Is their a difference in board companies that are top quality - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Is their a difference in board companies that are top quality

I have a 08/09 Rome Agent and just love it. It has been a great board and ill ride it tell it breaks. I do though want a 2nd board and i'm not sure if i'm going to buy a mountain board or park. My problem is since i've been looking around is their really a difference in top end boards? The technology is the same right? Everyone is using the 'latest' stuff so what is the difference?

If you take Burtons top park board along with Rome, NeverSummer, Libtech and others is there really a difference? Sure they are different companies made in different places but the technology today id say is the same? Is it just preference like the old Ford Vs Chevy debate?

I'm looking into NeverSumer and a 2nd Rome for my second board but im undecided and unsure about above what i just asked. Neversummer sounds like a great snowboard company but if i got the Raptor or Romes Anthem for mountain would i even notice what board i was using if i wasn't told?

I am a advanced/expert mountain rider and beginner park and have no problems going anywhere. I'm not new to the sport by any means but i've never really asked myself the above question. Help?
snowNmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The difference is going to be the factory. Anything made in china is going to be built with higher tolerances since the companies can afford it. We here in the US demand more money for the same jobs so the US made companies usually involve more hands on techniques and the build is different. If you take a real close look at like a K2 and a NS or Mervin, you'll see a diffence in how it's built. Other differences are who each company chooses to buy materials from. Glass makes a diffence. There is weak fiberglass, average, and good shit out there. Depends on whose using what. There is also pre-preg resin vs mix on site, wet lam vs what they do in China... Without looking, I can tell when I step on a Ride, or a Mervin, or a NS... the way they're built makes them feel different.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wont buy anything made in china unless its the last option.

Products made in china are made to break so you by them again. Slave labor producing crap goods is not something i support.

But boards like my Rome that was made in Austria and others in Europe and America that make quality stuff, is their really a difference when it comes to the close details like i said above in the OP.

I don't know if i would be able to tell the difference if i rode Burtons best or Romes best. So does it even matter what you buy. (remember im NOT buying chinas garbage)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The difference is going to be the factory. Anything made in china is going to be built with higher tolerances since the companies can afford it.
Not neccessarily true, the majority of companies move manufacturing overseas to save money and very few of them put those savings into increasing quality control. Most of the savings goes directly into the pockets of executives, marketing, advertising, market growth, etc.
Hawkfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The difference is going to be the factory. Anything made in china is going to be built with higher tolerances since the companies can afford it. We here in the US demand more money for the same jobs so the US made companies usually involve more hands on techniques and the build is different. If you take a real close look at like a K2 and a NS or Mervin, you'll see a diffence in how it's built. Other differences are who each company chooses to buy materials from. Glass makes a diffence. There is weak fiberglass, average, and good shit out there. Depends on whose using what. There is also pre-preg resin vs mix on site, wet lam vs what they do in China... Without looking, I can tell when I step on a Ride, or a Mervin, or a NS... the way they're built makes them feel different.
^ What he said.

Also, many boards are being made in either the GST or Elan factories in Austria as well (Rome included). Most times it is more about specific details in a board than the overall construction. Recently I find that the "cheap" boards are not really so cheap anymore and actually perform on par with most expensive boards. It used to be that you would pay more for a board because it had triax fiberglass instead of biax. Though this is still somewhat true, most riders are realizing that just because a board is more expensive doesn't mean it's better. It's all about preference, and what you want out of a board.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowNmusic View Post

Products made in china are made to break so you by them again. Slave labor producing crap goods is not something i support.

But boards like my Rome that was made in Austria and others in Europe and America that make quality stuff, is their really a difference when it comes to the close details like i said above in the OP.

I don't know if i would be able to tell the difference if i rode Burtons best or Romes best. So does it even matter what you buy. (remember im NOT buying chinas garbage)
There are a number of made in China boards that I would ride over US, Canadian, or Austrian made decks. Made in China doesn't mean that it isn't good, trust me.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

China is does not employ slaves. Get educated. These are snowboard factories. My most durable board to date? Ride Kink. Made in China. Mervins don't last unless babied, NS lose their snap after 50 days on hill, Smokin has that warranty for a reason... trend with US? maybe...

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604 View Post
^ What he said.

Also, many boards are being made in either the GST or Elan factories in Austria as well (Rome included). Most times it is more about specific details in a board than the overall construction. Recently I find that the "cheap" boards are not really so cheap anymore and actually perform on par with most expensive boards. It used to be that you would pay more for a board because it had triax fiberglass instead of biax. Though this is still somewhat true, most riders are realizing that just because a board is more expensive doesn't mean it's better. It's all about preference, and what you want out of a board.
Yup. I'm having more fun on sub $400 boards lately than high end ones. Save the Arbor stuff. I think pretty much everyone else I prefer their "budget" boards to their high end ones.

Also, buy my things?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well we all have our opinions on chinas goods. I have my reasons for not supporting them but thats another topic all together.

This NS losing the snap...i've never rode a NS nor do i have any friends that do, have riders always had this problem? When you say 50 days...man thats not a long time. =[

The more i read i think im gonna stick with Rome. I've been happy with them.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowNmusic View Post

Your precious Rome is made in Taiwan. Learn a thing or two before you spew your ignorant dribble on here.

You use snowboard bindings? China. You use snowboard boots? China. Outerwear? China probably 75% or so of the time.

You want to ask if one brand is better than another and when someone says it's factory based you then say you'd never use anything from China you are a fucking tool. Get educated it used to be US>Europe>China then it became Europe>US>China now it's China>Europe>US.

Case in point I'm riding a Lamar yeah I said I'm riding the most bottom of the barrel brand if you ask people. Guess what shits still stronger than a lot of the American made stuff. So if you want to raise your patriotic flag and bravado go for it there's some great products made here but by no means are they the best. You can see it in the finished product.