2005 Burton Dominant 154 for backcountry tour? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seedy J

Default 2005 Burton Dominant 154 for backcountry tour?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (please don't ban me!).

I'm heading up to Niseko in Hokkaido in 2 weeks, and I'm going on a 1 day backcountry tour while I'm there. Niseko is famous for deep powder and dumps frequently (30 cm or better each day I was there in January, probably more of the same this time around). Will the old 154 Dominant cut it, or should I try to get a hold of something more appropriate for deep stuff?

I've only used the Dominant twice (mostly in the park), but like it a lot. My friend gave it to me. It's slightly used, but in really good condition. I've only done a few short tree/powder runs with it. I had to fight it a bit to keep it from sinking, but it was manageable even though I didn't have the bindings set back all the way.

I also have a Morrow Press 158. I used it the first time I went to Niseko and it was garbage in powder. I'm not usually one to blame my suckage on the equipment, but I rented a Fish and a Gentemstick while I was there and they made a huge difference.

So... should I go with the Dominant, or try to rent a powder-specific board for the tour? If it makes any difference, I'm 5'7", probably an intermediate rider, and weigh around 165.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Fish is a pintail with a severe setback stance, that is why it is good in pow.
If it is bottomless powder, you will have trouble with a 154 non-powder board, it's pretty short, and your stance will be relatively centered compared to a powder specific board. You will feel like the nose wants to bury itself, which is probably how your 158 may have felt as well.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmmm, it will work. You'll want to set your stance back all the way. A pintail would be better, but back in the day any snowboard was considered the ultimate powder tool. I don't know how available they are but a splitboard would be your best tool if you are hiking for your turns. "Backcountry tour" generally means to me that you are earning them.

Have fun with however you get your turns. Backcountry riding in Japan looks epic.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

I weigh 170lbs and I have an array of board ranging from an Option Sansalone 153 to a Burton Bullet 164. The last good bit of deep pow I saw was between 3 feet and 4 feet depending on where we were on the hill I rode my 153 all day long and didn't even set my stance back. I did just fine and only got stuck once on a little uphill (almost made it too, just got stuck right at the top). Granted my 158, 161, and especially my 164 would have stomped it hard but I still managed just fine. If you are experienced in powder and you are hitting the steeps you should be OK, especially if the Dominant is a wide (I have no clue there). How much do you weigh? If you have another board that is longer or wider I'd bring it just in case but it may not be neccesary.

Lean back, float and don't throw out too many tight turns. Hauling ass helps a lot as well. When landing an air, lean WAAAAAY back.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Experience and angle of the slope does have a lot to do with it, steep is good. I'm a lazy snowboarder and hate back leg burn

I'm 180 lbs and have ridden all day on a 156 freestyle board. So yeah it can be done, but it is a LOT more fun on a fish (or fish type) board or a longer board.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Oh for sure! I can burn through deep flats on my Bullet 164 with so much ease it's disgusting. But I love my 153 because it is so easy for ollies etc. that I still ride it in the deep. If I set the stance back it'd make the deep a lot easier but then I lose switch capabilities (I can barely ride switch anyway lol). It's a toss up. I get sick of my boards one at a time and move on to another. Sometimes I'm so sick of my other three boards that I'll go run my 164 on the slush at the end of the season, it's just how I am .

BTW I am not a big Burton fan but the Bullet is a great pow board because the nose is wider than the tail and it shoves that shit out of the way like you wouldn't believe. I have a size 8.5 boot so the width makes my feet look like a childs. I've never ridden a split-tail board and I don't think I've seen deep enough to justify it, not even hip deep. Skeptic here, spit-tails just make me think of the late 80's which was long before I rode.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 02-22-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote