Too much research on new boards...HELP - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wudski

Post Too much research on new boards...HELP

Well I have been out and done my research tried some boards and I am really confused.
Can anyone help?

When I first started boarding I was on a 157 stiff board on mainly hard pack and loved it. Now I am some junk board which is 159. I can do blues fairly well and I am looking for a board that I can grow with and have kick my ass into a better boarder.

I have read many forum posts and I seem to have taken on board what Snow Wolf has to say (I know that sounds like ass kissing) but I am looking for direction and advice.

Anyway my stats are 190lbs, foot = 11 to 11.5, Height 5'10

I have looked at:

Burton King wide
Burton Custom
Rome Flag
Rome Manual
Class5 www.class5ive.com (home grown manufacture but doesn't make a wide board yet!)
Ride Dose
Ride decade
GNU CHB

Bindings I had my mind set on Burton Cartels. But after read Snow Wolf and his opinion on Rome Targa and finding them for $10 more than the Cartels, I thought should I go for that? What do you think?

Anyway I am finding it hard to choose. I also find it hard to judge my skill. I think I will be more critical on myself. But when I had the 157 stiffer board I felt I progressed really quickly and I loved the response and snap of the board. I feel on this junk board I have now I have gone backwards and picked up bad habits.

I think I am leaning towards the Rome Flag 07 or the 08 (anyone know the difference between the flag 07/08?) with the Rome Targa bindings. But when I look at other sites the say the skill level is 8 out of 10. Which I would say I am not.

Sorry for the long post! Hope you didn't fall asleep.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
yso

ha! good to see another saskie on here. have you ridden any of those boards? i know there are a couple burton demo days around the province and i'm sure the guys at class5ive would let you demo something(if you ride at mission).

what type of riding are you doing? are you riding mostly in sask or do you make it out to the mountains every once and a while?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wudski

Haven't riden one of the class 5. I was hoping they might make a wide for next year. They just had a demo day at Mission Ridge. I missed that day.

I usually go to Mission, but try to get out to Fernie if I can. I used to spend all my time summer boarding in Austria. Starts out icy then turns to slush as the sun wakes up. Kinda like mission ridge but loads bigger.

Mainly mountain, with the odd jump, no park yet!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Rome Targa is an amazing binding... you can't go wrong.

I'm a big fan of the GNU CHB, a good intermediate board that won't hold you back from progressing. Ride it a couple of years then get into something stiffer.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
ndiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso View Post
ha! good to see another saskie on here. have you ridden any of those boards? i know there are a couple burton demo days around the province and i'm sure the guys at class5ive would let you demo something(if you ride at mission).

what type of riding are you doing? are you riding mostly in sask or do you make it out to the mountains every once and a while?
Where are these Burton demo days at? Also, I have never heard of the class5ive boards, where are they based out of, Regina or Stoon?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
yso

i know there is usually a burton demo every year out at table. usually mid march. i'd contact them(table) just to make sure.

class5ive is based out of regina. i haven't got a chance to demo anything though.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
ndiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by yso View Post
i know there is usually a burton demo every year out at table. usually mid march. i'd contact them(table) just to make sure.

class5ive is based out of regina. i haven't got a chance to demo anything though.
Cool, I just bought a new board but I'd love to demo a customx or a jussi or the est bindings. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

hey i got some white/black Targas 08 for sale/trade.
i used them only once for about 4 hours. excellent
condition and there is nothing wrong with them. just
a tiny bit too stiff for my board. let me know if
you're interested. i got a paypal account.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i know that a lot of people love the targas here, but i'd recommend the cartels. its what i got when i was at your level. they were good for me then, and i still use them in the park and in the bowls. for the board, you should check into the santa cruz perfect 11 157. another board i highly recommend is the skatebanana 156. its not technically a wide, but at 25.5 it will mount your size 11-11.5 perfectly fine and with the whole rocker thing, you can hit anything from pow to park. and with the magne, it will grip into your hardpack like a friggin lightsaber. my friend describes magne as God's gift to snowboarding.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote