All mountain ripper, not just powder? Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default All mountain ripper, not just powder? Help

Hey guys, I just found the forum and need some help picking a new board.
I've been riding for a long time, nothing too serious but I love me some steep powder, cliff drops, cornices, and really fast carving on groomers/whatever. I'm basically never in the park except to do some table top type features.
I ride boards until they are floppy noodles. Current board is Burton Custom 160 7+years old? one before that also a Custom,first board Burton. been partial to Burtons since back then they were the only ones with response and technology....and the boards treated me well.

So I need a new board and want the right one. I ride alot with good skiers and need to be able to keep up, plus I like going fast and hard...typically. We mostly search for new lines, powder and drops but also tear through the mains runs. Like to lay it down on groomers.

This is getting long, sorry.
current set up; Custom 160, Triad Bindings softer highback(might be too flimsy) and k2 T1 boots super stiff.
I've lost some response and power...might be to new binding and boots?
I used to ride soft boots and bindings, was super responsive but no stability and painful. Now, the board seems sluggish, can't whip around through bumps and trees very well....mainly on heelside turns.

I need a new board 160-164 and probably new bindings. Looking at Burton T7, Custom, and Custom X. Am open to other brands just need the right fit.
T7 looks pretty good but sounds like it doesn't have any float in powder? I have size 10 boot.
The Customs....don't quite understand the difference. They would probably be pretty good for my riding style, but not quite stiff and responsive enough for real charging...lets say powering through lumpy crusty snow up high, steep fast. But they would probably be better for the rest of the mountain?

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot for any input!

Copper Mountain - backbowl clif drop, 4/11/11, Dainis B. - YouTube

I'll probably try to find a last season or 2 year old board, to save some money.

Last edited by SummitFreerider; 09-06-2011 at 10:32 AM.
SummitFreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not Burton, but look at the Ride Highlife. Responsive tank.

The Thing about those you have mentioned is they're all camber. You can find rocker boards now that grip well enough to satisfy, but they are going to be quicker in the trees and float better in pow. Another to look at might be the Flow Solitude. Mike Basich's board of choice for mtn riding and a manly board indeed.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Last edited by Nivek; 09-06-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

i sold my custom 160 an got a customx 164. It can be driven way harder, more reponse.
Custom= dodge minivan.. sloppy cornering
Custom x= ford mustang ,, capable, crisp
Supermodel x= carves better than custom x,, i love this deck, i will sell u my customx to u if u want. I am in vancouver.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check out unity snowboards
TsEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Ride Highlife sounds real nice! It looks like this year they brought a partial camber back. This is important to me because when on regular runs I like to lay it down, but last years can be had for cheap..hmm.
As for length, I now ride a 160 and feel I need/want more board. 161? or 164might be too much? I'm 5'11" 165# 161 would be safest but a 164 could prove to be epic fun in the backcountry.
Seasons almost here!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Old thread I know, but I'm on a T7 and it will do powder. I've been riding for 19 or so years and will ride camber til the day I die... It's not a very forgiving board, I had to spend a couple runs training myself to ride a much stiffer board, but it's well worth it.

I rode in almost a foot of powder last Sunday and it handles it fine. You have to put a LOT of weight on your back leg but boo hoo, do some squats and strengthen your legs if that hurts (not directed at anybody in particular).

I'm actually looking at a Kessler Ride or Cross for my next board (the T7 was damaged when I moved out West and I'm not sure how long the topsheet is going to hold up). But if I could find another T7 to replace mine, I probably would. It's very confident when rode hard (and put away wet)...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Old thread I know, but I'm on a T7 and it will do powder. I've been riding for 19 or so years and will ride camber til the day I die... It's not a very forgiving board, I had to spend a couple runs training myself to ride a much stiffer board, but it's well worth it.

I rode in almost a foot of powder last Sunday and it handles it fine. You have to put a LOT of weight on your back leg but boo hoo, do some squats and strengthen your legs if that hurts (not directed at anybody in particular).

I'm actually looking at a Kessler Ride or Cross for my next board (the T7 was damaged when I moved out West and I'm not sure how long the topsheet is going to hold up). But if I could find another T7 to replace mine, I probably would. It's very confident when rode hard (and put away wet)...

Loved my two T6's but I think Burton has abandoned the whole alumafly core concept , it's just too much for most people but I tell ya nothing and no one I rode with railed like me and my old T6.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
Loved my two T6's but I think Burton has abandoned the whole alumafly core concept , it's just too much for most people but I tell ya nothing and no one I rode with railed like me and my old T6.
Yeah I was sad to see it out of the lineup for this year. I was on a 2010 T6 and it got damaged on the first day (the pads around your feet started to lift) and they gave me a T7 instead. Now my T7 was damaged in a move and I'm not sure what to do. For now it's still running (topsheet is cracked but doesn't appear to be lifting).

I'm thinking some of the kessler boards may rip like the T-series and have a stronger top sheet/edges. My T7 looks like hell after one season I was hoping to get more like 5-10 seasons out of it.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitFreerider View Post
Hey guys, I just found the forum and need some help picking a new board.
I've been riding for a long time, nothing too serious but I love me some steep powder, cliff drops, cornices, and really fast carving on groomers/whatever. I'm basically never in the park except to do some table top type features.
I ride boards until they are floppy noodles. Current board is Burton Custom 160 7+years old? one before that also a Custom,first board Burton. been partial to Burtons since back then they were the only ones with response and technology....and the boards treated me well.

So I need a new board and want the right one. I ride alot with good skiers and need to be able to keep up, plus I like going fast and hard...typically. We mostly search for new lines, powder and drops but also tear through the mains runs. Like to lay it down on groomers.

This is getting long, sorry.
current set up; Custom 160, Triad Bindings softer highback(might be too flimsy) and k2 T1 boots super stiff.
I've lost some response and power...might be to new binding and boots?
I used to ride soft boots and bindings, was super responsive but no stability and painful. Now, the board seems sluggish, can't whip around through bumps and trees very well....mainly on heelside turns.

I need a new board 160-164 and probably new bindings. Looking at Burton T7, Custom, and Custom X. Am open to other brands just need the right fit.
T7 looks pretty good but sounds like it doesn't have any float in powder? I have size 10 boot.
The Customs....don't quite understand the difference. They would probably be pretty good for my riding style, but not quite stiff and responsive enough for real charging...lets say powering through lumpy crusty snow up high, steep fast. But they would probably be better for the rest of the mountain?

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot for any input!

Copper Mountain - backbowl clif drop, 4/11/11, Dainis B. - YouTube

I'll probably try to find a last season or 2 year old board, to save some money.
I don't own many boards, but the Arbor A-Frame I ride seems perfect for your style too. A carving beast, that tail propels you out of turns. Fast and very stable, good in powder and looks like a dream. IF you like camber.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06

Last edited by KIRKRIDER; 12-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ride Antic is neat, girps well and floats great. I've got a k2 turbo dream that I absolutely love in all conditions so far.
ShredTaos is offline   Reply With Quote