Rome Flag or Burton Custome Wide or GNU CHB MTX Wide - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
totalgeek

Default Rome Flag or Burton Custome Wide or GNU CHB MTX Wide

Well I got a bonus this year, and I asked this question in "another" board, but got no response. Should've came here first as I always got a good answer.

I'm an all mountain rider, 5'9" Heavy (270) , and I currently ride a Ride Fleetwood 161 Wide. I started boarding this year but already going down 'blues' with only 1-2 falls maybe.

I was really looking for a low maintanence board just because I'm lazy due to the weight. I wax my board after every half day on the mountain. I just carve down the mountain no moguls, jumps, or anything crazy just shallow or full length carves depending on how fast I want to go. I never want to go faster then I want to fall.

My question is do I just keep riding with the board I have now? Or, go for one of the boards listed in the topic since I got a good size bonus? Is there really that much of a difference at my skill level that I would notice, from the board I have now to any of the others? If they carve better or transition better edge to edge, then thats good enough for me. Also, does it matter going from an extruded to sintered base? Speed is not important to me just the ease of carving/transitioning down a mountain, whats important is the amount of time I can go by without waxing my board.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
ecave84

I have a flag 163 and love it. Im 260 (6'3")and its plenty stiff for me. Im on the east coast and don't see much powder so a 163 is a good length for me. If you ride alot of powder you would probably want to go with a longer board. like the flag 168. I know nothing about the fleetwood so its hard to say if you would see a benefit, but i love my Flag so i would highly recommend it if you get a new board.

Last edited by ecave84; 02-21-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the Fleetwood is extruded as is the CHB. Both the Flag and Custom are sintered. Extruded bases don't need to be waxed as much (based on my understanding) and actually don't need to be waxed very much at all if you aren't too concerned about speed. Also, the flag and custom are going to be tougher to ride for a beginner because they are stiffer. It will actually be harder for you to transition from edge to edge at first. So you would probably want to stick with the Fleetwood. Both are better boards, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

The CHB MTX could be worth considering if you really want a new board becasue it has the low maintenaince base and the MTX will be really helpful for you riding on hard pack or ice. The fleetwood and CHB are fairly comprable other than the MTX which I hear is really nice (never ridden it myself).
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
ecave84

while i agree that the flag and custom are a more advanced board and it may be a little more difficult at first i would still go for it. The good thing about that is you wont end up out growing your board. Plus at 270 a stiff board isnt a bad thing since your going to get more flex than a 200lb guy is going to see.

If the CHB is comperable to what your riding now and you dont want a stiffer board i would upgrade your boots and bindings and wait on the board.

Last edited by ecave84; 02-21-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecave84 View Post
while i agree that the flag and custom are a more advanced board and it may be a little more difficult at first i would still go for it. The good thing about that is you wont end up out growing your board. Plus at 270 a stiff board isnt a bad thing since your going to get more flex than a 200lb guy is going to see.

If the CHB is comperable to what your riding now and you dont want a stiffer board i would upgrade your boots and bindings and wait on the board.
Yea, but the most important thing for him is a low maintenaince board...sintered bases need to be waxed more so he may want to stick to a board with an extruded base.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
totalgeek

Thanks, everyone! You have really put some good arguments forward. I was looking at a FLAG 168, but if you think I can get by with a 163 I might get it just to have it, because some guy is selling one for only $200 but I think its a 2007. Which will leave me with plenty of cash to pick up the GNU MTX as well

Yes low maintenance is important to me so. I really don't need to wax my board at all? I just come off the mountain and see the white-grey strip on my edges, which someone told me was a sign to wax. I always thought you had to wax an extruded base more because of the fact that wax strips from them faster, and I thought wax was important to protect your base. I thought Sintered was you can go longer without waxing because it holds wax better.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
totalgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecave84 View Post
I was thinking of doing this as well but I got some K2 Cinch CTL and Salomon Wide quick lace boots (see all my stuff is built for expending the least amount of energy). I love them both, I was thinking of getting the K2 Cinch CTL or X whichever one is the one with the carbon frame, but since I don't ride park. I really don't feel the difference in weight with the current setup I have now.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

Why do you want a 3 boards if you are a low maintainace kind of person. Unless you are a glutton for stuff then you really don't need to get the Flag and the MTX.

I really don't have a lot of room to talk about having alot of boards becasue I''m about to buy my 6th but they all have different purposes and some them are just old and only one is a I just bought it to have it and its a Bud Light board.

Honestly I just think you need to be a little less lazy and just take care of your stuff. It' really isn't that hard and it doesn't take up that much time, turn on some music and tune your board. It's relaxing.
Dcp584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
totalgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcp584 View Post
Why do you want a 3 boards if you are a low maintainace kind of person. Unless you are a glutton for stuff then you really don't need to get the Flag and the MTX.
No I just want one board. I was hopefully looking for a wide and a board that can handle my weight that would require less waxing. What I'm hoping to do is have 2 boards. I would demote the RIDE I have to my 'beater' board, if there isn't much snow on the ground I would use this board. Then the other board, would be good base, I'm using that board.

I do wax my Ride, but I guess I was under the impression I only had to wax 3-5 days on the mountain. But what I wasn't told was snow conditions and weight play a big role and I have the worst of both so my board is pretty much stripped of wax in a half day on the slope.