Splitboard vs Slipboard kit $$$ - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Splitboard vs Slipboard kit $$$

God damn splitboards are expensive!!

I'm moving out to Tahoe this season and I plan on getting into hiking some back country while I'm out west.. so a splitboard is on my wish list this season...

It doesn't look like there are a ton of board options for women "Prior" is the only board I've found that comes in a 147. Thats as big as I'll go and its the smallest I've found. Looks like it would be a $1400 investment after bindings and I've never even heard of Prior.

Then you've got the DIY split kits... going for $160. Are these kits reliable? Does anyone think it'd be a better idea to just buy a new board this coming season and splitting my Roxy Envi C2 BTX from this season? Or will I end up just fucking everything up lol

Anyone know of any other women specific split boards? Maybe I'll just get snowshoes and save up for the next next winter....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Before you jump in to riding BC maybe you should try it a few times with snow shoes and get the proper training. Equipment < knowledge
Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

very true.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Equipment < knowledge
Truer words can't be spoken.

I have a DIY, but I did not split it though. Remember though that your split generally comes with the slider plates so you don't have to buy Sparks or Karakorams if you don't want to. My main complaint is when I am hauling ass mock 12 down a slope sometimes my backend comes unclipped. It is just annoying more than anything having the back end of your board flapping around like two wet noddles. I would save up though for the real gear. Beacons are expensive. Buy one of those first and practice with it. Get super familiar with it.

There are places around here, SLC, that will split your board for you for a couple hundred bones if you don't feel comfortable or access to a band saw. I am sure they have those in Tahoe. I would though get slowshoes first since you gotta buy: beacon, probe, shovel, saw?, take an avy class, poles, pack if you don't have one, and I would recommend an avalung too.

Getting out in the BC is super expensive, but by far some of the most fun you can have if done safely.
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh I'm sure its expensive and a whole nother beast. I'm not planning on diving into a shallow pool head first so I will be investing in some avy equipment first. Luckily I'll be taking an avy 1 course this month while I'm down in argentina riding with SASS and hope to gain some knowledge then.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can in the process.

I wasn't planning on buying a splitboard tomorrow.. just looking for more info. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Karasene; 08-11-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Karasene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely get your avy knowledge up. Best way to avoid getting killed in an avalanche is not getting caught in one in the first place.

As far as splits go. Yeah, they are expensive. Check the splitboard.com swap forum for people selling splits. Boards your size pop up here and there in the DIY mode. Prior makes decent riding decks, but they do seem to run a delamination problem with their decks. A high number of them seem to delam by the end of the season. It seems like every year someone on sb.com complains about it.

I really think the women's market has been left out in the (no pun intended) cold by snowboard manufacturers. You are not the first women to say this. I've talked with Vman about this at some detail. I think some company is going to move on it in the near future. The sport is blowing up too much for someone not too.

Also, I wouldn't discount out something like the Voile 154. It might be a bit of a boat for you, but keep in the mind the general rule of thumb is that you can ride something 6cm longer than your resort deck for splitting. Deeper snow, more float, etc.

Last edited by killclimbz; 08-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

And...

Patroller Supply hooks up members on avy gear that I send their way from this forum. Steve, the owner has swung some pretty good deals for several members. Check them out.

Not sure if you have a hook up, but if not this is probably a good place for you to look.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Prior, they are well known in the Split community (in fact that's their specialty). Good quality.
And the DIY kits work fine, I've done it once and many of my friends have also, with positive results. (especially positive for your bank account) Another great reason would be you get the exact type of board you want (hello twin!)
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm not up to snuff on my splitboard knowledge which is why I thought I'd start a thread to gain some knowledge.

For instance I'm not sure if I'd want to go up 6cm. Is that really the case with split boards? On the other hand it is back country pow so I could see how adding a few cm wouldn't be a bad thing.

and thanks Killclimbz. I'll check them out for sure. I'm not going for a purchase immediately but I will deff keep that company in mind.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would recommend upsizing the 6 cm. There were several days were I was thinking damn I wish I had a longer board it was so stupid deep. Fun days but almost too deep for my board.
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote