mervin uses a wet layup that takes more resin, so they are heavier boards. There is no way around that.

Also I will rarely "hate" on a product. I know what it takes to make a board, but if I feel like something else is going to perform better or the same for as much or cheaper I will say so. And if I feel like a particular board is just bad, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. I will direct some significant dislike to certain companies though. Mervin's one of em. I feel they use more hype to drive their company than anything else. For instance, you know how Arbor is getting to where they are? Their boards are dialed. The hype for Arbor is not from Arbor claiming they will make you puke fairy dust if you ride their "chosen one" boards, it's from people like me who rode their boards, found they ride better than anything else, and tell everyone who asks.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What the hell is the New Hope? It will forever be star wars buddy!

Damn I'm old
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Have you ridden an Optimistic or Travis Rice?

I demoed about 20 boards last year. For my riding style, which is bombing groomers or powder in the morning, and then screwing around in the afternoon on natural jumps and park jumps, as well as back country stuff, these two boards were more fun than all those other boards I named.

For instance, you label Mervin's boards as being heavy and dead because of resin. Have you ridden a Ride Highlife? That thing is a freaking plank. Talk about a thick, beefy board, that is so damp you don't even feel the mountain. Yeah, it's stable at speed, but so would be a dresser with the legs cut off.

I honestly wonder if you have ridden the Yes board though, or any for that matter. Because they are about impossible to find as demos. To me, the Optimistic was the best combination of stability at speed, the tech was fun when really pushing the board to it's limit (CamRock), it floated in powder like no other, and for a mid-stiff board, was torsionally extremely quick edge to edge. Very damp, but far from dead. Had great pop. Awesome board. Oh, and edge hold was excellent. Didn't wash once on me. I haven't found a board yet as a bomber that wasn't pure Camber that was more fun. And I mention avoiding pure Camber for the float that the slight rocker provided in powder.

Which also leads me to my next question about Mervin. Did you just ride a Skate and Attack banana? The Attack is using that eliptical design, and isn't the straight C2 BTX. So the stability at speed is not there with the Attack, not like it would be with the Rice or the Banana Magic. It's supposed to be a very loose board, and have some of those skate board qualities, but more stability than the Skate Banana.

I just bring this up because you can't put every board in a box and generalize. I have ridden about 4 different Lib Tech boards, and they all are fairly different. It depends on what you're looking for.

As for the Billy Goat, it's supposed to be one of the most stable Mervin boards at speed outside the Dark Series. And like the poster said above, he lives on the East coast, not Colorado Springs, so I stress you might not fully understand the sheets of ice they get out there. Which I do because I have family out East, and it's brutal. Can tell you a lot of the boards mentioned would wash on ice days. There is a method behind the madness with Magnetraction.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote