Lost in the wood: Need help choosing a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool Lost in the wood: Need help choosing a board

So first some background knowledge, I have been snowboarding for about 3 years, but only renting as I got into it right before I moved away from Colorado to Texass. I picked it up quickly, venturing into the park and backcountry with my crappy rental boards, and I am looking for my own.

I am 6' 3"
160 pounds
and a size 13 shoe (12 boot?)

Basically I want a board that will do a little bit of everything until I move back to Colorado (8 months) and can start getting boards for more specific purposes. Something I have looked at is the Burton Custom Camber 158W, I think this is a good choice for me, but I probably won't be jibbing or anything like that on this board, mostly just some jumps and rails and a lot of new groomers all over Colorado. I also want it to be able to handle backcountry.

I know it's 90% rider and 10% board, but if you Snowboarding Gurus have any thoughts on that board or others please let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by TexassSnow; 09-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.
TexassSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are on the right track for sure. The board is in your size range, fits your desired riding, and you definitely want a wide board. Also the Custom X has one of the most solid long-term reputations with many experienced riders using it year in and year out.
Sounds like you plan on doing mainly freeriding... groomers, fun-runs, powder, and then the odd jump-session. I'd suggest 156-160cm for your size & style of riding.
You'll probably want a cambered board or possibly a "gullwing style" hybrid camber (ie: NeverSummer R-C, Lib-Tech C2, Rome MtnPop, etc... RC between bindings and reg. camber btwn bindings and tips).
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nice pun. I like puns
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! I like the look of some of those boards and will have to check them out. For the style of riding I'm doing are there certain boots and bindings I'd need to look into?any suggestions would be great. A buddy of mine was telling me he has used cartels for a long time and probably won't change soon. Are those worth the money? I want something quality! Thanks again!

And yes, I love puns!
TexassSnow is offline   Reply With Quote