Companion Board for Sherlock? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Companion Board for Sherlock?

If you are a burton hater you may want to skip this thread. Ok you will want to skip it for sure.

So last year in March, the day before I went out west to Whistler (i live in toronto) I saw a 163 Burton Sherlock on sale and bought it. It snowed heavily all week and for my trip and I felt I had the perfect board for the conditions, except for one long traverse where I found that the flying V shape doesn't really like really really hard packed flat stuff - it was pretty squirrely, almost a little scary. I have also heard that this shape is not great on really hard packed snow and ice, which here in Ontario is pretty much what we get all the time. Anyways I think that whenever the snow is soft I have exactly the Board that I need.

My other board is a Vapor 159, several years old (another case of deep discount so I grabbed it), both boards have the channel and EST bindings, so if I were to change this board I'd still want a burton board with the channel. I weigh 185 lbs and had been wondering if the 159 was a bit short for me; actually demo'd a couple boards last spring in 162/163 size that seemed a bit more stable (including a method). The vapor is of course a conventional cambered board.

So right now I have Sherlock as the board for trips out west and the occasional day of decent snow in Ontario/Quebec, and a cambered board in the Vapor for hardpacked groomed stuff and icy days. The only flaw in this is that maybe 159 is too short.

As far as riding I mostly freeride, might go through the park if my kid drags me there, never any rails or other metal features.

Questions for those that read this far:

Is this a good pairing in terms of board style - flying V and cambered? The Sherlock's a keeper since it's so fun when there's fresh snow. I was thinking of replacing the Vapor with something around 162/163. Should I keep the criteria of cambered board?

Would it make sense to get a Vapor 162 wide since there's nothing longer than 159 in Vapor with normal width? What do people think about accepting more width to get the length?

Or some other board with the channel (so I can keep the bindings). Custom X comes in a 160, still cambered. Method is not a cambered board but comes in a 163 size and I liked it when I rode it. Used T7?

Or should I just stick with what I have, maybe there's not that much difference form 159 to 162 so why bother?

Interested to hear what people think, although would prefer to skip the debate about how there's lots of non-burton products out there that are better and cheaper - I have two pairs of EST bindings, I really like the flexibility of the system, and so I want to stay with channeled boards, keeps it simple even if I am a bit of a hostage to one supplier.

Last edited by Lamps; 09-06-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm not A Burton hater but unless you're going camber, their boards suck on ice and hardpack (both their V rocker, and flying V). I personally can't praise my CustomX enough. Its edge hold is absolutely insane on anything, it cuts right through the mid day chop (this is a very unforgiving board but the edges don't catch here, it just rips right through that shit and you barely feel it), it's super stable at high speeds with no vibration or chatter, and when you do go through the park, it's right at home in the air.

It all depends on your riding style but the CustomX is a ridiculously fast, killer deck. And even though it's regular Camber, it belongs on the big mountains in the west too (I've ridden it in Whistler, Mt. Baker, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberly, the 3 in Banff, and the smaller mountains in Vancouver and Jasper). Look at the supermodel and the T7 as well, or of you want something that's still camber and a little more playful, you won't go wrong with the original Custom.

* FWIW I bought a Custom flying V and I'm getting rid of it for the same reason, squirrelly and shit traction. On my new years trip last year I took the bindings off it and went with the CustomX because of the poor edge hold. I've also encountered a couple really dicey moments with my EST bindings loosening on the board. It's crazy when flying down a hill, your bindings are strapped tight, and your rear foot is fucking sliding around all over the place. I'm keeping the CustomX, selling the Flying V, and buying a T.rice. Already got a pair of regular Cartels picked up to go on it

Last edited by Dano; 09-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote