Considering a hybrid rocker or flat camber advice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering a hybrid rocker or flat camber advice?

Hey everyone, I have been riding traditional camber boards for quite a while, and I am considering moving to a hybrid rocker board this season. We don't get many if any demo days at my resort and there obviously wont be snow for another 3 months, so I thought I would post.

I read snowolfs review of the NS Heritage http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...-heritage.html, and I thought he brought up an interesting point about the hybrid design. He stated that the board performed nearly as good as a camber board on groomers, but it performed much better in bumps/trees. Areas that require a lot of work to ride well on a regular camber board.

I saw another interesting post on another forum which really turned me on to the idea of a hybrid camber. I have been looking and cant seem to come up with the link... Anyway the guy seemed to be a competent rider and was talking about how much fun the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro was for doing shorter radius carved turns.

I have been riding a 09/10 rossignol one mag midwide regular camber board. This is the version before Rossis early rise Amptek thing. I put 40 days on it last year including 5 days in Washington/Idaho. I love how the board performs on groomed runs and on steeps. The edge hold is great. It has a nice medium flex. It isn't overly stiff, so you can twist it. The board is ok in powder and bumps. The only negatives I have with this board are the weight - its not heavy but doesn't feel light, and it could transition quicker edge to edge. I really do like the one mag, but I would like to get into something that's lighter and a little more playful without sacrificing carving performance on groomers.

Some boards I have on the radar are the NS Heritage, Lib Travis Rice Pro, k2 Slayblade, Smokin Big Wig, Ride Arcade UL. I am seriously considering the Travis Rice as its won Good Wood 2 years in a row and every review says its great. I know some people say magnetraction doesn't make a difference. I don't think it does when the conditions are good, however I do feel my one mag really grips when the conditions are less than ideal - which occurs frequently at the resorts in my area. Maybe I just imagine it I dunno but that seems to be a plus for the Travis Rice. I am concerned about the weight of the travis rice. What are your thoughts on any or all of these boards? I would really appreciate any advice thanks!

Ive ridden a few flat/rocker boards

09/10 Burton blunt - in my opinion the board felt light and turned VERY quickly. I didnt really dig this board as I really like to carve and don't ride a lot of park other than jumps and pipe. The blunt seemed to want to wash out when I pushed it. I know the edges come detuned so maybe that had something to do with it. Short radius turns at slower speeds were great though.

09/10 Ride DH 2 - Every review Ive read for this board says its average/mediocre ~ nothing to write home about. I rode the wide version in really nice packed powder conditions in Utah. I thought the board performed great. It carved well, had nice transitions for a wide board, made quick low speed turns, and was stable at higher speeds with good edge hold. The only downside I can remember was the weight. It just felt kinda average for weight. This is probably due to it being a wide board.

10/11 Burton (i forget the name) hybrid rocker - I took one run on a friends board last year and perhaps i should have given it more of a chance. This board felt really light underfoot like the blunt however I thought it felt sketchy compared to my camber board 09/10 Rossignol One mag. The board felt light and it seemed to want to pivot. The board had good edge hold once you were into a carve, but initiating a carve felt strange compared to a camber board. In this board defense it was way too big and the bindings weren't setup to my liking.

08/09 Lib Tech Skunk ape - I liked the edge hold of this board and remember it felt really stable. I also remember it feeling kinda heavy and it felt really stiff. The board was once again too big for me and I didn't like the binding setup at all. Its been a while, but I think I remember liking the turn initiation.
WVrider84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrider84 View Post
Hey everyone, I have been riding traditional camber boards for quite a while, and I am considering moving to a hybrid rocker board this season. We don't get many if any demo days at my resort and there obviously wont be snow for another 3 months, so I thought I would post.

I read snowolfs review of the NS Heritage http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...-heritage.html, and I thought he brought up an interesting point about the hybrid design. He stated that the board performed nearly as good as a camber board on groomers, but it performed much better in bumps/trees. Areas that require a lot of work to ride well on a regular camber board.

I saw another interesting post on another forum which really turned me on to the idea of a hybrid camber. I have been looking and cant seem to come up with the link... Anyway the guy seemed to be a competent rider and was talking about how much fun the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro was for doing shorter radius carved turns.

I have been riding a 09/10 rossignol one mag midwide regular camber board. This is the version before Rossis early rise Amptek thing. I put 40 days on it last year including 5 days in Washington/Idaho. I love how the board performs on groomed runs and on steeps. The edge hold is great. It has a nice medium flex. It isn't overly stiff, so you can twist it. The board is ok in powder and bumps. The only negatives I have with this board are the weight - its not heavy but doesn't feel light, and it could transition quicker edge to edge. I really do like the one mag, but I would like to get into something that's lighter and a little more playful without sacrificing carving performance on groomers.

Some boards I have on the radar are the NS Heritage, Lib Travis Rice Pro, k2 Slayblade, Smokin Big Wig, Ride Arcade UL. I am seriously considering the Travis Rice as its won Good Wood 2 years in a row and every review says its great. I know some people say magnetraction doesn't make a difference. I don't think it does when the conditions are good, however I do feel my one mag really grips when the conditions are less than ideal - which occurs frequently at the resorts in my area. Maybe I just imagine it I dunno but that seems to be a plus for the Travis Rice. I am concerned about the weight of the travis rice. What are your thoughts on any or all of these boards? I would really appreciate any advice thanks!

Ive ridden a few flat/rocker boards

09/10 Burton blunt - in my opinion the board felt light and turned VERY quickly. I didnt really dig this board as I really like to carve and don't ride a lot of park other than jumps and pipe. The blunt seemed to want to wash out when I pushed it. I know the edges come detuned so maybe that had something to do with it. Short radius turns at slower speeds were great though.

09/10 Ride DH 2 - Every review Ive read for this board says its average/mediocre ~ nothing to write home about. I rode the wide version in really nice packed powder conditions in Utah. I thought the board performed great. It carved well, had nice transitions for a wide board, made quick low speed turns, and was stable at higher speeds with good edge hold. The only downside I can remember was the weight. It just felt kinda average for weight. This is probably due to it being a wide board.

10/11 Burton (i forget the name) hybrid rocker - I took one run on a friends board last year and perhaps i should have given it more of a chance. This board felt really light underfoot like the blunt however I thought it felt sketchy compared to my camber board 09/10 Rossignol One mag. The board felt light and it seemed to want to pivot. The board had good edge hold once you were into a carve, but initiating a carve felt strange compared to a camber board. In this board defense it was way too big and the bindings weren't setup to my liking.

08/09 Lib Tech Skunk ape - I liked the edge hold of this board and remember it felt really stable. I also remember it feeling kinda heavy and it felt really stiff. The board was once again too big for me and I didn't like the binding setup at all. Its been a while, but I think I remember liking the turn initiation.
Welcome to the hybrid camber world. In addition to the T.Rice don't forget about the Phoenix which is very similar but more subtle MTX and just not as hyped up as the TR. Skunk Ape is a wide TRS and if too big then it is a stiff board. However, just for comparison, the Rice is a bit stiffer than the TRS. Make sure you get the right length.
Mervin MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Mervin thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned above that I wear a size 11 boot, so I am kinda caught in between regular and wide. I really like that the 157 Travis rice has a 258 waist with a more aggressive side cut compared to your other boards. I think my current rossignol has like a 263 waist which makes me think the T Rice would be a little quicker edge to edge.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You usually don't need a wide with an 11. I would definitely take a look at the Flow Drifter. Its right in that medium flex all mountain slot and the sidecut they use on there boards with I-Rock is amazing. It is still the smoothest and best gripping non-technical sidecuts I have ever ridden. It gripped nearly as well as Arbor's system tech with the bumps. The rocker is similar to Nitro Gullwing, rocker between the feet and micro camber outside. So the camber in the tips is just enough to level them out. They also use a convex base between the feet, just makes edge to edge really smooth and a little faster.

The other one I would consider would be the Nitro Team Gullwing. Built really well, strong, snappy, and Nitro's sidecuts are always dialed. Gullwing also has this characteristic to stiffen a board when its on edge. So with the Team Gullwing in turns it is going to feel like a board built for bombing but the get in the tips or powder and its real flex will let you bend the board a little.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrider84 View Post
Anyway the guy seemed to be a competent rider and was talking about how much fun the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro was for doing shorter radius carved turns.
I ride a T.Rice HP, and it really is a fabulous board for what it does, but it definitely has a rider profile. If you want to go fast on anything, kick ass in powder, and throw huge air, it doesn't get much better than a T.Rice. If you want to do lots of ground tricks or rails, it... gets a lot better than a T.Rice.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

also checkout the banana magic. I was really stuck last season weather to get a trice hp or magic. I got a magic based on numerous reviews and youtube video re..v.iews. Super glad i did. It does the whole mtn really well but its soul is freeride and thats my world. I also have a supermodel x and a custom x..
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for some other ideas Nivek. I will look into those decks. My old board has a 250 waist with an aggressive sidecut and I have had some heel/toe drag issues when pushing it. Which I don't like.

Ballistic - I saw that banana magic board. I am still a big fan of camber boards. The profile of the banana magic seems too much like a continuous rocker or that burton hybrid design which I didn't like. I am sure it rips, but I am not sure if its inline with my riding style. How does the lib tech board hold up compared to your custom x? I assume the custom x is regular camber? I have read the custom x is a very light board how would you rate the weight of the banana magic to the custom x?

Irahi - The HP model seems pretty awesome. I am much more of a freerider vs park feen. I like that you say the Travis Rice is great at high speeds. How well does it make short radius turns? What is its low speed performance like? If you have any thoughts... if not its cool.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

hey WV

the magic is very stable at speed. I also have skate banana,, the 2 boards are very different. The skate is pure rocker, squirrely but fun. The magic definitely has camber.. only a little bit less than T.rice. Make no mistake the magic is fairly stiff agressive board, fantastic for carving yet due to its rocker nose I dont remember catching an edge even once last season. The Supermodel x is similar to magic but camber only... these are my favorite 2 boards right now. You know the smx is freeride carving machine, right? no doubt about that. Well the magic is a playful freeride machine. The trice i am told would be closer to a even stiffer freeride deck. The magic carves short or long radius really well. see this vid here... Lib Tech Skate Banana vs Banana Magic vs Attack Banana snowboard reviews by Board Insiders - YouTube
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey Ballistic thanks for the heads up on the magic. I didnt really look at the specs besides the rocker profile. It has a NASTY sidecut radius!!, and the waist width is in alignment with what I am looking for.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check out the Rome Agent Rocker. Comparable to T-Rice, IMO better. Nitro Team Gullwing if you're on a budget but it's not nearly as good as those two. You don't need a Mid or Wide board, but why not? It can only make things better...
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote