Freeride-all mountain board advice for expert rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride-all mountain board advice for expert rider

Hi guys, hope not to bother you, as I look for some board advice.

Found this site with great website while googling around... Well done!

I'm 1.81 - 6ft / 87Kg [198Lb - shoes 11.5US - 11UK - 46...], been riding in the last 5 years mainly a Burton Baron ES 168 (wide), which I like but I'm moving more to powder-only zone now and more extreme stuff...

I look for a surfy feeling on powder, stability at high speed and on landings too ;-)

Rocker, camber or hybrid... mmm a little confused on this one (reading your other post too) and not too sure about the flex level that I need if stiff or medium.

I'm not a teenager, I'm an older rider who looks for a comfy soft smooth ride with NO vibrations AT ALL as I got a very weak front knee... especially on groomers.

The selection so far is:

BURTON
BARRACUDA 169 (it would have been the Malolo, but is now out of production, shame), it looks like exactly what I look for from the brand I know, but I'm not married to it and don't mind to change... especially after hte die cut bottom sheet fell apart (out of warranty of course), and it was a Series13.
FISH 164 Love the shape and I know it'll do the job on powder, for sure. But how about the groomers? And... can you actually land on that tiny little tale? not sure about that.
MALOLO 166 (2010)
Found one on the web at a ridiculous price, graphic's horrid though! Is it dated?!

PRIOR
KHYBER 170 Love this brand and board, nice taper great powder weapon, can ride both directions and looks like it's also a tree super killer! Graphics amazing and you can even have your own..
SPEARHEAD 172 Here another nice option from Prior, probably more all mountain then the Khyber, dying to test these boards!!!

DUPRAZ
D1 6' (178)
Here come the French, always different and ever so cool! This is the pure old school mountain surf board, won't miss the sea for sure, but hey it's a gamble to take as it'll be so different from everything else I've ever tried before... Probably great second board?

I'd like to know what do you think about it and if you have personal experience to pass on.

Might need more than one board at stage of my boarding life, so advice on quivers are also appreciated (would be a 2 board quiver to start, where I can use one of them also for snowkiting).

Many thanks for reading this post, any advice much appreciated, especially if you own one of the above

Last edited by mr.moon; 09-18-2011 at 07:47 PM.
mr.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For the uber damp look into the K2 Protohype or Slayblade, Neversummer Raptor, and Ride Slackcountry.

The Harshmellow on the K2's is fantastic and will be the dampest of all the rides. Neversummers are known for being built like tanks and just from construction being super damp. The Ride utilizes Hempbrain and slimewalls which from experience, really do what Ride claims. It's a mixture of damp and lively. All that urethane in the board just smooths things out while still letting you feel some of what's under you.

One more you might like is the Arbor Element RX for some full rocker flavour.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
For the uber damp look into the K2 Protohype or Slayblade, Neversummer Raptor, and Ride Slackcountry.

The Harshmellow on the K2's is fantastic and will be the dampest of all the rides. Neversummers are known for being built like tanks and just from construction being super damp. The Ride utilizes Hempbrain and slimewalls which from experience, really do what Ride claims. It's a mixture of damp and lively. All that urethane in the board just smooths things out while still letting you feel some of what's under you.

One more you might like is the Arbor Element RX for some full rocker flavour.
dude thanks for your input, but you don't even like one of my slection???

Not sure about K2 flat rocker, Raptor X sweet but I'm not into black snowboards, Slack nice board, but not tapered enough...
Arbor, great look but don't seem to have great reviews, they seem to be quite heavy boards.

It would be easier if I get some feedback on what I've chosen though otherwise we'll make the choice more difficult [unless what I selected is so wrong that I need to start allover again!] ;-)

Last edited by mr.moon; 09-18-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.moon View Post
dude thanks for your input, but you don't even like one of my slection???

Not sure about K2 flat rocker, Raptor X sweet but I'm not into black snowboards, Slack nice board, but not tapered enough...
Arbor, great look but don't seem to have great reviews, they seem to be quite heavy boards.

It would be easier if I get some feedback on what I've chosen though otherwise we'll make the choice more difficult [unless what I selected is so wrong that I need to start allover again!] ;-)
I did my own research for like 4 months before purchasing my board. Read every review, got a ton of opinions/suggestions of the local shops, more reviews and research. Finally made my purchase. Then I found this website and they tell me the board I chose is the biggest piece of crap ever made.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
I did my own research for like 4 months before purchasing my board. Read every review, got a ton of opinions/suggestions of the local shops, more reviews and research. Finally made my purchase. Then I found this website and they tell me the board I chose is the biggest piece of crap ever made.
Oh man! Why do you think is that??? Are you pleased with your purchase or where they right though?

I always try before I buy, but where I'm based is not easy to find demo boards of my size and in the brands I'd like, sooo gotta do lot of home work before hand too!

Last edited by mr.moon; 09-18-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't take my lack of conversation on your choices as dislike. The Burtons you can, but mainly as I don't trust ICS. If those bolts come a little loose your whole binding base the freedom to twist and slide. I like my knees intact. If 4 whole comes a little loose your foot wiggled, that's it.

Your other selections I have no experience with and cant't comment on.

Curious you find the Slackcountry not tapered enough. It is their powder board designed for deep snow. It floats very well. But if you are looking for a more aggressive taper, I would even move from the Raptor to the Summit from Neversummer.

I don't recall its level of taper, if any, but you may also look into the Smoking KT22.

And I notice you are sizing up from your Baron which I assume is based on your comment that it was average in deep snow. Keep in mind a tapered, setback, rockered POW board is going to float almost effortlessly.

Also, buy my things?

Last edited by Nivek; 09-18-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Don't take my lack of conversation on your choices as dislike. The Buttons you can, but mainly as I don't trust ICS. If those bolts come a little loose your whole binding base the freedom to twist and slide. I like my knees intact. If 4 whole comes a little loose your foot wiggled, that's it.

Your other selections I have no experience with and cant't comment on.

Curious you find the Slackcountry not tapered enough. It is their powder board designed for deep snow. It floats very well. But if you are looking for a more aggressive taper, I would even move from the Raptor to the Summit from Neversummer.

I don't recall its level of taper, if any, but you may also look into the Smoking KT22.

And I notice you are sizing up from your Baron which I assume is based on your comment that it was average in deep snow. Keep in mind a tapered, setback, rockered POW board is going to float almost effortlessly.
RE: ICS I don't know as I don't have them in mine, you might have made a point of which I was unaware of.

RE: Neversummer and Smokin, I'm based in Europe and I don't have local shops selling these brands.

I'm not sizing up in fact, I'm pretty much happy where I am at around 168, less if wider or more but they are pretty much equivalents... probably I could stay at 165 with Khyber, but then again I like speed and length = stability.

Btw what do you ride and what's your style / experience?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've been riding for 10 or so years and to be honest im pretty much a park kid with some all mountain freestyle thrown in. I understand normally that would discount my opinion and advice on freeride boards, but I do know how a snowboard should ride.

Also, buy my things?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.moon View Post
Oh man! Why do you think is that??? Are you pleased with your purchase or where they right though?

I always try before I buy, but where I'm based is not easy to find demo boards of my size and in the brands I'd like, sooo gotta do lot of home work before hand too!
I am very happy with my purchase. But then again, I have never been too much into the snowboard "industry/scene." So I don't really know a whole lot/what to compare to...

I'm more of a backcountry - live in the woods type - ride for fun - snowboarding on my mind 24 hours a day 7 days a week - kind of guy.

I've had 4 boards in 10 years and ran them into the ground till they disintegrate.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
I am very happy with my purchase. But then again, I have never been too much into the snowboard "industry/scene." So I don't really know a whole lot/what to compare to...

I'm more of a backcountry - live in the woods type - ride for fun - snowboarding on my mind 24 hours a day 7 days a week - kind of guy.

I've had 4 boards in 10 years and ran them into the ground till they disintegrate.
Dude you are real, I have the same philosophy... and now need to choose the toy to ride to the end of its life