I'm that guy too - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm that guy too

Hey all. I received a nice Amazon gift certificate as a Christmas gift, and decided to get a snowboard, having never ridden before (skied a lot, fiance boards). I consulted a friend/instructor, and ended up with a 158 Forum Warrior. I felt like I picked up on boarding pretty quickly after a lesson, but tried some steeper runs this weekend (3rd time out), and felt like I was having a lot of trouble initiating my turns. I'm not trying to blame that on the board, as opposed to my ability, but my question is, did I get a board that is over my head? FYI, I'm 5'11", 145 lbs. I can't seem to find many reviews of the board online, but what little I've seen seems to indicate that it's a fairly stiff, advanced skill level board. I'm not opposed to shelving the board for a season and purchasing a more forgiving board if necessary. Any advice?
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

I would say that for your weight it might be a little too big but nothing that will be unmanageable as your skills evolve. You don't need to be blasting black runs on your first season either. Give it some time and a lot of practice. If you feel the need get a shorter board for moguls, freestyle etc. I have a bunch of boards that I just kind of cycle through as I get bored with them. Keeps things interesting.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
TNT

I have the exact same board and same problem. I think in my case it's that I'm just not good enough yet. I get to go boarding maybe 5-10 times a year, so my total lifetime now is about 9 or 10 times I think....though it feels like a lot more. The board seems a bit stiff, but it's really worked well for me in the park and on the slopes. I just need to work on my quick turn abilities.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

For the moment, you bit off a bit more than you can chew. New riders make out the best on shorter, flexible boards. Such boards are more maneuverable and more forgiving than longer, stiffer rides. At your weight, you would be in the suggested weight ranges for some decks as short as 150cm. This is not to say you have the "wrong" board, it just means your a little behind the 8-ball for the time being. Keep taking lessons. Perhaps even a private one. They can really help move things along when you are still at the start of the learning curve. Also, steeper trails are not easy. They take a lot of time and a lot of experience to nail down. Keep with it, and you'll soon be tapping into what that deck really has to offer.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really thinking of replacing the board, even if just to take the mind-F out of the equation. I'm leaning towards the Nitro Revolt, based on what I'm reading hearing. Regarding length, should I go with a 152, or 155. Also, with a size 10 boot, should I go with normal width, or midwide?
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There is certainly merrit in wanting to remove the mental part, espically when you are starting out. As for size, check the Nitro web site, and see what weigth ranges they recommend for the 152 / 155. If you fit within the 152 range, I’d say go with that. With a size 10, you should by ok with a “normal” sie as opposed to a “wide.”

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote