New rider seeking some assistance for a first setup with a 5-700$ budget. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New rider seeking some assistance for a first setup with a 5-700$ budget.

Currently I am 5'11, 195 pounds, with a foot size of around 11-11.5. I know there is a lot of information below, but please help a beginner fine-tune his first selection!

My skill level is beginner, and I'm looking to purchase my first full set (board, boots, bindings). The amount of lingo and information on boards is overwhelming for me at the moment, so I'm hoping for any feedback at all. I'm working on compiling all of the recommendations im getting, and trying to narrow down to the most common do's and don'ts.

I've heard so many mixed things on what size I should ride, and it's really difficult because a lot of information seems to be conflicting. I hear shorter for more control, longer for more speed and carving ability, and based on this, I believe I'm supposed to have a board around 160cm, but I've seen recommendations of up to around 166 for my weight class, or as low as 154 because people prefer the control of that range.

In terms of where I'll predominantly be riding, I'm located in Chicago--this means I'm mostly riding on shitty snow, with a fair amount of ice. I can probably find relatively decent snow if I travel up into Wisconsin when I become a better rider.

So far, it seems like this is what I want to look for:

All-mountain
Twin board
wide (or waste width of 26+)
hybrid camber or really mild rocker...although some have suggested learning on a cambered board. Others have said cambered and rockered.
Magnetraction (MTX) technology--supposed to help a lot with icy surfaces

Boots: Spend the most money here, and usually go for simple lace style.

Thus far, suggestions for boards or combos are:

Find a used lib tech skate banana (biggest consensus thus far)
Technine MVP series with burton bindings: On Sale Technine MVP Series Board & Binding Package - Mens at The-House.com
Forum - Young Blood Chilidog or Destroyer Chilidog GNU
Rider's Choice Libtech Banana Magic - or any Lib except Skate Banana and Burtner's Box.
Never Summer - any of the boards that fit in the Freestyle/Freeride designation
Ride- Machete

Anyway, like I said my budget is 5-700, and It seems that finding a board/bindings combo from 2011 models is the best route. ANY suggestions on combos, boards, or reinforcement of "keep it simple stupid" would be greatly appreciated from anyone here. Trying to get something asap before summer sales disappear!

Last edited by Jynx; 08-25-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look for a 2011 Flow Era. Really a well built board that can handle pretty much everything. Was a well priced board so on sale now should be even better. The 5 radial sidecut they came up with for I-rock is moeny and still one of the best I've ridden.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Look for a 2011 Flow Era. Really a well built board that can handle pretty much everything. Was a well priced board so on sale now should be even better. The 5 radial sidecut they came up with for I-rock is moeny and still one of the best I've ridden.
This is a good suggestion.

My main suggestions would just be to pick up some good deals on mostly all mountain gear. Because you are a beginner, it's difficult to say what riding style you will prefer. So for your size I would find a good, but inexpensive 158 all mountain freestyle board that will be versatile enough for you to find your niche, and then know more of what you want for your second board.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses! This is the board you speak of here? Flow Era Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo

Will the midlength be big enough for me 11 to 11.5 feet? Looks like the 168 will be around 256-257 mm or 25.6 to 25.7 CM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Thanks for the responses! This is the board you speak of here? Flow Era Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo

Will the midlength be big enough for me 11 to 11.5 feet? Looks like the 168 will be around 256-257 mm or 25.6 to 25.7 CM.
I'm guessing you mean 158... Yeah 256 is good for 12's. That is the right board and the appropriate size.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I'm guessing you mean 158... Yeah 256 is good for 12's. That is the right board and the appropriate size.
Pretty good price too.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok! Going to order that board. What do you guys recommend for bindings?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Ok! Going to order that board. What do you guys recommend for bindings?
I am a big fan of Burton bindings, so my suggestion would be the Mission if you can find them at a good deal. Good all mountain binding with some decent stiffness and response but not to much. If not, I suggest looking at Drake bindings, they make a really solid binding at a good price point. My only complaint about Drake's, I have found they are a little heavier but you probably wouldn't even notice.

The one place you should probably focus a little more of your budget, is on your boots. Comfortable boots can make all the difference.

Last edited by 604; 08-26-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rome Arsenal!
craig-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604 View Post
I am a big fan of Burton bindings, so my suggestion would be the Mission if you can find them at a good deal. Good all mountain binding with some decent stiffness and response but not to much. If not, I suggest looking at Drake bindings, they make a really solid binding at a good price point. My only complaint about Drake's, I have found they are a little heavier but you probably wouldn't even notice.

The one place you should probably focus a little more of your budget, is on your boots. Comfortable boots can make all the difference.
Definitely going to be spending the most on boots. Going to get those at a store somewhere so I can try a whole bunch.