K2 Darkstar -vs- Nitro Rook + opinions on either? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default K2 Darkstar -vs- Nitro Rook + opinions on either?

Considering picking up one of these boards... always wanted to try out a Flat deck and my search has pretty much boiled down to these two. (not many shorter wide boards out there)
Probably would be using it 60% for Jumps, 30% for Jibs, 10% freeriding. Here are the main specs.

Rook 154
waist: 252mm
eff.edge: 1150mm
sidecut: 8.4m/7.4m/8.4m

Darkstar Wide 154
waist: 259mm
eff.edge: 1218mm
sidecut: 7.9m

Now my questions...

1. My main concern is that the Eff.Edge on the Rook is abnormally small compared to most boards this size whereas The Darkstar has an Eff.Edge longer or similar to other boards this size. So would be it be correct to assume the Rook would turn like a shorter board? That sounds almost too short, might be a little twitchy for landings?
2. I can't find the Contact Length specs on these boards.. would be nice to know in relation to the eff.edge and overall length. Without knowing the both it's pretty hard to figure out how these will ride.
3. Also how does the Flex compare between these two boards? Which is the stiffer/softer of the two, and how are their flex parterns?
4. And any general opinions on how either of these boards ride?

Thanks.

Last edited by chupacabraman; 08-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had the K2 Darkstar wide 157.. (I think?)

I found it to be a pretty decent board was good at high speeds and turning, was a bit iffy on ice so here in Australia that was a bit of a problem.

Was my First board other then a hire board so I didn't have anything to compare it to so I'm sure there are people on here that can give you a lot more details etc but I found it a decent ride
mitch19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Rook is one of my favorite jump boards lately. It's has a little more torsional give than the Darkstar. So for me the Rook makes a better park jump board than the Darkstar.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies guys. What else are you riding these days on jumps & general riding, Nivek?
Anyone else used either of these boards?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well the Rook is definitely one of my favorite jump decks. This year I will likely be on a Signal Park Flat, possibly with a little tweak of my design, but the normal one should be a pretty good softer park board, good for me as an all around the mountain park stick. For me as a lighter guy the 2012 K2 Fastplant made a really good slightly stiffer park stick. You do have to like the "organic" flex and snap of bamboo for this one. The pop release is different, a fraction slower than carbon. It is only one size, but the Nitro Kooley Pro One Off 153 was really really well done and I had a ton of fun on it. I was told it was a beefed up Subzero, but I was also told it was a 151... so I'm not really sure what it is. I'm assuming it replaced what the Gross Out series was for 2011. So a directional flex twin mid stiff park deck with Gullwing. The funnest board I have ridden for 2012 is still the Blacklist though. I could send a jump with confidence and still get techy on jibs. One of the greatest built boards to date for my style, and BA's for that matter. For a budget my favorites are the Flow Verve, Salomon Drift Rocker, and Signal Park Flat/Rocker Light. Verve was just solid and did more than you'd expect from a pricepoint twin park stick, the Drift rocker was really good giving some solid pop while remaining soft enough to satisfy tiny jib rats, and the Rocker Light was like the Drift but like a hair softer version of that. Good enough snap to satisfy but even jibbier than the Drift.

Also as far as the effective edge difference between the Darkstar and Rook, Nitro is more popular in Europe than the US. For the time Nitro somewhat lost their US presence, they were remained big in Europe. So their sidecuts still cater to that crowd, they are always dialed and work well. They never turn too hard or leave you wanting more sidecut (if you're on the right board for the job, don't expect to euro-carve a Swindle) and they grip better than average for a "techless" sidecut.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Last edited by Nivek; 08-15-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I definitely like some torsional give. I want my board to have good pop and snap to boost well and not fold over and wash out and landings. That Blacklist does look like a nice board, I'll keep that in mind for next year when I head back west... but then again I might just pick up another Agent Rocker for that.

I'm still torn between the Rook & Darkstar. Anyone else have some input on either of those boards? I wish I could get my hands on one to see how it feels... but I'm in Canada