Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Moving to Mammoth, Will I need a specialized Powder Board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/41056-moving-mammoth-will-i-need-specialized.html)

stinkyjim 09-12-2011 05:09 AM

Moving to Mammoth, Will I need a specialized Powder Board?

Hey Guys,
I am moving to Mammoth in November from New Zealand. I am currently riding a 153.75 DC PLY. Which is sweet for me on groomers and park, which is all we pretty much have down here. Now Mammoth seems to be a different story with dozens of powder days per season. Do you think I need to get a bigger board for these days? I am 6ft and 78kg. Also how cheap comparably are boards in the USA, am I best to just wait until i am up there?

cheers!

Mervin MTX 09-12-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkyjim (Post 416179)
Hey Guys,
I am moving to Mammoth in November from New Zealand. I am currently riding a 153.75 DC PLY. Which is sweet for me on groomers and park, which is all we pretty much have down here. Now Mammoth seems to be a different story with dozens of powder days per season. Do you think I need to get a bigger board for these days? I am 6ft and 78kg. Also how cheap comparably are boards in the USA, am I best to just wait until i am up there?

cheers!

You are 172lbs so I definitely recommend a longer board than 153. A 157 T.Rice for example would be a blast out there.

walove 09-12-2011 08:04 AM

I was thinking the same thing, getting a larger all mountain board will handle the pow, and let you take your riding out of the park. At your weight I would think a 159 would be right on. There are a few good deals on pow boards, capita charlie slasher and the jones hover craft cost around $400 new.

nheinrich 09-12-2011 11:24 AM

I've lived in Mammoth the past few seasons. I picked up a 164 Charlie Slasher over the summer (I'm 160lbs/72.5kg). I've made due with (FK) boards around 155 the last couple of years but after a big dump it's going to be nice to have a dedicated powder board. If you have the cash for one, I'd suggest it, it can get deep.

Sick-Pow 09-12-2011 11:44 AM

399USD for a Capita Charlie Slasher cannot be beat.

Jones Hovercraft slays too and reasonable.

wait till you arrive and buy used somewhere, better deals and more of them here in the states. Tons of people unload boards at all times of the year.

stinkyjim 09-12-2011 10:09 PM

So a good powder board isn't just a matter of getting a larger board?

What qualities in a board makes it a good powder board? Size, RC or Traditional etc....?

Nivek 09-12-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkyjim (Post 416451)
So a good powder board isn't just a matter of getting a larger board?

What qualities in a board makes it a good powder board? Size, RC or Traditional etc....?

Really depends on your riding style in pow. The Charlie, one of the two CAPiTA's I still support, is directional rocker and tapered. So you will float super easy your natural direction but switch will be harder than average.

I prefer twins and directional twins unless I will literally only be riding 3ft deep all day. For in-bounds powder I find twins and dir-twins more useful.

In that case, look at a 159 Signal Omni, 157 Arbor Coda (full rocker allows the slightly smaller size), Similarly sized Flow Drifter, Nitro Team Gullwing, K2 Happy Hour, 2010 CAPiTA Indoor FK's are a blast in pow but kinda meh everywhere else (if you find one for cheap...), Forum Destroyer Doubledog, Burton Sherlock is seriously made for powder funtimes in-bounds, or a Bataleon Goliath. All around 157-161. More rocker means you can ride smaller if you wish, camber/rocker combos shoot for the middle sizes, and camber shoot for the upper end.

If you get the Omni, your board was made starting from 2x6's to the finished product 6 hours from your new home.

duh 09-12-2011 11:14 PM

You don't NEED a bigger board for those powder days but you will definately WANT a little bigger board. Most of the locals up here tend to ride twins or directional twins in a little larger size for the sweet, sweet pow. It's all preference but with rocker designs there isn't much need for a lot of taper in our Sierra Cement. From what I understand after dealing with Kiwi's for years the prices in America are much better than those in New Zealand. The shops in town have plenty of old boards in stock so grabbing a larger board once you get here makes the most sense. Plus it gives you the chance to see what Mammoth conditions are all about before deciding on the perfect shape for your riding style.
I have a pretty amazing hook-up so my quiver is really perfectly suited for my riding style. I'm 6' 195 pounds and I ride- either a 57 TRice or 59 Attack Banana for groomer/park/freeride days depending on my mood. For powder days I almost always ride a 64 Horsepower TRice, unless its a "storm of the century" dump in which case I ride the Grocer (180).
Hope this helps out!

Lstarrasl 09-13-2011 11:41 PM

160 or bigger for Mammoth for a powder board.