ride machete wide, board length advice please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ride machete wide, board length advice please

Hi,
Going to buy a wide machete and unsure about which length would be best for me.

Height: 6,2
Weight: 13st, 82Kg
Shoe size: 11 UK, US 12

I did 3 full seasons riding about 6 years ago, and on and off since. I'd say I was an advanced rider. I want a board length that will suit me for doing it all if poss. Although, these days i'm not going to be doing much park. Mainly carving, love jibing on piste though and going off piste when poss.
Looking at the specs, my weight puts me bang in the middle for the 157W. Is this a little short for me? I'm used to riding a 162W option but that is over 6 years old! I don't mind going shorter at all. I'm not sure if shorter is the deal these days. The next size up is 161W which seems about right. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

p.s. I'm prob getting the Burton Cartel binding if that makes a difference
mr_milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want to do a bit of everything get the 157 wide. It will still give you enough float to go in the pow and have a good time but you will be able to flex it and play around much better than with the 161 wide.

You are 82 kilos thats 180lbs. That puts you in the sweet spot for the 157 wide. You will be able to make really quick turns with it where as the 161 wide will be significantly heavier and less nimble IMO.
The only reason to go with the 161 wide would be if you want to ride mostly powder because you would have a lot more float with more board.
If you want to do mainly powder get another board, the machete is a good all rounder but by no means a powder monster.

I am 6ft and 170-175lbs (78-80 kilos). I ride a highlife 158 (not a wide) for up to 40cm of fresh pow. Any more and I will ride a longer and wider board. My point is that you don't need a huge board these days. The rocker helps you float in the pow.

Ride sizing chart

Ride Snowboard Size Chart 2011
BOARD Size (cm) Rider Weight (lbs) Waist Width (mm) Boot Size

Machete 152 100-150 245 7-9
Machete 155 115-165 247 7-9
Machete 158 125-175 249 7-9
Machete 160 130-180 250 7-9
Machete 162 140-190 252 7-9
Machete Wide 157 150-220+ 261 11.5+
Machete Wide 161 160-220+ 262 11.5+
Machete Wide 164 170-220+ 263 11.5+
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you dreampow.
Do you think 157 is still ok with my height? I know the weight puts me in the sweet spot for the 157 but most people are telling me cos im an 'advanced' rider and 6'2" the 161 is better suited to me. thank you
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its all opinion and preference.

I consider myself an advanced to expert rider and spend most of my time in woods and valleys away from the pistes.
I find 158 plenty for my weight (unless its very deep heavy pow in which I will grab a bigger board). I am 6ft and 1/2 an inch to be precise and 78 kilos thats about 3cm shorter than you and a little lighter. Because of your feet size you need the wide but that also gives you a total board surface area more like a 161 in a 157.

IMO your height makes no difference its all about your weight. If it gets steep and you are going fast how tall are you?
You automatically crouch down to lower you center of gravity so you are no longer standing 6ft 2. The more you bend your knees the more control and balance you will have.
If you are a good rider you will be bending your knees a lot and have a lower more stable stance than a 5ft4 beginner who doesn't have the technique or awareness to ride with a low stance when going fast.
these days board size is determined by weight, foot size and what you want to do on the board.

If you want to ride lots of deep pow and ride groomers at top speed then the 161 is better than the 157.
Like I said before if those are your main priorities then the highlife or another board would be better anyway. The machete is not stiff enough to me a master at those things IMO.
The machete is a good solid all rounder. It will do everything well.
The advantages of the 157 is that it will be much easier for you to ollie, spin, turn quickly, nose press/ tail press and jib. If you have experience of riding powder you will have more than enough float on the 157. The rocker makes it float more like it was 161 but you get the light playfulness of the 157.
Again the 161 will give more float but be much heavier and therefore less playful.

Thats all my opinion, ultimately it comes down to your preference and what you want to do with the board.
Either board you should have lots of fun, the idea is to maximize the enjoyment with the right tool for what you want to do.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would have to ask you, "How do you like you board size now?" Do you think its too big? If you are not riding park all day and mostly riding the mountain I think you would want the 161.

It is all personal preference though. I wouldn't size down just because your weight says you can. I would size down if you think the length of your current board is more than you need.

It's too bad they don't make it in a 159, because that would prob be perfect. Going from a 162 to a 157 will be a pretty significant difference. At 6'2" you also have to think about stance. The smaller you the more your stance width tightens up. Just something to think about.

I'd lean towards the 161, but like I said, its personal preference. I won't be the one riding it.
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would agree with a 161 if we were talking about a regular width board.

My avatar is of me in 30cm of pow on a 156 rome pusher (not a wide board). Even that gave enough float and stability for me to carve up the trees as you can see.
Of course its about preference and riding style I am slightly shorter and lighter but its barely significant (I always have a backpack off piste so add 4-5 kilos for that.

With the 161 you can still horse around but just less than a shorter board.
The 157 will be more playful and turn quite a bit sharper with a little less float and stability (still plenty IMO).
Again both boards have their plus side and things they will do better.

Agreed that they should have a 159 in between which would be perfect, but sadly they don't.

Either way its your choice and either way you'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for all your imput. I'm not sure if I'm any closer to making a decision but ur info is all helping heaps.

'How do I find the 162.5W now?' That's one of those qus. It's fine but I don't know any different. I can't say if I'd like another board better. I'll definitely notice the binding improvement though. I'd like to say a smaller board would help my tricks but I'm pretty sure that's wishful thinking on my part!

Anyway, what you were saying about the wide giving larger surface area, so the 157W is like a 162 is exactly what I was thinking. So off piste it will seem like a longer board anyway. It's just edge contact when carving will be less on the 157 to 161 and this is what I'm not sure about, whether I'll notice it or not. But the bonus is obviously the extra playfulness the shorter board offers.

You're both right. I'd go for a 159W without a second thought.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I took ages to choose my 158 highlife over the 161. In the end I chose right but there are occasional days when the pow is so deep I need a bigger board. I have a longer wider pow board that does the job but I would rather be on the highlife if I had the 161. On the other hand 95% of the time I am loving how easy it is to spin of jumps and tail press and anything up to 50cm of fresh pow I can rip it on the 158.

If you are definitely only going with 1 board its important to get the right one. I hate to make your choice more complicated but there are other boards out there that can do it all maybe better IMO. Certainly ride the pow better.
I hear great things about the K2 turbo dream which comes in a 160 wide. K2 raygun is cheaper but also all mountain freestyle. Ride and K2 are the same company and the rocker is similar in that its flat between your feet and rises up after the bindings.

Good thing is you still have time to look at options before winter comes.
good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks dreampow. I think as an all round board used mainly for groomers, a bit of jibbing and pow when it's there (Europe can be v fickle) the 161 is probably my best bet. I realise there are probably other boards that do it all better but I'll get lost if I go in to all of them! I'll have fun on this one for sure. thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 161 eh, You'll love it. In general boards have come on so much since you last rode. Bindings too I have the cartels from last year and they are amazing compared to my solomon bindings from 4 years back. Hope you get more snow over there than last year.
If you do get in the pow you'll have endless effortless float on that board.