Riding a 181 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Riding a 181

I know I've made a couple threads about this topic, but I want to be 100% sure before I buy.

I'm a big guy, 225 pounds (103kg) and 5'11-6' depending on the day (181-183cm) Wear a size 12-13 boot. I'm also 14, so I have a lot of room to grow in the time I plan on keeping this board. Am I going to have any problems riding a Venture Storm 181?

I'm an entirely freeride guy, lots of carving, if it's a small run I might bomb it, but I've had two concussions, so I'm wary of anything too crazy, especially the park, I will never go into the park. I have ridden a 168W rental for the past two seasons, and felt that it was just not stable enough at speeds for me. I do have about 10-15 days on a mountain I know well and am quite bored with before I go out West. Most of my riding this year will be on a crappy NE Ohio mountain (Alpine Valley, I've ridden there for two years, there's not enough to keep one interested past one year). After this year though, all my riding will be out West or in Europe.

Just want to get your thoughts. I'm pretty convinced on the Storm, and the 27 cm Waist (I ride a low angle rear binding and size 12 boots).

Thanks in advance for your help.
MrOverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You really don't need a board that big. 181 is huge. Even if you gained some more pounds as you got older, that is still pretty large. If you really want a big board and just want to do big carves, sure, you can probably get away with it.

What makes you want such a big board? You can find plenty of smaller boards with big waist widths that will support your size and be WAY quicker and responsive.

I'm 6'4 200 and ride a 161 C2 board. My older board was 167. I think you could be looking at a board in the high 160s unless you are dead set on a really big board.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

181? I didn't know they still made snowboards that big. Sounds pretty excessive if you ask me, there are lots of guys around your size or bigger who ride much smaller boards.

Something to keep in mind is that rental boards mostly suck, and are not a good representation of what a good board should ride like. The Storm is a freeride stick for sure, which means it's made to handle that type of riding. Because it's made to handle that type of riding, a huge one would likely just be cumbersome.

I would personally stick in the 160's range, with all of the new technology out there most of these boards ride bigger then they are anyways.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm really not sure why I want a big board, it's just that in every sport I've done that involves a board, a big one has just felt "right". I started surfing, and when I was 8-10 I tried a 6' shortboard, but just couldn't ride it. Ended up moving to 9-11' longboards (keep in mind that that was when I was 10). Also, directly related to snowboarding, I know that rental boards are not a good representation, but I tried to ride a 164, and it felt too short, not in the noodlyness department or anything like that, it just felt unstable/like it just wasn't there. I took one run and went back for the 168.

I'm pretty set on the 172 or 181 Storm for the reasons I mentioned earlier (boot size, Venture makes great boards, I like the storm).

Is there anything wrong with my logic that I can get a 181, learn how to ride it on the 10-15 days I have at Alpine (Shitty boring repurposed landfill) and go out West after that? Because I've been getting really bored at Alpine, and I think that having a challenge to learn how to ride the board would help with my boredom.

Last edited by MrOverkill; 08-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can go any size you want, it's just that the bigger the board - the harder to initiate and make turns. Every turn is going to take more effort and you will lose maneuverability. When you go out West your terrain is not going to be limited to shitty, flat wide open groomers. Your going to have powder, trees, bowls, steeps etc...

Having a lot of maneuverability on those types of terrain is very important. Grant you I'm 145lb 5'7, but I freeride on a 151 and love it because It's incredibly responsive and I never have to worry about making hairpin turns.

Honestly, humongous freeride boards have kind of become a thing of the past. More then anything they limit your riding.

Last edited by HoboMaster; 08-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I always thought that going out West would give me more room, the fun runs at Alpine are maybe 40' across. I probably won't do trees, as I wouldn't really trust myself on any board not to hit a tree (if the forests out there are as dense as our Ohio Maple forests. I'll have to take another look at the specs (I don't have acrobat installed on my comp, so looking at the specs PDF is a real pain.) But I might end up getting the 172. I was also thinking to get the 181, and then later on (one or two seasons from now, pick up a Prior Pow-Stick in a 176 or 167 for my shorter board.

Last edited by MrOverkill; 08-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverkill View Post
I always thought that going out West would give me more room, the fun runs at Alpine are maybe 40' across. I probably won't do trees, as I wouldn't really trust myself on any board not to hit a tree (if the forests out there are as dense as our Ohio Maple forests. I'll have to take another look at the specs (I don't have acrobat installed on my comp, so looking at the specs PDF is a real pain.) But I might end up getting the 172. I was also thinking to get the 181, and then later on (one or two seasons from now, pick up a Prior Pow-Stick in a 176 or 167 for my shorter board.
You are true to your name MrOverkill
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're only 14? WTF are you eating?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, Unfortunately I didn't have the funds for some Malamutes, or ThirtyTwo Primes, but I am getting the Raiden Machines, and probably next season I'll sell my Rulers and pick up a pair of stiffer boots.

I think I'm going to stick with the 181, because I don't know how much I'm going to grow (One side of the family is weightlifters, the other 6'8 to 7' tall, I was predicted to be 6'8, but I think I'll settle somewhere around 6'3, 300# when I'm a senior (I'll be playing football/doing shotput through High School, so I will bulk up like mad). And I can always learn to deal with a harder turn initiation. The fact that the Pow-Stick rides shorter than its length (Shorter contact edge, higher sidecut radius) should allow me to pick up a nice higher maneuverability board later on.

Also, I'm not particularly fat either, I've been around 200 from my fatty days at 9 or 10, I was about 5'4 and 200, I've fluctuated within about 15 pounds in either direction until this Spring, when I started working out a little bit and hit 220.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

"More space" doesn't necessarily mean wider more spacious runs. The mountains are bigger and the terrain is more varied, but it just becomes steeper and more challenging....and WAY more fun. You can stick to the easy groomers and they will probably be longer than what you have, and maybe wider depending on the run, but like you said, those runs start to become boring.

If you really want to have fun snowboarding you will want to progress and take on more challenging terrain or start trying tricks or things like that. That is what prevents snowboarding from getting boring. If I just stuck to cruising the easy blue runs I would get bored and quit snowboarding.

My concern for you is that if you get a huge board, progressing and taking on more challenging/fun runs will be difficult.

Definitely go with the 172 instead of the 181 if you really want a big board....although I think you still might be better off with something smaller, but it sounds like you really want a big board.

EDIT - didn't see your last post when I posted this. If you really think you are going to be a big guy, I understand the desire for a bigger board. There is one really big dude on this forum (i.e. 6'9ish and high 200s) so you should ask him.....I forget his name, but I'll post it back here once I remember. He rides boards in the mid 160s I think.

Last edited by schmitty34; 08-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote