Never Summer Proto or SL? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Proto or SL?

I'm trying to decide on one of these two board and want to know the difference's. They basically show the same specs the only difference is that the Proto is a twin tip and damping is at a 4 and the SL is directional with a damping at 5. I see the reviews on the Proto, everyone seems to say that its as stable as the SL at high speeds. Should I just save myself some money and get the Sl. I been riding for a while now, like 8yr, so I say I'm pretty experienced rider. I currently have a 05 custom X, still one of the best all mountain boards that I've rode, but just wanted a more playful board. help me out guys
kushum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Proto more playful, the SL more damp. Proto is true twin, carbonium topsheet. I don't think there is anything you can do with one, that you can't do with the other.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also SL will give you more float in powder due to the factory setback.

Looking on this boards it is tough decission. I would say that to answer this question you need to decide how much freeride do you want to do on this board.

If you want to do it all board park, all mtn stuff and don't want to sacrifice much of freeride abilities SL would be better choice.
If you are looking for board that would be ridden mostly in park, pipe and groomers with ocassional freeride I would get Proto.
ukaszeklp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

anybody else that has experience with any one of these or both. any info is appreciated. Also this board is mainly going to be ridden on california mountains. Maybe a trip to vail or whistler.

Last edited by kushum; 09-13-2011 at 10:45 AM.
kushum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I haven't been on the SL yet, but I will say the Proto is more geared towards freestyle. Yes, they have the same flex, but the Proto isn't as damp. This means the Proto has a more lively feel underfoot. This type (or lack thereof) of dampening is great for jibbing because you can feel what's underfoot. If you jib, then you know that achieving that "locked in" feeling is a good thing.

I'm sure you can jib with the SL, but again... the Proto would be better at that. The way I see it...

SL = All Mountain freestyle board for someone that rarely, if ever, goes into the park

Proto = All Mountain freestyle board for someone that does a good mix of park in his riding

I would also theorize that the SL will be a better pow board.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

I own an sl and find this board is good for hauling ass,it destroys groomers and will hold an edge on just about anything.I gain a certain confidence when I am riding it that I dont get with other boards.
Park is not where you want to find yourself on this board, it is very stiff and IMO the NS camber profile is terrible for park. You really want a full reverse camber board for park so I really would not recommend the sl for that type of riding.
IMO you need 2 boards, the sl for all mountain and something else for park, you just wont be happy with a compromise.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Having ridden both boards I want to chime in a put in my .02 cents. Both are great all mountain freestyle boards, and both are more playful than your Custom X. As ETM says the SL is great for hauling ass. It rails on groomers and felt super stable to me. I DO have to disagree with the "never summer camber profile is terrible for park." and "you need to be on full reverse camber for park" I'm not sure why you think that, but NS hybrid camber works great in the park. At any terrain park in the world you will find riders on boards ranging from rocker, camber, to combinations of the two. My NS evo is my favorite park board I've ever owned...just saying.
Back to your question though. The biggest deciding factors between the two are prety simple, 1. would youprefer to ride a twin or directional board? 2. would you prefer a more aggressive or more mellow sidecut. Good luck with the decision..you will be happy however it works out!
hhaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

I just dont like the ns rocker camber profile for goofing around, it gives a very direct feel and as I said (in my opinion) you want something a bit more loose for park style riding.
The sl is also a heavy board, you will notice the weight difference over most boards.

Last edited by ETM; 09-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Own the original SL-R (2009 I believe) and I've ridden a few days on the Proto. SL's have supposedly gotten lighter and less damp than the one I'm riding, so keep that in mind. My SL right now is softer, but it also has 50 days worth of accumulated break in. I THINK the SL was stiffer when it was new, but it was close. The Proto has phenomenal pop. Clearly the superior board in this respect. The Proto is MUCH livelier and allows for better feeling about what's going on underfoot, whereas the SL soaks up crud better. Proto will likely be lighter. I think I like the shape on the SL more. Don't know it's the sidecut or core profile or what, I just love the way that board feels. I could be happy with either one as an everyday board.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You might like the slight setback Kimchi

I also agree with HHaidar. The Evo is my favorite freestyle board now. I don't really jib rails though. I look for broken trees. Have 0 issues with the camber profile for that.