Capita Stairmaster, Horrorscope, or Ultrafear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Stairmaster, Horrorscope, or Ultrafear

Yo,

I'm looking for a new 2012 park board. I live on the east coast, so I'm mainly into freestyle since there's hardly any pow here. However, I'll be taking some trips up north and out west to shred some pow, so I'm looking for a board that will still be able to hit the mountain (not expecting high performance or anything). I'm 5'10" and weigh about 125 with a size 10 boot. I have been looking into the Capita boards, such as the Stairmaster, Horrorscope, and Ultrafear, but I have no idea on which one I'm looking to buy (I also looked at the Never Summer Evo, which had great reviews, so if you could help with that, that would be great). Price limit is $500. So any ideas on which board (and sizes, and regular or wide) would be the best for me would be greatly appreciated, or if you have another board in mind that works too. Thanks!

Brian
bchambers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ultrafear 53 or 55 is what I'd suggest. Playful enough for the park, and with the FK, will ride the pow fine. Or if your looking for a deck that's a little more all mountain charging, check out the NAS in a 55. A direction twin with camber, lots of energy and edge hold. Still easy enough to throw around. Park rider - Ultra, all terrain killer - NAS.
Nose Dradamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Signal Park Flat, Rocker Light, Arbor Westmark, Salomon Drift Rocker, or a Flow Verve. All are included in my best park boards for 2012. If powder is not a concern at 125lbs shoot for about a 150, probably 152 at the biggest.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Horrorscope and used to live out east. It very fun for pressing and messing around in the park, but I wouldn't recommend for hitting the whole mountain. Too soft and the edges felt a bit hooky at the tip and tail comapred to my NS SL, whose vario sidecut excelled on east coast ice. I imagine the Evo wouldn't be too dissimilar as far as ice hold, but can't give you an informed answer, and haven't tried the other boards sorry. But at this point I'd rather have gotten the Evo over the Horrorscope for versatility.
Carl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

i had a horrorscope, and last year bought a westmark based on the reviews from this website. Honestly, i while never go back to that board. As much as i loved the horrorscope and capita, the westmark beats it in every category. The only reason you would want the horrorscope is if you are limited to the $350 price. Its an awesome board for the money, but i feel that the westmark matches the horrorscope in every aspect of rails/jibbing and excels where the horrorscope fell short, which would be all mountain, edge hold and jumps.

im like 135, size 10.5 and ride the 150 westmark
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Comparing apples to apples, a Westmark and Horrorscope are two different animals. You'd buy the Horrorscope if you want a super jibby playful park/rail board. Move up in the line to the Indoor (same price as Westmark) and you have a more stable do anything FK twin.
Nose Dradamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Meh, Owned an Indoor FK. I would choose a 150 Westmark over my 154 Indoor for jumps, stability, edgehold, jibbing... only powder would the Indoor come out. That is one that that the Indoor is really really good in and the reason I still have it. That first year with the carbon X between the feet makes that board a blast to ride around in bounds in deep snow. And if I wanted a super jibby playful board I still wouldn't get the Horror, I'd get a WWW or a Rocker light.

If you want something along these lines for under $400, just remove the Westmark from my previous list. Maybe add the Nitro Swindle.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. So what do you guys think the top 5 park boards are (but also to hit the mountain once in a while) that are under 500. Any more thoughts on the NS evo? I also really like capita, so I'm mainly going towered their boards. However, I wouldn't mind taking a look at other brands (such ad the nitro swindle or westmark). Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only thing from CAPiTA I still like is the Green Machine. Evo is a good board, but due to build process they start loosing liveliness after about day 30 or hard riding, day 50 for the normal cruising weekend warrior.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is the Horrorscope still able to hit the rest of the mountain? I know it's a park board, but if I wanted to take a few runs other than the park would it be difficult to carve/sketchy at high speeds? I just want to make sure I'm not stuck in the park 100% of the time!