Freeride-all mountain board advice for expert rider - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Slackcountry doesn't need taper to achieve amazing float in the pow. The rocker profile itself keeps the nose up without effort. Best floating pow board I've ridden. And yes I own one.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #22 (permalink)

I've been doing a ton of freeride research too. I've sort of focused on Ride Snowboards. On the forum of their website there's two really detailed hands on reviews of both the Highlife and Berzerker. The latter was created by one of their extreme freeride guys (Jake Blauvelt); his website is sick, based on the videos there, I'm guessing you're not as extreme as him. The posts are based upon 30-40 days worth of boarding on both as sort of a pre-release test earlier this calendar year. Based upon what you say above, I think reading those reviews on that Ride Snowboard forum page would be really helpful. My guess is you'll like the Berzerker.

I too have looked at the Barracuda...and sort of focused back on the Highlife or Berzerker.

Best of Luck
Derekd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekd43 View Post
I've been doing a ton of freeride research too. I've sort of focused on Ride Snowboards. On the forum of their website there's two really detailed hands on reviews of both the Highlife and Berzerker. The latter was created by one of their extreme freeride guys (Jake Blauvelt); his website is sick, based on the videos there, I'm guessing you're not as extreme as him. The posts are based upon 30-40 days worth of boarding on both as sort of a pre-release test earlier this calendar year. Based upon what you say above, I think reading those reviews on that Ride Snowboard forum page would be really helpful. My guess is you'll like the Berzerker.

I too have looked at the Barracuda...and sort of focused back on the Highlife or Berzerker.

Best of Luck
Glad I'm not the only one!
Interesting forum chats in fact on Ride... It seems like we all kind of look for similar stuff. I do like Ride, but I'm not convinced of:
1. No taper
2. They are ultra light, snappy, poppy, chattery boards.
This is where we clash, as I need a super smooth ride, soft and damped. My ideal board will have to be medium-stiff with a good dampening system which absorbs all vibrations, especially when you rock down on fast groomers. With this view when I've tested the Burton T6 I was shocked by the extreme vibrations and chattering, due to the alluminium honeycomb ultra light core, while my Baron ES was quite the opposite.
The channel system seems to be the Burton winner, as you can tune-on-the-go moving your stance back for powder, than forward for groomers, I like the sound of that!

It would be very interesting to hear feedback from PRIOR, ARBOR and the other lot perform on this feature...

Last edited by mr.moon; 09-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.
mr.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I learned on a Ride Control...and it served me well...The T6 was chattery? That's surprising... I do move the stance already...you can do that in any board...no need for a pow board then.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^I own both the Highlife and Slackcountry and both boards are very damp. No chatter what so ever. The Highlife is stiffer than the Slackcountry, but both have great dampening characteristics.

Why are you so concerned about taper? With a good rocker profile, taper to stay on top of the pow is a thing of the past. I've ridden a bunch of tapered boards myself (including the Malolo and Salomon Sick Stick) and both the Slackcountry and Highlife perform just as good, if not better than tapered boards I've ridden.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

The Highlife is one of the most damp boards I have ever ridden.

If you are looking for complete lack of chatter, why even consider anything but camber? Just get a Custom X and be done with it.

The Highlife is awesome though. I was flying in the 50s on a fairly hardpacked day, and felt fine.

You considered hard boots my friend? Doesn't get much better than that if you are afraid the Highlife is too chattery.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
^^I own both the Highlife and Slackcountry and both boards are very damp. No chatter what so ever. The Highlife is stiffer than the Slackcountry, but both have great dampening characteristics.

Why are you so concerned about taper? With a good rocker profile, taper to stay on top of the pow is a thing of the past. I've ridden a bunch of tapered boards myself (including the Malolo and Salomon Sick Stick) and both the Slackcountry and Highlife perform just as good, if not better than tapered boards I've ridden.
Dude I'm not concerned about taper or float, I can ride on heavy pow on a freestyle twin, I just want an easy ride.. that's all, btw sidecut is also very important in this equation.

I haven't ridden a Ride, no. But I've been reading quite a few reviews and they don't seem to agree with the 'damp ride' feel, especially in the UL board range.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
The Highlife is one of the most damp boards I have ever ridden.

If you are looking for complete lack of chatter, why even consider anything but camber? Just get a Custom X and be done with it.

The Highlife is awesome though. I was flying in the 50s on a fairly hardpacked day, and felt fine.

You considered hard boots my friend? Doesn't get much better than that if you are afraid the Highlife is too chattery.
Dude I agree with you: I own a Baron ES which is a Custom X Wide, now falling apart. I'm not going back on the same board as I'm doing a lot more powder now and no park at all. Probably the Barracuda might be the one board quiver on B, or I'll split and get an allround freeride and a second board to use on super pow..
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.moon View Post
Dude I'm not concerned about taper or float, I can ride on heavy pow on a freestyle twin, I just want an easy ride.. that's all, btw sidecut is also very important in this equation.

I haven't ridden a Ride, no. But I've been reading quite a few reviews and they don't seem to agree with the 'damp ride' feel, especially in the UL board range.
Just curious, if your not concerned about taper, then why do you keep saying you need taper or a certain board doesn't have taper? Seems like you actually are concerned about it.
CB7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.moon View Post

What I'm saying though is you don't need a tapered board to get an easy ride in pow these days. You shouldn't just throw out a whole section of boards without giving them a fair shake. A nicely rocketed pow board will float just as well as a tapered board. If you're looking for an aggressive sidecut, most Ride boards won't be for you. Aside from the Berzerker, most Ride sidecuts are pretty mellow.

Where are you reading reviews? Granted neither my Highlife (2011) or Slackcountry (2010) are UL series boards, they're both incredibly damp, especially the Highlife. I put over 25 days on my Highlife from deep powder to icy days and never felt chattery. Ever. Now maybe it's different for the newer UL series Highlife, but I haven't ridden that board yet.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, just trying to help you with as many options as possible so you're not short changing yourself!