Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Magnetraction vs Vario (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/40970-magnetraction-vs-vario.html)

Dano 09-07-2011 01:54 AM

Magnetraction vs Vario

Hey all,

I'm picking a new set-up this year and a big factor for me is edge hold and control on shit snow. The last couple years where I ride have been absolutely insane for dry deep powder but this is usually never the case (between early Jan-mid Feb at least). So I'm looking for a stiff RC board to handle both these riding conditions and my style. The 2 I've narrowed it down to are the T.rice and the Heritage.

Here's the issue. Never Summer is virtually non-existent up hear with the exeption of one or two and even though NS has a ton of hype (and I'm completely sure for good reason), it's hard for me to order a snowboard that I've never ridden let alone touched or seen, based on Internet hype alone (and also tough for me not to buy local). On the other hand, even though my buddy's T.rice is an awesome and fun deck to ride, I don't like how every second person has one. Even though that's more evidence it's a solid stick, it's a little mainstream if ya know what I mean.

Any help guiding this $500+ purchase would be greatly appreciated, Thanx.

TofuSama 09-07-2011 07:28 AM

As far as I know, Magnetraction is stronger than Vario for edge grip. Not that I have any experience with either, but that seems to be what people here are saying.

Leo 09-07-2011 07:30 AM

Good ol' NS vs Lib :)

My two pickles:

Magnetraction: No comparison when it comes to edge hold on crap. It is hands down the best design for this purpose. One consistent problem is the complaints about it being too sticky. However, taking an edge tool to it will virtually alleviate this problem without sacrificing the edge hold.

Vario: The second best option (excluding magnetraction variations). Some people find this to be the best option because it's not as "sticky" as mtx. I ride on ice/hardpack 99.9% of the time and vario worked well enough. However, comparing the Evo to the Naner, the Naner holds up much better on ice. I make this comparison because both are softer decks. The naner even with its softer flex, still held it's edge really well on ice. The Evo got sketchy.

Keep in mind, I'm talking really shitty East Coast man-made snow.

Other observations are the Lib Techs are generally heavier. The Evo and Proto are noticeably lighter than the Naner and TRice (reg model). NS Topsheets, especially carbonium, are super durable. Lib Tech bases are more durable in my opinion though. Both brands' bases are plenty fast (sintered).

I haven't ridden the Heritage and I loved the T.Rice. Hard decision for sure though because the two NS boards I rode are my two current favorites for their intended use :laugh:

CheeseForSteeze 09-07-2011 08:27 AM

If you are careful about driving your edges around on high grade hardpack, Variogrip will be enough grip. The worst conditions I rode last year were Feburary in Killington and I didn't have any problems going around the dubs on my park sized Evo (151).

ecks 09-07-2011 08:40 AM

I took the proto out during one of the iciest days at Windham and it was able to hold it edge on just pure ice without a problem. I was surprised its how well it handled so I am not sure how much better mtx can be but if its any better than vario then its unnecessary since vario hold up just fine in what I thought was the worst conditions imaginable.

Just my opinion though, I haven't tried any libtech board.

B.Gilly 09-07-2011 09:18 AM

I have ridden both forms in the last couple years along the east coast. I prefer vario grip over Magne-Traction. I did find Magne-Traction a bit to sticky for me, even though it did dig in very well in the ice, Vario Grip was much smoother for transitioning from edge to edge for me while still having great bite. Once either one is locked into a turn the perform the same task,

Edge hold will be fine with either system for the most part. Just boils down to you as a rider though, skill level and riding style plays more of a role in ice then the edge tech in my opinion. For me the main issue is the I do not have to work the board as much with Vario as I do with Magne(talking about the stickiness of transitions that I experience)which equates to less fatigue.

Leo 09-07-2011 09:25 AM

Have you tried detuning the edges on mtx Gilly?

I wholeheartedly agree with riding style. I personally don't find mtx to be sticky.

In the end, overall, I like NS boards more than Lib Tech's. The only Lib Tech board I would consider over an NS one is the Banana Magic.

B.Gilly 09-07-2011 09:40 AM

I do detune the tips and tail but not the entire edge. To me I find it odd to alter the edge that much but I do keep my edges very sharp on all my boards and touch them up probably more then is needed.

I do know some guys that run Lib tech and love them so not really a hate on the edge tech just not for me.

Leo 09-07-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Gilly (Post 415285)
I do detune the tips and tail but not the entire edge. To me I find it odd to alter the edge that much but I do keep my edges very sharp on all my boards and touch them up probably more then is needed.

I do know some guys that run Lib tech and love them so not really a hate on the edge tech just not for me.

You're just like me with edges. I don't even bother with the tip and tail. I just ride the boards as is.

I was just asking because I found that mtx detuning solved the "sticky" problem for people.

B.Gilly 09-07-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 415288)
You're just like me with edges. I don't even bother with the tip and tail. I just ride the boards as is.

I was just asking because I found that mtx detuning solved the "sticky" problem for people.

I guess my slight engineering background feels it it wrong to change something that was designed for a purpose. I am old and set in my ways sometimes.