Keep my K2 Gyrator or get a NS Raptor? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keep my K2 Gyrator or get a NS Raptor?

Hello

Been re-evaluating my quiver this summer, which started with debating on the Proto. I've already asked a question about that which people were kind enough to answer, thanks.

I have a K2 Gyrator from a couple seasons ago, its untouched in its bag. Was going on a several month trip, markets crashed, money dried up, that's life. Since then I haven't bothered taking two/three decks with me traveling as I have an NS SL and I was using it as my only deck for trips.

My question is, while I know the Gyrator is often recommended as a pow stick, am I better off selling it and scraping some cash for a Raptor (or even a Heritage or Premier)? How does the Raptor do in powder compared to a bona fide powder stick? My reasoning being that I am not a west coast resident, I don't sled out to the backcountry, and any powder I hit is resort slackcountry powder. Maybe I'll get a couple of days off of a Cat. But obviously, I do already own this powder board so its available to take on these occasions.

But since a lot of it is resort powder, (maybe someday I'll start making Cat/heli only trips but not right now), and there are groomers and chop to deal with, am I better off getting a Raptor? Is the K2 fine on groomers and chop vs the Raptor's ability in powder? Hope that makes sense.
I'd like to unload the Gyrator in a virgin state now if I'm going that road.

Thanks very much
Carl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Carl,

You may be underestimating the Gyrator. It is a super fun powder board. I found myself boardless (baggage guys lost 5 of my boards-never resurfaced-boo) in Utah for a major two week dump and used a Gyrator. It is a pow specific stick and it is big fun. Most importantly, you already own it and you wll take essentially the same hit on it with a few days of riding if it doesn't work for you. Break it out, wax it up, let 'er rip.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Sorry to hijack the thread, but congrats on the new location Wired. Looks like prime real estate

Keep the stoke alive in OR guys!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep it dude and save the money. The raptor to the gyrator are two completely different boards with 2 completely different shapes. The Gyrator while pow specific you will love if you ever ride Loveland, A Basin, Vail/B.C on a pow day plus it's a bit more versatile than people think. It's a board I wish I had for pow days so I'm not always busting out my 67 summit.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys. Nice to hear I made a good choice back then. Forgotten I had sized it up to a 168, as well, thing should be damn near unsinkable. I take its not too squirrely on the hardpack and chop getting back to the lifts? Saw a video of some guy riding on groomers, had to admit I was surprised at how under control it looked with such a massive rocker.

Just curious BA, what makes you wish you had it over the Summit? Doubt I'll ever get a Summit, but always interested in hearing about other boards.

cheers
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My summit isn't a twin it's a rocket designed for going straight down the mountain. Great if I'm doing a line where I'm not spinning or trying to have freestyle fun.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
I take its not too squirrely on the hardpack and chop getting back to the lifts? Saw a video of some guy riding on groomers, had to admit I was surprised at how under control it looked with such a massive rocker.
No problem at all keeping it under control on a bit of hardpack. Not your first choice for boarder X, but fine for random hard stuff. You are going to love it.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lightbulb

What yeaR gyrator is it, the first couple years they made that it had super wake board rocker, tip to tail with an inch of rise in the nose. Then changed it to flat in the middle with a moderate rise in the tip and tail. The early ones were unsinkable in the pow, then manageable but not ideal on firm snow.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its the 09 model.