Advice needed - buying my first setup. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice needed - buying my first setup.

I hate to add another one of these types of posts to this forum but I would like to hear some opinions before I drop the bones for this board.

I am 5'11", 180 lbs, size 11.5 boot. I just picked this up in 2010 and have about 12 days of riding under my belt. Using only rentals so far.. Not putting up with it for this season. I am decent enough to get around the entire mountain and would like to get into the park at some point. I don't have the stance and angle numbers because I usually just hop on whatever they give me at the shop without a second thought. But, Im guessing they will end being on the more aggressive side of things.

Im looking at a Lib Tech Banana Magic or GNU Altered Genetics. Definitely leaning towards the Banana Magic.

Having a size 11.5 boot can I get by with a 157 (25.4) on the Lib Tech or will I have to go 158W (26.4)? The GNU AG 159 runs a little skinnier.. 25.3 I believe.

Also, binding suggestions and sizing would be welcome.. Looking at Flow, Rome, Ride, K2

Thanks in advance!
RCJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump.. Looking to buy this thing today if possible. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where do you ride?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mostly in Summit County CO
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would go to a store and see if they have those boards in stock and see if they can set up some bindings on there for you. This way you will find a ruff angle you like and also know if you need that wide board, I think you will unless you are angled heavy. While i love the banana in any style, I could see you also going for a k2 darkstar or NS proto ctx.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Find some good boots first. Then you can get a binding that will work well with them, although most bindings don't have problems accompanying a wide range of boot shapes.

Most shops will take a hit on the retail margin if you buy your deck and bindings together. I personally don't like Mervin decks (Gnu/LibTech/Roxy) not because they aren't good, but because they are so damned expensive, I think there are just better options for that kind of money.

I hope DC stuff doesn't go the way of Gnu ... the curse of Quiksilever.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Magne Traction in CO is a waste imo

You should be able to find demo NS sticks in shops now... Just picked up last years infinity for my girl, cheap style.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would love to go to a shop and set this thing up but I live in KC where there isnt an abundance of board shops. The one they do have here doesnt have jack for selection. I'd like to get all of this now while last year's stuff is on heavy discount.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ohhh, ya I moved to Denver from KC, I feel you.

I can't remember the name of the shop I used to hit, but they were all douche bags anyways.

Recommend you looking into Never Summer or YES!

I own a couple NS personally and my lady owns one also.

But now that you say you live in KC, Snow Creek is fairly icy..... I assumed you lived in CO, but maybe a Mag board isn't so bad for you if you ever hit SC.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Snow Creek's park is actually pretty fun considering it's just a 300 ft hill. I took my horrorscope on the plane with me last season over Christmas break and lapped a couple of times. I didn't have too many problems with the conditions. In fact Snow Creek is probably softer than some of the stuff we have out East.

NS Boards have R&C and Variogrip which I found is grip enough.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote