Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Alternate Wax Methods (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/4137-alternate-wax-methods.html)

Zee 02-22-2008 12:18 PM

Alternate Wax Methods

Rub rather than drip.

1. Crayon the wax on base
2. Heat up iron
3. Touch wax to iron and rub warm wax on base a section at a time until base is covered
4. Melt wax into base as you normally would (that is carefully, moving the iron constantly)
5. Scrape, brush, cork

This method uses way less wax than dripping, and I find you get more even coverage, and have much less to scrape off.

Heat Gun Quick Wax (Experts Only)
1. Crayon on the wax onto base
2. Heat gun on low, CAREFULLY melt the wax on to the base, move the heat gun constanty and fairly quickly. Holding the heat gun in one spot or holding it too close WILL damage your base.
3. Brush, scotchbrite or whatever, no scraping is necessary with this method.

I use this between full waxes sometimes, it only take 5-10 minutes.

:)

totalgeek 02-22-2008 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tip. I noticed at the end you say scrape, brush, cork. Does corking at then end (I do pad and nylon brush) give a better coating or make the wax absorb more into the base?

Minger 02-22-2008 01:46 PM

The way that I do it is Heat wax and then quickly put a streak in a board, and repeat...its better than leaving it dripping for too long and then realiziing oh $#@%$ the wax is smoking because its on the iron.

I do it like: YouTube - #318 How To Wax A Snowboard

But I never thought of crayoning and then just melting that.

Zee 02-22-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalgeek (Post 37867)
Thanks for the tip. I noticed at the end you say scrape, brush, cork. Does corking at then end (I do pad and nylon brush) give a better coating or make the wax absorb more into the base?

I like to course brush first, to get any excess wax off, then cork to smooth, then finally fine brush to structure. Everyone seems to have their own methods/reasons here though.

Zee 02-22-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minger (Post 37888)
The way that I do it is Heat wax and then quickly put a streak in a board, and repeat...its better than leaving it dripping for too long and then realiziing oh $#@%$ the wax is smoking because its on the iron.

I do it like: YouTube - #318 How To Wax A Snowboard

But I never thought of crayoning and then just melting that.

That's how I do it, except I've never used paper like he does in the video, that is interesting. I will try that.

Minger 02-23-2008 12:08 AM

yeah, no paper here either. Just the smearing vs dripping

edwinx 01-10-2010 03:31 PM

just to revive this old thread..

I am trying the heat gun method and did my board but I am wondering should the wax look when using heat gun? Basically, I am using the gun until the wax turns a bit shiny, should I melt it a bit more like until it is runny? I am worried I might burn the wax or my base. I am fairly good at moving the gun around to prevent hot spots.

Also, is this a replacement for hotwaxing? if not, how often should I hotwax?

Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 37852)
Rub rather than drip.

1. Crayon the wax on base
2. Heat up iron
3. Touch wax to iron and rub warm wax on base a section at a time until base is covered
4. Melt wax into base as you normally would (that is carefully, moving the iron constantly)
5. Scrape, brush, cork

This method uses way less wax than dripping, and I find you get more even coverage, and have much less to scrape off.

Heat Gun Quick Wax (Experts Only)
1. Crayon on the wax onto base
2. Heat gun on low, CAREFULLY melt the wax on to the base, move the heat gun constanty and fairly quickly. Holding the heat gun in one spot or holding it too close WILL damage your base.
3. Brush, scotchbrite or whatever, no scraping is necessary with this method.

I use this between full waxes sometimes, it only take 5-10 minutes.

:)