skate banana - skating difficulty! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default skate banana - skating difficulty!

hey guys,

recently swapped over to a Lib skate banana after previously only using traditional camber boards.

im finding that its really hard to skate/glide in turns without spinning out all the time!

used to have no problems making it through entire runs with only 1 boot strapped in, but since swapping over to a rocker board,
as soon as i put a little bit of toe/heel into the board, it just starts to pivot on the center camber point and spin me round 180/360.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues with reverse camber boards? if so what do you do to counter it? place your unstrapped foot
closer to the middle of the board and try riding with ur weight distributed over the front half of the board instead??

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Audwin
asdf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're right it is a little more squirrely skating on a reverse cambered deck. It just takes a bit of getting used to, you'll get the hang of it soon, don't over think it too much.
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do you like the board otherwise?
gnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf4 View Post
hey guys,

recently swapped over to a Lib skate banana after previously only using traditional camber boards.

im finding that its really hard to skate/glide in turns without spinning out all the time!

used to have no problems making it through entire runs with only 1 boot strapped in, but since swapping over to a rocker board,
as soon as i put a little bit of toe/heel into the board, it just starts to pivot on the center camber point and spin me round 180/360.

Has anyone else experienced the same issues with reverse camber boards? if so what do you do to counter it? place your unstrapped foot
closer to the middle of the board and try riding with ur weight distributed over the front half of the board instead??

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Audwin
and you have no problem skating before? rocker boards just take a bit of time to get used to. honestly, it is not that big of a problem at all. i think 10 trips up and down and you should feel right at home
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf4 View Post
hey guys,

place your unstrapped foot closer to the middle of the board and try riding with ur weight distributed over the front half of the board instead??
Actually thats what I do. For centre RC boards I skate with back foot on the centre or closer to the front and steer with half a board, I find stopping and changing directions whilst skating easier this way.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnick View Post
How do you like the board otherwise?
besides the gliding issues, the board is awesome!

amazing pop and turns are oh so easy and quick, rides well in powder, but i spose most reverse camber boards would do the same?
The magnatraction edges are super grippy when carving but at the same time
i find they can also catch quite easily when ur flat boarding through an icey cat track. Had a few embarassing spills lol.

pros and cons i spose, but overall im pretty happy with it.
Im still relatively new to boarding so i probably wont be able to give you the most technical review!

Cheers,
Audwin
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin MTX View Post
and you have no problem skating before? rocker boards just take a bit of time to get used to. honestly, it is not that big of a problem at all. i think 10 trips up and down and you should feel right at home
Yep, had no problem whatsoever before, no matter how much weight i try and put on that back foot, as soon as i start turning, the board just starts to pivot. i have my rear boot locked in against the binding. im guessing the back half of the board is just not getting enough contact with the snow and doesnt dig in, which in turn causes the spins :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Osprey View Post
Actually thats what I do. For centre RC boards I skate with back foot on the centre or closer to the front and steer with half a board, I find stopping and changing directions whilst skating easier this way.
Glad to hear im not the only one! so did you have issues with spinning out as well in normal boot position against the binding? im guessing you have a massive stomp pad or something in the middle of the board to keep your foot planted? is it way harder to balance seeing as your weight is only distributed across half of the board?

Thanks for the feedback guys!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

No I dont have issues spinning out with my foot against the back binding. Actually RC boards are not difficult to skate on much more than any other board. Straight Gliding is pretty much the same. But I like to steer for a while (both toe and heel side turns) to get to where I want to strap in further down the slope so I find if you dont distribute your weight properly on an RC board you dont have enough edge contact to get the controlled feeling you want.

No I dont have a massive stomp pad and in general I dont like/advocate the use of one for the sole reason that it encourages you weighting your back foot when you skate (placing it against the back binding prevents slipping but you should still weight your front foot more, skating is not the same as riding and IMHO shouldnt be treated that way).

I find that its not hard to balance with your weight over half the board, and infact feel its easier, but there is NO CORRECT WAY for this. I like to balance most of my weight over the part of the board I will eventually brake with cos if you skate someway down the slope you gain speed and if your back foot is all over the place it could get ugly. But why dont you try various options and see how it goes? People do so many one-legged tricks these days that the possibilites are endless.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote