What board size? NS Heritage - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What board size? NS Heritage

I tend to buy a board and ride it to death... I've had my current Option Makinen for 6 years now, its a 161.

Pretty much have my heart set on a new Never Summer Heritage (probably the X for a wide board)... but I'm not sure on the size.

I'm 6', 180lbs, size 12 shoe, size 11 snowboard boot..
.. all mountain charger, limited park riding, mostly big snow and trees.

Never Summer doesn't provide a sizing chart... What do you guys think... looking at the Heritage-X, should I get a 159 or a 163?

Thanks.
eddieshowcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Either would work for you. 159 would be more playful and more nimble in the trees while 163 would be better for charging and more float in pow.

Which is more important to you? Personally, with what you've stated, I'd go 163.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would email them perhaps, or just go with a regular length that you are used to.
Never Summer Snowboard Size Chart - 2011 | evo
NO idea how accurate that is
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

My old board was a 160 and the local shop recommended sizing down to a 158. Here is an email response I received from Never Summer:

Unfortunately we do not have a size chart. Here at Never Summer we base board size on previous board size and personal preference. Just know that most people are sizing down with our new rocker camber technology because a smaller board feels like a bit of a bigger board because of the added stability and highspeed edgehold.

So, if you're going to be doing some park and some spins I would recommend the 158. However, if you're mainly going to be cruising groomers and pow runs I would recommend the 161.

I ended up getting a Proto CT 157
SigCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I have the 2012 Heritage and honestly at 180, a 163 would be overkill on length. Neversummer sizes these boards in 147, 155, 158, 160, 162 and 165. In all honesty a 158 is more than enough board for you and the 155 may actually be ideal. The board rides like a longer board from a damp and stability standpoint and the rocker / camber profile makes it float in powder far better than any traditional camber. I am 190 and 6 foot and the 158 is plenty long even in the deep poo.

For what you describe and your weight, I would go with the 158....

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. I had heard/read that NS boards ride "big" for their size... and you just confirmed it, so a 158/159 it is.

I have a size 12 foot, but 11 or 11.5 size boot, I was thinking I'd go with the Heritage "X" (wide version) in a 159... are you suggesting a regular heritage in 158? Just curious... its waist is 25.4 vs 26.1 for the X model.

Last edited by eddieshowcase; 08-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.
eddieshowcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Holy chit, at 6'2" and 215 I ride a 165 NS Heritage and have never felt like it was too much. I called NS last year before I ordered the new 2011 R/C version and spoke with a guy there about board length. He recommended that I order the same size I normally ride, in this case it was a 165 NS Heritage from 2006. In the end I am glad I took his advice, I have never felt like the board is too big, in fact to me the R/C version rides "smaller" than a cambered version, i.e. its easier to turn and WAY more forgiving. This way you get supreme float in POW and the bombing "just point it" speed all in a more nimble and forgiving package.

My $.02, your results may vary.
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I too have size 11.5 and have been debating whether or not to downsize from a wide to a mid-wide board....The best I think would be to try your L/XL bindings & boots on the board because you don't want toe drag! Problem is I can't try the boards I'm interested in where I live so I'm gonna probably stick to a wide board just to be on the safe side....
tribalsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Think with size 11 snowboard boot you might look at the Regular Heritage in the 158 or 160 area. Still gives you like 25.6 cm waist width(for a 160cm board). Think Ecks on here had a 160 heritage last year and had similar boot size if I remember correctly.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb3 View Post
Holy chit, at 6'2" and 215 I ride a 165 NS Heritage and have never felt like it was too much. I called NS last year before I ordered the new 2011 R/C version and spoke with a guy there about board length. He recommended that I order the same size I normally ride, in this case it was a 165 NS Heritage from 2006. In the end I am glad I took his advice, I have never felt like the board is too big, in fact to me the R/C version rides "smaller" than a cambered version, i.e. its easier to turn and WAY more forgiving. This way you get supreme float in POW and the bombing "just point it" speed all in a more nimble and forgiving package.

My $.02, your results may vary.
It's really all personal preference. The trend lately has definitely been to size down.

I personally prefer the stability and edge hold of a slightly bigger board. I'm 5'11" 180 and my pow stick is a 164, my all mountain is a 160, and my park stick is a 158.

To each his own.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think the logic behind the sizing down thing for alternative camber boards is the float in powder you get with them. A 158 has the same powder performance of say a 164 cambered deck in powder. Hence the rides longer. I've certainly found them to be great in pow and certainly perform like a bigger board. As far as turning and that sort of thing, definitely not longer. If anything, easier to turn on a dime. I went from a 167 cambered split to a 163 alt camber split with no hit that I can think of in the powder performance. I also did get the 63 in a wide model which makes up for some of the hit I took in length too. Still, the float I have is way better than the cambered deck.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote