NS Proto - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto

Looking for size advice on a NS Proto. I actually just bought a 157 the other day buy I'm thinking it's a little too big for me. Gonna most likely swap it out for either a 154 or a 152. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs, but I was thinking longer because I'd like a little more dampening and stability at speed. After I brought it home though I read that the board rides longer than it is. Any suggestions on what I should go for?
afield4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I got a 153 SL last year and also heard they ride longer, I found this not to be true. I'm 140 5'8" and wish I would have gone with the 155.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

this year it actually has a blunted tip, supposedly "making it ride longer" it still has the same amount of edge as a board at least 2 cm's bigger. That being said why not try it out before anything.
fcpchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afield4 View Post
Looking for size advice on a NS Proto. I actually just bought a 157 the other day buy I'm thinking it's a little too big for me. Gonna most likely swap it out for either a 154 or a 152. I'm 5'6" and 140lbs, but I was thinking longer because I'd like a little more dampening and stability at speed. After I brought it home though I read that the board rides longer than it is. Any suggestions on what I should go for?
I'd personally go 152 at that weight. But it depends on what you want to do.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm thinking I'm going to go 154. It would be nice to be able to shred everything on one board. I ride a lot of powder and backcountry, and love to bomb groomers so the float and stability will be key. Hit the park mostly when the conditions aren't good and I've got nothing else to do, but I still do enjoy it quite a bit. The only thing is I'm probably going to pick up another board as well that will be the main backcountry monster deck. So I just have to decide whether I want the proto to be more of the fun freestyle board or if I'd prefer to have it perform just a little better all over the mountain. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're not going to see a lot of difference going from a 57 to a 54..... Just keep your board and man up to learn how to manipulate it

With your weight and manning up, you can do it all with the 57
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
You're not going to see a lot of difference going from a 57 to a 54..... Just keep your board and man up to learn how to manipulate it

With your weight and manning up, you can do it all with the 57
You think so? I mean, I know it's not like it would terrible if it was a little long for me, I'm just concerned that this length is going to ride like a 160 (which would be way too long for me). Apparently it has the effective edge of something like a 160 but the blunted tips shave off a few centimeters. I feel like this size would be fine for everything besides freestyle, and I still have those days where I want to do nothing but spin and jib. I've been riding about 15 years and have been on everything from a 148 to a 156. Even on the 56 I could still play around fairly well. If the 154 Proto rides like a 57 though, then it will still be like the biggest I've had. That's why I'm even considering the 52 if I know I want it for mainly freestyle.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Going from a 57 to a 54 isn't going to do much....

Going down to a 52 would put you more towards the park end and you'll loose pow riding. You said you ride more BC and pow than you do park, so I'd stick with the longer end of the spectrum and just man up for park riding.

I range from 175 to 200 lbs and rock a 62 Heritage for pretty much everything. Although I did just pick up a 57 Revolver to ride with my woman because she's just learning.

Just be happy with your sick board! Have fun ( =
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Basically I'm saying either go with a 52 or keep your 57
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good advice. Thanks Milo! If I keep the 57 then I probably wouldn't have to pick up another deck for backcountry/pow days eh? I do soooo badly want a Heritage or Raptor though. How to you like yours? The shop owner where I bought my Proto told me he rides a Heritage and it's the best big mountain board he's ever strapped into!