GNU Billy Goat C2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU Billy Goat C2

Hello
Does anyone have anything bad to say about this board for east coast riding like Jay or Sugarbush.
Was curious how the c2 rides for east coast.I like to all mountain ride and love the glades fresh or old.
Any suggestions on similar boards would be helpful. nothing park!

Thanks ppl
djrflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It will probably be heavy, kind a dead feeling, full of resin, and most likely exhibit too much edge hold.

Try a Ride Highlife, Flow Solitude, Ride Berzerker, Arbor Wasteland, Salomon Mans Board, K2 Protohype.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

i don't think it will have to much edge hold it has the mellowest mag of all mervin boards. the man's board looks interesting but the rest don't stand up. Not for what i am looking for but thanks for the reply
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why exactly do you feel the others don't stand up? They're the better freeride boards on the market built for aggressive manly riders

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Arbor wasteland not stiff enough the a frame a little to stiff. Ride more freestyle than freeride. Dont like the flow for personal reasons. They might be good boards but just don't like them.K2 makes great products but not good freeride stuff. Salomon makes a nice board the burner Jones flaggship looks nice rossi has a new board this year that might fit the bill the krypto but its tuff to drop 500 plus on something you have never ridden. I ride east coast which is allot of hardpack most of the time, powder is great but don't see that much have to poach the woods for fresh tracks need something that can do 60mph on hardpack and turn quick in the woods while looking for fresh tracks.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just looked at the ride website the highlife looks interesting as well !
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

K2 makes some of the dampest freeride boards on the market harshmellow is for realz. Jones and Rossi are both not worth the money. They are less stable and damp than you want if you're maching. I'm curious as to your problem with Flow. They do not make a board I would not personally ride. Even their pricepoint board would make for a fun softer powder killer in a bigger size. Flow has a huge Euro following so their sidecuts are freakin dialed.

Maybe also look into the Nitro Blacklight Gullwing. Gullwing is one of the best camber designs in my experience. It has a characteristic to stiffen up a board when on edge but when you need it to flex and give, it does. It really lets you rail a euro carve without having to man handle a stiffer board around. Super quick edge to edge too

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrflooring View Post
i don't think it will have to much edge hold it has the mellowest mag of all mervin boards. the man's board looks interesting but the rest don't stand up. Not for what i am looking for but thanks for the reply
there's no point in arguing with nivek. he's about as anti mervin as you'll get on this board. he'll always recommend something else that is 'better'

the billy boat will be fine for what you need it for
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin MTX View Post
there's no point in arguing with nivek. he's about as anti mervin as you'll get on this board. he'll always recommend something else that is 'better'

the billy boat will be fine for what you need it for
I genuinely feel there is nearly always better to be had. Merv had a clinch on ice till we got vario from NS, Flows 5 radial sidecut, and Arbor's System tech. And now with zero cam and hybrid camber you get more initiation pts on your board. Mervin feels the need to charge a premium. They use some "exotic" materials, but I've never felt a discenable difference worth the price. Is it a snowboard, will it get you down the hill? Yeah. There's just a lot of hype surrounding the brand i often feel they dont live up to.

Signal has proven you can make a board from start to finish in America, have it ride great, and keep the price down.

And have I said anything in this thread, maybe before this post, that you can argue isnt true? Other than the Goat maybe having too much grip?

Also, buy my things?

Last edited by Nivek; 08-10-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nivek, it's hard to take your anti-Lib Tech / GNU post seriously. For boards that handle the glades well, and can still be all mountain, check out:

Lib Tech - Banana Magic, TRS, Travis Rice - there is Dark Series but it's stiff
GNU - one brand I've never jumped on
Yes - Optimistic or Big City
Ride - High Life
K2 - Turbo Dream, K2 Slayblade (little stiff)
Burton - Custom X - you going 60? That board is fun, but stiff
Never Summer - Heritage

As far as the Mervin stuff, I have yet to ride a board, more fun, for my riding style than the Travis Rice. I have heard I need to jump on a Banama Magic. Several in this forum have said for a groomer board, they haven't ridden anything more fun (believe Leo mentioned that).

If it were me, knowing you were East Coast riding, looking to bomb groomer but still want some play, I would pick up last years Banana Magic. You can get it for $480 brand new at a lot of stores, and avoid the $699 price tag. The only thing that changed was the top sheet, and last year's was better IMO anyway.

The second board would be the Heritage on that list. Super damp, very thick and beefy board, but lighter than an SL because of that Carbonium system. And the vario grip is very good. You can mach on that board, but still have some flex so you don't feel like you are super stiff.

I ride a lot like you do. I like speed, and then as it gets chopped up in the afternoon, I start hitting the trees and natural features. If there is powder, I definitely want to ride that so I like some rocker in the board. So for me, the Travis Rice was it. But knowing you want to push 60 on groomers, the Magic might be the step up you are looking for. The Rice has enough free style features to keep me content when the groomers are chopped to hell.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 08-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote