They call me "Doom Snake" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default They call me "Doom Snake"

Apparently, I have quite a reputation among the regular park-rats at my local mountain, and it’s not a good one. I even have a nick name; “Doom Snake.” Although, I do kind of like sound of that.

First, check link to the pic of my Never Summer deck in the sig file below. The nickname will become self-explanatory.

Last night I was loading my shit into the car at closing time. Some older rider walks by, looks at my board, and says “Oh, YOUR Doom Snake!?” I was like, “Huh?” Then he says, “Yeah, that’s what all the regular park-rats call you. They say you’re the worst snaker on the mountain…”

I hate riding the park when it is even quasi-busy. People wait to drop in. Some just standing to watch. They hit a rail. They stop again to watch their friend. They get in-line for the next obstacle. They do a nose-press on a box at a speed so slow I could run faster them while wearing ski boots. They get in-line again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. IMHO, this is NOT how you should ride a park. It should be ridden like any other trail…as one continuous, fluid, seamless line.

If the park is busy, I wont go near it. I hate “waiting to ride,” and then only being able to do so in short, segmented, bursts. It’s like going to an art museum, and only being permitted to see a Picasso for periods of 10 second at a time, with 2 minutes intervals in between. Utterly frustrating.

So when the park is not-so-busy, “Doom Snake” strikes. As I ride up to the drop-in point, I first look to see if any has fallen on / around the first few hits. If there is, I’ll just plot around them. Next, I scan the waiting line. At the slightest hesitation for anyone to drop-in, I cease the chance and take it. If I do see someone drop-in, I’ll just go to what ever hit they are not going towards. Usually, I can do all of this without coming to a stop. I don’t get in-line, and I don’t wait. If other riders have tied-up every possible hit, then I’ll just ride down the middle or way off to the side, staying way out everyone’s way. Thus, “Doom Snake.” I think I can live with that.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

One time I was riding past the park coming down from the top of the hill and I just rode off beside all the features still going fast from the steeps. When I get to the bottom I had a guy wearing jeans come up and tell me that Im not alowed to ride that fast in the park. I didnt even go near anything but aparently I broke park etiquete. Riding fast near park = very bad for people that snowboard in jeans.
Mysticfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
So when the park is not-so-busy, “Doom Snake” strikes. As I ride up to the drop-in point, I first look to see if any has fallen on / around the first few hits. If there is, I’ll just plot around them. Next, I scan the waiting line. At the slightest hesitation for anyone to drop-in, I cease the chance and take it. If I do see someone drop-in, I’ll just go to what ever hit they are not going towards.
^^that is how you ride park. if i was sitting around and someone did that to me, i would be totally cool with it.

sounds like the people at your mountain are being pussies. just skull-fuck them.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
yso

if you're calling your drops then i'm on your side. if not, i think i've got to go with the park rats. i hate waiting too, but i always call my drops.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
They say you’re the worst snaker on the mountain…”
As a newbie, I have no opinion based on experience. But I find it ironic, from the variety of snowboard vids, articles, etc., that so-called park rats queue up docilely in line, waiting to hit one obstacle at a time. Seems quite counter to the roots of the scene. I have a hard time believing some of the early personalities of the sport would have been (or are now) so ... erm ... respectable.

Maybe this is just a reflection of the maturation of the sport? Or maybe that crowd is a little less skilled and more reluctant to blast over serial obstacles. I would bet there is less order in an advanced terrain park (i.e., in the same resort as an intermediate park).

I was listening to the Moseley Method show on Sirius Faction the other night while driving. Moseley commented that alot of the old-school ski events are becoming "X"-tremish because no one has seen them for a long time, while events like pipe are becoming commonplace.

I bet there are many pioneer boarders that bemoan the present state of the sport. But that goes for anything I would guess.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanShea View Post
Or maybe that crowd is a little less skilled and more reluctant to blast over serial obstacles. I would bet there is less order in an advanced terrain park (i.e., in the same resort as an intermediate park).
(1) Some of these people are sick. 720's off 50 footers. Lack of skill is not an issue.

(2) At my local moutain, there is only one park. However, I have seen the same thing at kiddy and advanced ones.

Quote:
I bet there are many pioneer boarders that bemoan the present state of the sport.
This is my 21st season. I am one of them.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

So is it reflective of park overall? Or perhaps a regional thing?

I can now more see the point of freeriders in these forums who advocate hitting natural terrain rather than the park obstacles. Is that the choice: natty freestyle with no regs or stringent etiquette in park?

I would guess that until The Man (dressed in official resort jacket and probably on skis) taps your shoulder and says no cuttin', all you risk is being ostracized from the balance of the queuers.

2011 Ride Insano boots w/ redhot Superfeet insoles

Stance +15/-15 @ 24"
DuncanShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

"his name's... Doom
they wonder just who is he
but don't wor...ry
beleive me he'll get busy
when it comes... to
poetry he's got plenty
la la laaaaa... la la la la la la."

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Don't snakes eat rats They probably just don't like you because you're an old fart That wasn't bashing was it???
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticfalcon View Post
One time I was riding past the park coming down from the top of the hill and I just rode off beside all the features still going fast from the steeps. When I get to the bottom I had a guy wearing jeans come up and tell me that Im not alowed to ride that fast in the park. I didnt even go near anything but aparently I broke park etiquete. Riding fast near park = very bad for people that snowboard in jeans.
Shit I wonder what that guy does when he's trying to clear a 20 foot gap in his wranglers??? Too bad the doom snake didn't get that rat

I love that shit, I gotta say it again because it's perfect. A park rat calling someone a doom snake I've been laughing about it on and off for about ten minutes.