Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Evo or alternatives (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/40596-evo-alternatives.html)

Slush Puppie 08-16-2011 01:01 PM

Evo or alternatives

I'm considering a 2012 Evo 154. 'on paper' it seems like a good choice for me, good quality, covers the mountain but shouldn't be too stiff or challaging to ride. I've spent many hours researching. And I know that's a poor substitue strapping myself to it.

I'm a beginner. Can link turns, do the same switch, basic flatland tricks.
Feet size 8
Wight: 168lb
Riding type: Groomers, want to progress in the park.
Riding location: mostly europe
bindings: considering 390 boss, raiden phantom or burton malavita.
boards ridden so far: Option Franchise 153, Option Mirror 153

I'm aware that this is an expensive board and also that I should probably look to rent a while to try lots of boards. Partly I'm impatient but partly I don't want my own setup for consistency and willing to take an educated risk.

Also happy to get a cheaper board if that's the best option for me. Really I don't mind if I waste some money, it's my time I don't want to waste.

So my question has two parts:

1) would the evo be a great/disasterous choice
2) what other boards should I consider? The Arbor westmark/blacklist are also on my radar along with a couple others.

Thanks if you can help.

Milo303 08-16-2011 01:08 PM

A soft reverse camber board is a great choice for a beginner. They're very forgiving.

The Evo is a good first choice if you have loot and want a board that will grow with you.

I got my girl an Infinity for her first stick. Would've liked to have gotten something even softer though

chupacabraman 08-16-2011 02:00 PM

Of those 3 bindings: the 390s will be the softest, the Phantoms mid, and the Malavitas the stiffest. (all are good bindings)

JRZBoarder 08-16-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Really I don't mind if I waste some money, it's my time I don't want to waste.
There's a flaw there. Time is money.

The Evo seems like a good choice though. It's actually a board I will consider getting in the future.

jdang307 08-16-2011 03:01 PM

For me it was down to the westmark and Evo. Pick one. Both are great.

The westmark is a full reverse camber though, so do you ride a lot of sketchy ice? You'll just need to keep it on edge so I've read.

syphabiscuit 08-16-2011 04:20 PM

I'd say ride some crappy boards so that you will appreciate the awesomeness that is the Evo (funnest board Ive ridden) but really you might as well just get one. There's no way on God's green earth you'll be disappointed. It won't be a board for hard carving or bombing (it will cope but not excel) but for all round freestyle it will help you improve loads and you will have so much fun riding it.

Probably buying a Westmark in the next few days. I'd probably recommend this more as a first board as it is a bit stiffer and will be better all mountain but if park is your preference anyway you would love the Evo.

I bet the blacklist would be fun too mind!!

Slush Puppie 08-18-2011 12:41 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm just going to pick up the Evo :)

jdang307 08-18-2011 01:32 PM

That's exactly what I did. Now I just need, you know, snow.