Evo or Proto for a beginer / intermediate - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evo or Proto for a beginer / intermediate

Ok, I was literally just about to buy an Evo 154 online and I thought I'd take a quick reality check with you guys first..

I'm going to me mostly on groomers for a couple of trips but want to start in the park a little too.

I suspect the Evo would suit my ability but the Proto might suit my usage better. Possibly after a couple of seasons I'd change anyway, so this doesn't need to be a long term keeper.

Difficult to know without trying.. but thats not an option.

My Weight is 165 -170lb

Please let me know your informed thoughts before I pull the trigger...

A few more details in this thread: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ernatives.html

Last edited by Slush Puppie; 08-30-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added link to previous thread
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I thought your questions were pretty well answered in the last thread?

I'd say if you're mostly riding groomers then start with the Proto 154 - compared to riding an old cambered rental board it's as forgiving as anything - hell - it's forgiving by any measure! But the Proto will keep you more stable bombing groomers. Where (I think) the Evo is capable (-itallics) of bombing groomers it only makes sense if you are a more accomplished rider! For a relative newb you might find it throwing you around a lot.

Then when you are bored of pissing down the slopes and want to head to the park a lot more get an Evo 152 (IMO)

I have the Proto and have ridden the Evo a handful of times and totally adore both boards. The Evo is the funnest board I have ever ridden. But I freaking love my Proto! Solid board!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback Sypha. I've kinda flip/flopped between the two since I decided to buy. Started with the Proto, then thought the Evo might be better..

I guess I'm worried that the evo is a fraction too soft.. and the Proto is a fraction too stiff. I doubt I would regret either but I know my perfectionist side will nag me if I don't make the 'right' choice
Old 08-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Basically - you need both! Simple as! You'll end up an NS whore like everyone else (me included)

Neither is too anything!

The Evo is the perfect amount soft for jibs and pressing the shit out of and buttery heaven!!!!!

The Proto is the perfect amount stiff for carving (for a mid flex true twin mind!) and for landing jumps.

The proto is NOT a stiff board and you can still butter like there's no tomorrow - just the Evo is the most playful board on the planet (don't quote me on that - I'm sure Nivek and Angry would disagree - probably with good cause - but that said there are a HELL of a lot of good reviews for the Proto and Evo '12)

Buy both You won't need another board for a while! .... (unless you find you want something for absolutely ripping the piste up like the Raptor or something to float on endless powder)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh trust me, I'm a buy both kinda guy..

But I can't easily get to a dome (Channel Islands) and I can't see me lugging two boards to the alps for a week at a time. So I sadly need to choose, haha.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nah, buy both and get a board bag! Proto for most of the day and Evo when you wanna up your flatland/jibbing game! (also apparently Evo is awesome on tree runs)

Where will you be going abroad? I will be going to Tignes or Ischgyl (however you spell it) and will be most likely be taking 3 boards.

And if you're a buy both kind of guy - you obviously have too much cash!! ...and a channel islands resident..... nuff said!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tignes was where I went this year. Prob gonna head back for a week in Dec if snow is on the cards.

Hey we;re not all loaded over here... but the price of a snowboard sure looks a lot better once you've knocked 20% VAT off
Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

SHEESH! I forgot about that! Right you're ordering an Evo and a Proto for me and getting them sent to me I'll paypal you the money! I have to try to get rid of my Proto so I can size up to the 157 (from the 154) but I NEEEEEEEEED an Evo too. It's too fun not to have! (I'm a fellow UKer btw)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it makes you feel any better, it cost me at least an extra 100 to get to the snow each time..

Hmm, so let me get this straight... you're selling a Proto 154.. Hmmm
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Slush puppie, that makes me feel no better. I take no pleasure in another man's misfortunes! I am selling a 154 though. Do you know Mike Bell? (there's only a few people on the Channel Islands right!?)