Another board advice thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another board advice thread

Hi there everyone, i am looking for some input from those with knowledge in buying a new park deck for a bigger guy. I currently weigh 95 kg(210 lb), but plan to be under 90 kg(200 lb) before the season starts, I ride size 10 boots so i don't need a wide deck.

The point of this board will be used for park riding, being able to take a beating from rails whilst im improve on them and be stabilish on smaller jumps, 20 - 25 ft (don't see the point in launching too the moon until i have these under control and landing my spins properly on them). It doesn't need the ability to slay pow or bomb down a run as i have a board for that (rome agent). I will also be doing instructing part time so i'd like a board that is just cruisy around the mountain. They will have a pair of raiden phantoms strapped too them (probably not the best pairing for the board im looking for), but being a bigger guy i certainly haven't found them uber stiff.

The board this will be replacing is a Yes Handsign 157, which i found to be on the upper end of medium flex, so i am looking for something a bit softer than this board. From my research here and the rest of the internet i have tried to narrow my selections down, but i am finding it very hard to put different opinions together as it seems the average weight of people here is quite a bit lighter than me. So with being a bigger guy i have tried to find things with carbon inserts to help with pop and it won't fold in half on me and have also tended to try find things on the upper end of the jib boards.

So i am just after opinions from people here that might be of similar weight, or can advise whether the boards i am looking at are all around the same flex.

Rome Artifact Rocker 156 (probably too soft)

Salomon Drift Rocker 156 (am favoring this at the moment)

Endeavor Colour (not sure which size, as reviews are limited)

Rome Garage rocker 156

Forum Deck 156 (pretty much zero info on the net about this board, just noticed the tech it had so i thought i would throw it in the mix)

Signal Park (looks like a noodle to me, worried i could be too big for it)

DC PBJ 156

Now these boards also entered the mix, slightly stiffer boards, but if i size down a little could work, but could be me over thinking the situation.

Endeavor high 5 155

Now i've listed quite a few boards, it is pretty much doing my head in. So any advice would be grand! If i have missed any vital info out please say so and i will add it in.

Cheers.
Chump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well as of now you are looking primarily at jib oriented decks.

The Signal of 2011 and past would have probably been too soft for you, however they are now using triax top and bottom with a carbon stringer running tip to tail. Its a more solid board than in the past. Still a park profiled core so it is still playful and jibby, just not noodly, it give you some board when you need it. Also for this year it comes in zero cam with I think you'll like more than the camber for getting pressed on rails.

The Park Flat would be my choice followed by the Drift Rocker. You might want to add the Flow Verve to your list as well. It is a really well priced super capable board. Probably the best deal on the market. I would like to suggest the Colour, but I have never even talked to anyone that has ridden it. That board does usually have one of my favorite graphics year after year.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice Nivek! Much appreciated. I believe you have sold me on the signal park flat, the only thing is you mention it has triax fibre glass top and bottom, but i can only find mention of it saying biax. Not a huge issue but just want to double check everything before pulling the trigger. Also i like the carbon stringers, as it won't become too soft over time.

Now the problem is sizing, i'd love to be able to ride the 156, but i think it could just be too short being a softer board. I know you can't give the definite answer there, but from your experience would it be pushing it too much of someone round the 200 lb mark (hopefully the highest i will push the scales for some time) to do the type of riding listed above?

Cheers
Old 09-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

consider the neversummer proto ct. while the revolver maybe/probably is too loose for your size, the stiffness of the proto is something that you would be able to still butter and press with your size. this board also has a TON of tech and carbon like you were talking about, is made to be "cruisey" on the whole mtn, and is definitely a park slayer.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
Thanks for the advice Nivek! Much appreciated. I believe you have sold me on the signal park flat, the only thing is you mention it has triax fibre glass top and bottom, but i can only find mention of it saying biax. Not a huge issue but just want to double check everything before pulling the trigger. Also i like the carbon stringers, as it won't become too soft over time.

Now the problem is sizing, i'd love to be able to ride the 156, but i think it could just be too short being a softer board. I know you can't give the definite answer there, but from your experience would it be pushing it too much of someone round the 200 lb mark (hopefully the highest i will push the scales for some time) to do the type of riding listed above?

Cheers
Yeah I know even the site says Biax, but it honestly is supposed to have and as far as i remember it does have triax.

Also, buy my things?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Yeah I know even the site says Biax, but it honestly is supposed to have and as far as i remember it does have triax.
Not calling you a liar, just trying to confirm everything. I have emailed signal to ask and try get the answer from them. Can i ask you, was the stiffness comparable between the salomon drift and signal park flat?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump View Post
Not calling you a liar, just trying to confirm everything. I have emailed signal to ask and try get the answer from them. Can i ask you, was the stiffness comparable between the salomon drift and signal park flat?
Its pretty close, but you get a very different feel being rocker vs flat. Flat you have your tips right there for you, rocker there is that inevitable "wait" time to get them engaged.

Got the final word in case they haven't emailed back. They were using triax top and bottom with their old glass, and that is what I was told. Since then they swithched glass companies to something better built. The new stuff with the carbon strip is stiffer, so they're keeping biax in it.

If I had to guess, *if you compare them to say Nitro... the Park Flat should fit where they say the T1 does. Just barely below a midflex park deck.

*not an actual comparison to a Swindle, T1, or Rook.

Also, buy my things?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Endeavor High 5 is a mid-wide and has a longer effective edge so keep that in mind. I didn't really like the High 5 when I rode it, I found it too stiff for my taste. It is a fairly aggressive board, especially for a twin and is great off big jumps, but I hated it in powder and on boxes and rails.

For a board that is a bit stiffer but I enjoyed a ton in the park, check out the Endeavor BOD. Zero camber, and lifted contact points, it's one of the funnest boards around for sure. Really stable off jumps, but also presses and butters amazingly. Check out the 155 for park.

Because you are already riding a Rome Agent, I think you would most enjoy the Endeavor Color, it is fairly soft but also has decent stability as well. It is also very light. It rides very laid back because of the style of the reverse camber which is great in the park. It is one of my personal favourites and as far as park boards go I think it beats anything. Just my opinion of course. For sizing I suggest you check out the 158, especially if you are thinking about jumping it. The 58 will give you the stability you need, but you will see that even at that size the board still presses very easily.
604 is offline   Reply With Quote