Thoughts on an all mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on an all mountain board

I'm looking for some advice on an all-mountain board. I currently have 2 boards in the quiver, both Burton (don't hold it against me) and they are both good at what they do. I have a 2012 Hero and 2010 Supermodel. The supermodel is lightning quick and super-stable at speed, but I find if I want to do much more than fly down a mountain at speed It's a little restrictive. The Hero is super flexy and is great fun in the park or just playing around, but due to the flex it doesn't handle the speed very well at all.
I've just come back from a trip to NZ and I'm finding that what I need is something that will sit between these boards. Something I can take up the hill without planning how I'm going to spend my day in advance. Something I can take anywhere.
It doesn't need to be Burton, in fact it probably won't be. Not because Burton is bad or I hate them, truthfully they have been fantastic, my burton gear has always held up pretty well and when I did have an issue they replaced it straight away, no questions asked.
I'm considering the Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro and the Bataleon The Jam, but I'm open to other ideas also. I know everyone has their preferences and whatnot but hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me without the fan boy stuff we see around here sometimes.

Cheers!
sidewaysSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im in the same boat as you trying to decide what to get. I want something fairly flexy so i can try butters and be playful with it as well as having a true twin shape, has good pop although not a complete noodle and yet can feel confident carving, hitting trails, pow, ice, whatever with decent dampness. I know, asking a lot . I would like to be right in the middle as possible. I am also some where in between a beginner and intermediate so hopefully a board thats under $400. I noticed on the transworld site they gave a Good Wood to the Stepchild Powder Sucks for 2012 and the description they gave sounded pretty dead on, but unfortunately reviews for this board are very hard to come by at this time. Anyways, i hope to see some people chiming in on this one i'm getting excited about purchasing my next board.
Foggdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am really big on Endeavor snowboards and think both of you guys should seriously check them out.

sidewaysSA: The Endeavor Live is basically exactly what you described. It is also available in regular camber or reverse camber so your preference.

foggdogg: Check out the B.O.D. series, it is an amazing ride. Zero camber with lifted contact points and skate kicks. Tons of fun!

Endeavor Snowboards

Here is the website. They have a video for each board so check them out.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Part of the problem has been that because the 11/12 boards are all so new and the Northern winter hasn't started there is a distinct lack of reviews around. From what I have been able to find the Travis Rice Pro sounds like it is a pretty good piece of kit. I haven't been able to find too much on the Bataleon yet, but I do hear good things about TBT.
I suppose some ideas on matching bindings would help too, the Est Cartels won't work so well on a non-EST board.
Budget isn't a big issue with me, but I dont want to spend $1500-$2500 on those "technology packed" R&D boards.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well both those sit closer a good amount closer to your supermodel than your hero. They're hard charging park boards made for super fast approaches and big jumps.

I would be looking at a Signal Park Flat, Arbor Blacklist or Westmark, Bataleon ET, Nitro Team One Off's, Flow Shifty or Era, or a Salomon Grip

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys, this gives me a few ideas now.

I do ride the hill pretty aggressively and as such need something that I can really dig an edge in and have it hold, but at the same time its great to have something a little more playful so you can make a few trips through the park.
Maybe I'll just have to keep increasing the quiver. not that that is a huge issue
Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default I ride a Never Summer SL

From 2010/11.

There were a couple of days with flat light, and wind scoured patches of icy chundra, where I felt like I wish I had something heavier, and more dampening, else everywhere, every day, I felt confident and in control. Its close to a twin tip, does not feel awkward switch or jumping, and I am confident on it, regardless of how steep or how fast.

It is, thus far, my favorite all mountain, all conditions ride.

I rode many of the Lib Tech boards during demo days, and while I am grateful for the rocker/camber revolution they helped bring, the magna traction did not suit my style. It traverses as if locked in, but when wanting to accelerate hard on an edge, I always felt conscious of the drag.

I note, however, that I live in the Sierras, and snow (as opposed to ice) is pretty easy to find most days, if you know where to look.

I highly recommend demo'ing both the lib tech and the never summer, and seeing what suits you.
spamjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote