Tuning your own board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Tuning your own board?

Im thinking about learning to tune my own board. i have an old board to practice my first try on so im not really worried about messing it up if i happen to screw up.
But my question is.. is it better to get the quick file which has 0 - 2 degrees.. or would you reccomend getting a kit with the gummy stone, diamond stone ect... are all these extras actually needed?

If i do get a kit i would be thinking about getting an iron also since all the ones im my house have holes in them..
if you have one or do your own tuning i would appreciate it if you can help me know what specific tools i should be looking for.
Thanks a lot!
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCboarder View Post
Im thinking about learning to tune my own board. i have an old board to practice my first try on so im not really worried about messing it up if i happen to screw up.
But my question is.. is it better to get the quick file which has 0 - 2 degrees.. or would you reccomend getting a kit with the gummy stone, diamond stone ect... are all these extras actually needed?

If i do get a kit i would be thinking about getting an iron also since all the ones im my house have holes in them..
if you have one or do your own tuning i would appreciate it if you can help me know what specific tools i should be looking for.
Thanks a lot!

buler? buler? anyone? anyone?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would say you'll find most of your answers in the "General Maintenance" forum.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

ah good point thanx for the info... who ever can close this thread.. please do
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
The mainstays for a home tuning kit are:

Base edge file guide and file: A device the allows you to evenly and precisely maintain the board`s base edge bevel.

Side edge file guide and file: A device that allows you to evenly and precisely maintain the board`s side edge bevel. Will also be used periodically to sharped the edges by gently running in down the side edge of your board.

Diamond stone and Gummi stone: Shapening stones designed to deburr the edges after sharpening them with the edge tuner. The Gunni stone is very gentle and is used as a finishing touch to make your sharp edges very smooth.

Wax, Iron, Scraper, Scotch Brite, nylon and horse hair brush and felt cork: Tools needed to wax, scrape and polish your board.

For repairs, you will have a couple of Ptex candles to light and dribble the melted Ptex into gashes on your base. Clear and black for different bases.
Thanx for the info Snowolf your the best!.. one other quick question.. what are the point of the credits under out names ? lol
<-------------
Old 02-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
ecave84

anyone got a recommendation on a good file guides and where to get them. Ive looked around and all i can find are those pocket guides for the side edge. i want to keep my 1 deg base and side bevel on my rome.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

i believe swix makes one, im sure others have as well but i have seen the swix one at my store. the one i saw was for the base edge, and for side edges i have this bakoda one, works fine and have seen many others with the same design
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
sl33pyriceboi

i jsut waxed by board for the first time...i took me like 2hrs cuz i ovvvvvvvvvvver dripped it with wax...lol
Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

When I over drip mine (drinking and waxing ) I try to use the iron to push most of the excess wax into one glob to shorten scrape time. I'm going to get a metal scraper soon as I think I've outgrown my old plastic one. Should speed up the process.