Hot Wax Questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Hot Wax Questions

I've read several of the "how to" type threads for waxing on this forum so I've got the general idea, but these questions are a little more specific.

I hot waxed my board for the first time yesterday. A buddy showed me how to do it so I think I did all the correct steps (assuming he knows what he's doing). Here are my two questions:
1. How will I know if I did a decent job and got all the wax off? The base is a lot more shinny and it is pretty smooth, but it isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. It seems a little sticky when I run my hand down it. The surface is consistant though, no sticky spots...if that makes sense.
2. My buddy told me not to put wax on the nose and tail becasue it is a pain to scrape, but now that I think about it, that probably isn't best. I won't have time to hot wax again, but can I use some rub-on wax on the the nose and tail? Will that be decent?

Thanks guys!!!
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
FrankDaTank089

well when you run your fingers over it, it shouldn't be like grease or anything and be very slippery. if you did a good wax, it should be smooth, but at the same time, it should kind of catch your fingers like if you where rubbing something rubber, i guess. as for the nose and tail, that is personal preferences. I would suggest going ahead and doing it, especially if you plan on riding either one (with tail/nose presses).
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

The nose and the tail aren't the most important unless you are going to be riding on them a lot (buttering, manual whatever you call it ). If you do a rub on it will be fine if you are worried about it. If the board feels sticky you may still have some scraping to do. If you scrape your board and no more wax comes off it is a good time to buff it. I use those green scrubby pads they make for cleaning dishes. Ive seen people go nose to tail, and I've also heard that a good cross hatch pattern is good as well kind of making a V shape going from the tail to the nose. If you have some excess wax on there it won't kill you. Just ride the board and most of it will be gone halfway through the day unless you have giant globs on there. Another thing that can cause stickiness after waxing is if the base is dirty. I usually clean the base of my board off real quick with pine-sol or windex before waxing, not sure if this is right but it works for me and get's all the dirt and seems to help get old wax out. I use a tshirt rag or similar when I clean it and I spend about ten minutes on it. They do make real base cleaner for this and I should probably use it but I'm a cheap bastard.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 02-19-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO

Ive read a lot that you shouldnt use cleaners on your base unless absolutely necessary. A few hot wax scrapes is the best way to clean a base.

also,like mr right said, try to brush it or use a brillo pad. you will definately know if you didnt scrape well enough whenyou get done boarding.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

If your base still feels "Sticky" then you need to keep scraping. The base should be nice and slick when you are done scraping and polishing.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

You might want to sharpen your scrapper, it loses it's 90* edge quick, and scraping with a dull scrapper sucks; trust me

And as they said above, GET A Scotch-Brit pad!!! They cost like 30 cents, and they work great. Use that to buff the hell out of your base, you'll see the finish go from an in-consistent shiny surface to a super consistent surface with a nice pattern to it.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info guys...sounds like I should be fine with my nose and tail.

I scrapped until I couldn't get anymore wax off, but the srapper is pretty dull so there could still be a thin layer...but I did scrape for quite a while. I also used a scotch brit pad to buff it using long strokes from nose to tail. This did make it look nice and smooth/shinny, but it isn't really slick. How hard should I be buffing with this pad? Should I be buffing back and forth real hard, or long strokes in one direction?
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
FrankDaTank089

yea, when i said "it should catch your fingers" i didnt mean in globs of wax. i meant that it shouldn't feel like your fingers are going through grease or baby oil. it should be slick, but kinda of catch your fingers when you press down on it while rubbing your fingers across. thats how i was taught was a good wax. its like there is almost a very very thin layer of rubber on there.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't mean to threadjack, but is it alright if I leave a bit on and let the snow take care of the rest for me? After a good day, most of everything within an inch of eithere dge is gone, so all I have to worry about is the center...is that alrite or should I just get all of it?
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
Don't mean to threadjack, but is it alright if I leave a bit on and let the snow take care of the rest for me? After a good day, most of everything within an inch of eithere dge is gone, so all I have to worry about is the center...is that alrite or should I just get all of it?
All off is better.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote