GNU Billy Goat C2 - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Nolefan how do you like C2 as far as carving turns?
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yes what sidewall said!
"Nolefan how do you like C2 as far as carving turns?"
djrflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

I like it a lot. Not as fun as Camrock for me (nidecker and yes), but much better than flat line in K2, liked it better than the High Life from Ride. Haven't ridden much Arbor, so I can't compare there.

It really compares to Never Summer, but the boards feel different. The Heritage had that real thick, stable feel. The Lib stuff for me was torsionally quicker and gave you more feel. Both techs lock in with the sidecuts, and are fun to carve.

I can't speak of the Billy Goat, but the Rice was really fun to carve. And it sounds like the Billy Goat is just as stable, if not more.

Hope that helps.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

It helps but I worry I'll get on one and be like WTF with all the pressure between my feet.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
Have you ridden an Optimistic or Travis Rice?

I demoed about 20 boards last year. For my riding style, which is bombing groomers or powder in the morning, and then screwing around in the afternoon on natural jumps and park jumps, as well as back country stuff, these two boards were more fun than all those other boards I named.

For instance, you label Mervin's boards as being heavy and dead because of resin. Have you ridden a Ride Highlife? That thing is a freaking plank. Talk about a thick, beefy board, that is so damp you don't even feel the mountain. Yeah, it's stable at speed, but so would be a dresser with the legs cut off.

I honestly wonder if you have ridden the Yes board though, or any for that matter. Because they are about impossible to find as demos. To me, the Optimistic was the best combination of stability at speed, the tech was fun when really pushing the board to it's limit (CamRock), it floated in powder like no other, and for a mid-stiff board, was torsionally extremely quick edge to edge. Very damp, but far from dead. Had great pop. Awesome board. Oh, and edge hold was excellent. Didn't wash once on me. I haven't found a board yet as a bomber that wasn't pure Camber that was more fun. And I mention avoiding pure Camber for the float that the slight rocker provided in powder.

Which also leads me to my next question about Mervin. Did you just ride a Skate and Attack banana? The Attack is using that eliptical design, and isn't the straight C2 BTX. So the stability at speed is not there with the Attack, not like it would be with the Rice or the Banana Magic. It's supposed to be a very loose board, and have some of those skate board qualities, but more stability than the Skate Banana.

I just bring this up because you can't put every board in a box and generalize. I have ridden about 4 different Lib Tech boards, and they all are fairly different. It depends on what you're looking for.

As for the Billy Goat, it's supposed to be one of the most stable Mervin boards at speed outside the Dark Series. And like the poster said above, he lives on the East coast, not Colorado Springs, so I stress you might not fully understand the sheets of ice they get out there. Which I do because I have family out East, and it's brutal. Can tell you a lot of the boards mentioned would wash on ice days. There is a method behind the madness with Magnetraction.
I rode the Rice in camber, and C2. Sucked. Rode the YES Dudes. Also sucked. Only company doing camrock right is Signal, who brought it to the industy in the Omni. I worked at a shop and I know angrysnowboarder, I wrote some reviews for him. I'm not some kid from the suburbs who happens on some gear mags and fancy's himself an expert. I try really hard not to talk about gear I don't feel I have a grasp on.

Will the Goat ride different than the Attack? Yeah, but if the magne doesn't change then that aspect isn't going to either. Magne gripped too much on the BTX Banana and both Rice's. Certain tech's characteristics matter very little what board they're on. Like YES/Nidecker's serrated edge tech, doesn't do shit, across the lineup.

I rode the Westmark at Winterpark on a -40* day. It gripped fine. And the park there was goram bulletproof.

I reviewed the 2012 Highlife UL for BA. Ride's are smooth as hell, not dead. And they year after year create some of the poppiest boards on the market. They're lively and snappy.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
It helps but I worry I'll get on one and be like WTF with all the pressure between my feet.
Camrock and Zero are really the only alternate cambers that don't take getting used to if you're still on positive camber. You drive rockers more centered and more between your feet.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Weird if magne is so good that all anyone can talk about is how they are trending to mellow it out. I stepped on an Attack, gripped more like Arbors system tech. Better than everything else? I find that hard to swallow if they're dialing it back and its starting to feel like someone else's. Was magne a breakthrough? Yeah, but since then better tech has come out. Are you really gonna try and tell me A New Hope is better than Empire Strikes Back?

Yes Makes one good board. One. The Optimistic. Though better can be had still.

I fail to see why you, Nolefan2011, can't take me seriously on Mervin. Have I said anything in my argument for other companies products over Mervin that wasn't true? No, The Goat with its lessened magne probably wont grip too much, my bad, but it's gonna grip like System if its magne is on par with the Attack. Mervin uses a wet layup that takes more resin, so they are heavier boards. There is no way around that.

Also I will rarely "hate" on a product. I know what it takes to make a board, but if I feel like something else is going to perform better or the same for as much or cheaper I will say so. And if I feel like a particular board is just bad, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. I will direct some significant dislike to certain companies though. Mervin's one of em. I feel they use more hype to drive their company than anything else. For instance, you know how Arbor is getting to where they are? Their boards are dialed. The hype for Arbor is not from Arbor claiming they will make you puke fairy dust if you ride their "chosen one" boards, it's from people like me who rode their boards, found they ride better than anything else, and tell everyone who asks.
I think you are sometimes blurring the lines of how the camber profile grip the snow vs how the MTX grip the snow. Mervin uses various MTX because it is a personal preference. Their pro models use the preference of the rider - some like more aggressive MTX while others like subtle. This is no difference between you and rest of the riders who disagree with you. But there is a distinction between a difference in opinion and difference of fact.

Does Lib hype their products more so than Arbor? I would probably agree with you. Every snowboarding company hype and market their products to a certain degree. But does it mean Mervin boards are crap and suck? No. That is where your opinion and preference clouds your judgement on recommendation to others that would otherwise enjoy the Mervin boards very much.

I have both NS and Arbor and their sidecut tech is no where near as good as MTX for riders on the east coast. This is even more so during night boarding here. I usually bring multiple boards and when the sun go down I always switch over to a MTX board for confidence. Until you consistently ride and understand these conditions, please do not make blanket statement that may seem true for you but not for others.
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nivek through the years has been one of our better gear advice guys.

Ignore his opinion if you like, but I've never seen him steer people in the wrong direction. The same can't be said for a myriad of people on this board.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

Couple points.

On the Mervin sucks subject, shayboarder and the goodride have both given the 2012 Travis Rice excellent reviews. Shay said she kept the board another week because it was so much fun. Hard to believe that a dead board filled with resin would be one she would keep for extended period, or rave about how it was one of the best boards she had been on.

Two, the reviewing for BA comment. That explains a lot. He hates Mervin. I respect that. He also states, to each their own and that there are different strokes for different folks. So he expresses an understanding that everyone likes boards for their own riding style. I have a small theory that his thoughts have rubbed off on your opinion...which is natural when you work for someone. But out of all the sites reviewing Mervin, you two are definitely the minority. Again, I respect BA...he rides a lot of stuff, but everyone has a riding style and some boards are better suited to that than others.

As a park to very free style all mountain, I can agree there are better options than Mervin. From a total free ride perspective, like the original poster stated, I haven't had more fun outside the Optimistic, Heritage, and Travis Rice.

Last, Nivek, ride the Optimistic / Big City before you write off Yes. They are very different from the Dudes. And as far as your comment about the BS serrated edge...they don't use that tech on the Optimistic.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Nivek through the years has been one of our better gear advice guys.

Ignore his opinion if you like, but I've never seen him steer people in the wrong direction. The same can't be said for a myriad of people on this board.
I demoed a lib and loved it and then bought one, so maybe I am biased on this topic, but this comment seems a little off.

I'm sure Nivek gives great reviews and knows his stuff, but it is clear he has a hardon for hating Mervin. Unless Mervin boards truely suck and would be a bad choice for everyone, I'd say Nivek could steer people in the wrong direction (or at least in an un-needed direction) if a Mervin board would be a good choice for them.

I loved the C2BTX when I first jumped on it even after spending my prior 10 years of snowboarding on a camber deck. I haven't tried many other hybrid boards so I don't know how they all compare, but clearly lib does not suck for me. Could I find better? maybe, but I'm happy with the brand new lib that I bought 40% off....very happpy.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote