New rider seeking some assistance for a first setup with a 5-700$ budget. - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For a good boot it can go from 250 - 400 easy.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Brand New Lashed are $199 but you can find them cheaper on sales. I got two pairs of Lashed last season for $150 and love'm. Also I have a pair of DC Judge BOA and love them too.
But def make sure you try them all on first before buying boots....as to that Flow set up someone posted I'd HIGHLY recommend that for you as your first set up but go down to the package EVO has with the Flow Trilogy binders instead to save yourself $50 that you can then spend on lift tix.
The board is legit and the Trilogy are decent entry level Flows but they will do you right. And worst case scenario if you don't end up loving the rear entry style then you can still have enough $ to grab a solid used pair of ROMEs or RIDEs somewhere.
--bigtime-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Also, if you wanted to get just the board from EVO and binders from somewhere else, here is the best place to get brand new 390s for cheap.
Rome 390 Snowboard Bindings · Snowboard Bindings · SHORELINE of TAHOE
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yea, evo always has great deals with board packages , just remember if you dont want the binding they have packaged together call them. Most of the time they are will in to give you a different binding for a little more money. Or just keep your eyes open on here for a good deal on a used set. I am getting ready to unload some older ride and burton bindings and some boards. I agree with bigtime on the lashed but great first boot, just make sure you try them on first they are wider then most.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ok, so here's the deal.....you said you had a budget of 5-7 so if you wanna stay near the 5 then get that flow setup from EVO and some Lashes once you try them on first and you'll be good to go (at under $500 btw)
Now, if you really wanna do it right, then get those 390s I posted the link for earlier and then grab this board in the 157W
Lib Technologies Mark Landvik Phoenix C2BTX Snowboard from Dogfunk.com
Then get those Lashes.
All in you'd be looking at just a touch over 7 ($713 to be exact) but that's with paying full retail on the boots.
Right now amazon has an 11.5 Lashed for only $153shipped, but don't buy until you try.

Good luck with your search. (Hope you end up with the MLP, such a sick board that you'll have for a long time)
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

endless.com has the 32 lashed for $120. and it's free shipping both ways and no hassle returns. Read that in another thread. So if you can't try them on or impatient (like me) buy and return.

But if you want to support local LBS and try them on for sure, then yeah go hunt them down.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'm going to suggest some more generic advice and try not to make specific board/boot/binding recommendations*. We all have personal biases to certain brands, models, or manufacturers and within each biases or preferences based upon our own riding style and the disciplines we focus upon. Good first step to ask for people's opinions but be a critical buyer, look for outside validation of opinions received here to help filter the FUD from the solid advice.

For the board, since you are a beginner I would focus on a good all-mountain or all-mountain freestyle board. Since you are still learning and will be figuring out your riding preferences, an all-mountain freestyle board should provide you the tech you require to grow and learn in a variety of disciplines. Once you get some time under your belt and experience riding groomers, park, powder, and a variety of conditions, you'll be better able to buy a second board that is more focused to your specific interests. A good all-mountain freestyle board will cover the widest possible set of disciplines good enough to let you play in all those areas. Try to avoid a park-specific board or other niche discipline board for your first board. As for length, shorter is typically associated with park riding disciplines and you lose some stability at speed due to less effective edge. Longer boards are more associated with stability at speed and carving but will not excel in park/freestyle disciplines. I would suggest you target the center mass here and go with something in the 158 range. This will give you the flexibility to expand your skills across multiple disciplines as you learn and figure things out. As for whether you should go camber vs. rocker. vs. a combination hybrid, each option will ride a bit differently. To keep it simple, camber has good pop and carving capability but can be a bit unforgiving. Rocker is a bit more forgiving and gives a bit more of a 'surfy' feel but this also comes at reduced pop and carving. A combination hybrid tries to get the best of both worlds and several companies do this very well. I can't recommend one over the other for learning as when I learned it was all camber.

(Yes, I realize that more experienced riders may disagree with my comments on camber/rocker/hybrid. I ride a combination hybrid and can carve just fine as well. I'm just trying to keep it simple here.)

As for bindings, the only exception I'm going to make is to recommend Burton bindings and I'd avoid the lower-end options like Freestyles or Customs. I rode Customs for years and when I finally upgraded the difference was substantial. Burton makes a great binding. Yes, they are a large company with huge marketing budgets to sell you on how great they are. They also have a huge R&D budget and really get bindings right. That being said, remember what I said above about personal biases. I am personally biased towards Burton bindings and they have never, ever let me down in 20 years of riding. There are good options out there though so look them over and decide.

As you've already mentioned and others have confirmed, spend more of your budget on boots. Cheap boots, or boots purchased because the price was attractive are not necessarily the right boots for you. Bad boots that are uncomfortable, not supportive enough (or too supportive depending upon what you are doing) make for a very miserable experience. The only way to really go here is to go to a good shop that has a wide selection of boots and try them on. Make sure you mention that you are a beginner and need a boot that will perform well for you in a variety of disciplines. I would suggest you need a boot with enough support to help you learn to hold your edge on heel and toe side turns but enough flex to be a bit forgiving as you will be a bit sloppy. The stiffer the boot, the quicker it will translate movement of your body to the board. The softer the boot, the more flexibility for tweaking grabs, etc., but you always interject less direct transfer of body movement to the board.

So how do you balance your budget and make sure you get what you need and stay within that budget? I would suggest spending a bit less on the board. This will be your first board but I guarantee it won't be your last. There are a lot of good all-mountain freestyle boards out there for newbies that are easily in the sub-400 range. Put the rest towards bindings and boots with boots being the bigger priority of getting it right. Think about it this way, you WILL ultimately buy a 2nd board as you grow in ability and your interests become a bit more focused. Quality boots and bindings that you purchase now will be reusable when you buy that 2nd board later. Low quality boots and bindings will be miserable now and you'll want to get rid of them when it comes time to get your new set-up in a year or two.

Or you can just be a gear-whore like me and have 7 boards in your quiver, several sets of bindings and boots, and a closet full of outerwear. Welcome to snowboarding, it is a money-pit! Haha.

MeanJoe
MeanJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

I greatly appreciate all the recommendations everyone. Wonderful information.

I'm leaning towards the flow Era with rome 390's and probably the lashed boots. Hopefully I can find the boots locally! I'm still considering the MLP board, but it's at the high-end of my budget, so it always makes things more difficult.

Last edited by Jynx; 08-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
I greatly appreciate all the recommendations everyone. Wonderful information.

I'm leaning towards the flow Era with rome 390's and probably the lashed boots. Hopefully I can find the boots locally! I'm still considering the MLP board, but it's at the high-end of my budget, so it always makes things more difficult.
For a first board, you will love that Flow.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I directed my beginner friend to a Flow Era based on Nivek's glowing reviews (and other reviews) and good price. I mean $200 for a brand new board come on
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote