Evo or Proto for a beginer / intermediate - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush Puppie View Post
Yeah, guess you can't have it all. I reckon I'm going to stick with the Evo and add a stiffer board when the time is right. As long as it doesn't limit me too much that should be fine. Hell, I can always take a stiffer test board out for a day when the time comes.

p.s. Ah you know Mike..? Haha, no which island is he on?
The Evo won't restrict you, you can learn to do everything on it. You will love the Evo so much you'll probably puke an organ up! GET IT!!! (Mike lives in Guernsey)
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Save the money and get a K2 Raygun. Versatile, easy to learn on, and most importantly, a board you can progress on.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thank, the Raygun looks ok. Probably like to see a couple of other people recommend it too before it gets onto my radar.
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Ok, I've seen a few positive things posted about the Raygun. Seems like it would be a little stiffer than the Evo though?

Ok, curveball: lets say I wanted to pick something up from the Ride stable... what would be nearest the Evo/Proto?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

I had a Raygun for about 30+ days last year (still have it). Loved it. Was just like you. Rode a few more, but about 15-20 days per year prior for 2 years. Finally bought gear last year. The Raygun was really a great board to learn / progress on. Still use it in the park, as I am very green there. The board is very quick edge to edge, really fun to ride, solid pop, damp enough that you don't get scared, you can flat base without it getting squirely, and it can carve unless it's just icy. It does everything well, nothing outstanding, but when you are progressing all over the mountain, you need a board that can do everything pretty well, and still remains forgiving.

Found a Yes Optimistic half off brand new at the end of last season, because at the end of the season, I really locked into a style that I enjoyed the most. Powder, bombing runs, and jumping, so this board was an upgrade. But I felt without the 30 days with the Raygun, I wouldn't have the base of knowledge to know which way I was progressing.

People hate the word beginner board, because they feel that it means it is like a bike with training wheels. I would never describe this board like that. I still have so much to learn in the park, and am keeping the Raygun for that until I finally get to the point where I could snag a pure park board and really use it the way it's meant to be used. That will be a couple years. The Raygun is just fun everywhere, and has a very good ceiling everywhere.

Haven't ridden the Proto or Evo, so I can't compare it. Haven't ridden anything pure all mountain in the Ride lineup to tell you. Ridden the Highlife, but that is more in line with a Heritage. Very damp, great for charging, etc. I can say this though, and maybe others can chime in. You described enjoying to pick up speed, and I fear (again, someone help me here), that both the Proto and Evo might still be too park focused to be great at developing more speed. What you are describing sounds more like an SL for what you want to do. But I can say, for learning some park, the SL is MUCH more stiff than the Raygun. IE - I couldn't progress pressing, etc, on an SL. Not good enough yet. So you see where I'm going. The Raygun is stable enough at speed to charge the mountain pretty hard, but flexible enough to make learning in the park achievable.

If I were you, I would get the Raygun. It sounds like you are looking for all mountain right now, and I think after you ride enough on this board, and progress, you'll figure out what you like the most, and then find a board to cater to that. But it takes some time with your own equipment, and all over the mountain, to figure out what you like the best.

And hey, BA gave it a huge endorsement in the other thread. The guy rides 100+ boards a year.

Sorry for the long post. I really liked (and still like) my Raygun. It helped me figure out my riding style, and then I was finally able to find a board to push further (ie, a stiff charger that can still ride powder). Still love it because I am and will be learning in the park.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Evo 154 bought And for a very good price (for the UK at least). So I figure I can't go too far wrong.

The Raygun does look interesting and I'm sure it's a nice board. As long as the Evo gets me through a couple of trips, I'll definitely try more boards along the way. Thanks for everyones help.

Now to choose base colour...