Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Another board question: K2 Raygun, just right or not enough? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/40889-another-board-question-k2-raygun-just.html)

Mack211 09-02-2011 12:18 PM

Another board question: K2 Raygun, just right or not enough?

I'm in the market for my first owned board. I'm leaning towards the K2 Raygun but not sure if it's the best to grow with for the next 2-3 seasons.

Background:
I've been boarding between 6-15 days each year for around 14 years now. I just moved up to Colorado with my wife to finish her grad school. We bought Epic Local season passes to hit the slopes as much as possible. I'm finally in the position to make buying a board worth it. I would consider myself just intermediate and stuck there, since I only board a few days each year. I'm looking for a solid board that I can use for the next 2-3 seasons.

I've heard great things about the Raygun but I've also heard it is somewhat of a beginner board. I am looking for something I can grow with. It needs to be an all mountain board with possibility to do 15-25% park.
Will this board do well for someone at my level and not want me to buy another board next season?

What would an equivalent Never Summer board be to the Raygun?

I appreciate the comments / help.

-Mack

walove 09-02-2011 12:31 PM

Raygun is right for you, it won't hold you back at all. a neversummer sl or legacy if you need a wide, would be comparable as a all mountain board. K2 makes really nice boards so even though the raygun is a lower price point its high quality construction with cheaper materials.

BurtonAvenger 09-02-2011 12:34 PM

Lets put it this way I can have any K2 board I want and the Raygun is what I've been going to. It's a solid board you can progress on and won't hold you back and at the same time won't feel bad if you ride through a rock field and destroy it.

Mack211 09-03-2011 10:38 AM

BurtonAvenger & walove,

Thank you both very much for the replies. I think the Raygun 156 is what I'm going with. Got my bindings figured out now I just need to go try on some boots this weekend. :)

walove 09-03-2011 10:48 AM

Spend the money on nice boots, you will notice the difference over mid level products.

Mack211 09-03-2011 11:37 AM

I will absolutely do that. It looks like the boots will be costing me as much as the Raygun board.

Thanks again.

walove 09-03-2011 04:48 PM

look at prices on ski boots and dropping threehundy on boots doesnt feel so bad.

purpinitrightq 09-03-2011 07:52 PM

the raygun is beasttt..i got the 10-11 k2 raygun and love it..go for it mangg

Mack211 09-15-2011 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the help guys! Here is what came in the mail early this morning. Shopping for boots and possibly bindings this weekend.

SnowBrdScotty 09-15-2011 08:47 PM

my buddy rides the raygun and he loves it.