Help Selecting My First Snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
rcheung

Default Help Selecting My First Snowboard

This will be my first snowboard and I'm looking for a very versatile board that will not only handle ANY and ALL terrain in an excellent manner, but will also adapt easily to my expertise level as I become a more advanced rider. I consider myself a beginning-intermediate right now - I'm still having problems with toe turns. Is there such a thing as an all-around great board that will be forgiving to beginners yet satisfy and even please advanced riders? I now know that I will get a board length between 150 - 155.

(Update #1)
I've managed to narrow my list down to the Lib Tech TRS MTX and the K2 Darkstar. All of the folks who responded to my above original post have provided me with great alternatives and it has been immensely difficult for me to decide. In any case, of my two finalists, which should I go with and what board length? Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by rcheung; 02-22-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Updating status of my board selection process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
YoZUpZ

I would seriously look into the Atomic Alibi. It has year after year won Transworld's "Best Wood" award... In my opinion it is the best all around board, and I have been riding it since I first started snowboarding, and have never been persuaded to go to another board. It is an amazing board for both freeride and freestyle.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Looks like you are looking for a freestyle oriented board rather than big mountain, I'd suggest seriously looking at the Gnu Carbon High Beam (MTX is a plus) - it's only ~$320 with MTX in a 153 or 156.

You will find the Rider's Choice or the TRS a bit stiff as a beginner.

I can't comment on the other boards.

Peace

PS. Get good boots that fit
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'll post something of more substance later on, but for now, you should read this:

The Snowboard Buying Guide at CJU.com

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
rcheung

Well, I've updated my original post. Please read it. Essentially, I'm trying to decide between the Lib Tech TRS MTX and the K2 Darkstar. Would also like some advice on board length based on my height/weight. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheung View Post
Would also like some advice on board length based on my height/weight.

I take it you didn't read that link? Height is entirly irrelvent to what size board you should get.

You need to figure out what kid of riding your going to be doing the most of. This will dictate a longer or shorter board. Then, look at the various manufactures web sites and see what their recomended weight range is for a given deck size. Then, choose accoridngly.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Netstalker

I recently bought my first board.

It is a K2 After Dark, which is basically the Wide version of the Darkstar( I have big feet). I am a beginner and I ride groomed, icy east coast hills. I was riding rental Burtons, mostly customs, and it is like night and day. I find this board very easy to control and it fits me. Mind you I am over 200lbs, and hear this board can feel like a 2x4 to someone who is lighter.