Shop recommendations - am I getting upsold? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shop recommendations - am I getting upsold?

I called one of my local shops for for board suggestions. I said I'm 5'11",145 lbs, beginner, looking for a forgiving board to learn on. I don't have any park aspirations. Just all mountain cruising and eventually the occasional jump. Here's the list of boards he gave me, all in the 155/156 range. He said he was recommending some freestyle boards for their softer flex, saying they'd be more forgiving. Is he trying to sell me more board than I need? I was thinking more about Ride Control, Nitro Revolt, Forum Stomper/Recon FYI, I already bought a 158 Forum Warrior which I've decided is too much board for me at this time - so I'm looking to go in a different direction than that. Here's his list.

Never Summer SL
Burton Custom
Rome Graft
Ride DH

Last edited by buggravy; 02-21-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added info
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

His recommendation on a softer board sounds about right. It'll be easier to handle. I am not so sure of the Neversummer SL though. That is one of their boards I haven't tried, but they are notorious for being stiffer than other boards of the same design. Someone else can chime in on that one. They are also some of the most well made and burly boards out there.
If you can demo some of those boards and see if there is one you like.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
siberianmist

ive had 2 sl's and an evo. both more park oriented boards according to neversummer, both pretty stiff in flex in my opinion, but both very durable. i took my 155 in deep back country powder in vail and it was fine
Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess my main question is, in getting one of the above boards, will I just be getting another board that's over my head, but in a different way. I don't mind spending the extra $ on one of these, as opposed to a beginner board if it will be as easy or easier for me to ride. But I'm also not worried about having the "coolest" board, so if I'd be better off just getting an entry level board, I'm fine with that too.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
siberianmist

just get a never summer and it will last forever.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
sl33pyriceboi

why is it too much board for yoU?

i started out on a salomon 157 daniel franck for the first 5 times... i then got a burton custom x....and loved it soooooo much...

ive been told that it'd be too advanced for me.....but i put me on black dimond my 7th time going...and this is my first season =]