Thoughts on buying a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on buying a board

Hey guys,

I am new to the forums and I had a question for yall.

I am looking into buying a used K2 Nemesis snowboard 03-04 model and 04 Ride SPI bindings. Does anyone know anything about the board? I have tried to do some research on it, but it seems that since it is an older model its hard to find on the internet. If anyone remembers anything about it that would be great.

I would classify myself as an intermediate rider on the side closer to beginner than advanced.

Any information would help. Can't wait to own my own board! Hope this is the one!

edit:Also, it might help to know that I am about 6'2 and weigh 190 with size 12 boots. the board I am looking at is 164cm.

Thanks!

Last edited by drummer5849; 09-28-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more info
drummer5849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

K2 Nemesis Snowboard 2007 | evo outlet

Some info on the 07 version.

I'd say invest in something newer unless it's dirt cheap. It'll certainly be rideable and I suspect you'd have fun on it, but unless it's verrrry cheap you can find better value on something nicer. Unless it turns out that is some kind of super seminal board that people love.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

What's your budget?

Do you know the seller? Chances are it's either been abused, ridden in to the ground, or neglected left laying in someone's garage or basement for years.

Has it been well taken care of?

Where I'm going here is: whatever the seller is asking is likely too much.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Haha thanks guys.

I found it on craigslist and he is asking $140 for the board and the bindings together. I could probably get it down to 125.

I figured for board and bindings that was a pretty good deal. But you probably know better than I do.
drummer5849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can definitely do better. I say invest a little more and get some good newer gear. Just did a little searching and found this

Signal Omni Series Snowboard from Dogfunk.com
K2 Formula Snowboard Binding 2011 | Aspen Ski and Board
Hawkfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5849 View Post
Haha thanks guys.

I found it on craigslist and he is asking $140 for the board and the bindings together. I could probably get it down to 125.

I figured for board and bindings that was a pretty good deal. But you probably know better than I do.
It's not terrible at $125, but unless you specifically have a reason for wanting that particular model board, I'd keep looking. Even going from 2008 boards to 2012 boards, there's significant tech and weight changes.

It's not that old boards don't ride well, I just think there's better value out there.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

If you're willing to spend more than that there are better values to be found, for sure.

Keep your eye on sites like Geartrade.com most of the items on there are returned (used) merch from Backcountry.com/Dogfunk.com - their return policy is 100% unconditional, if you don't like it, they take it back, just like REI, so most of these items are still in very good (but gently used) condition, and the prices are pretty good. I got a 2011 Rome Machine for $62 a few months ago. Unbelievable.

I scanned it earlier today and didn't see anything that I'd go bonkers over, but they add new stuff frequently so it doesn't hurt to keep checking. Although I don't know much about this particular board, this is the sort of deal you'll find there: Rome Mod, 161cm for $175 . Pretty good condition and a fair price for a much newer board.

Also, there is an active buyer/seller thread on the forum here and you might be able to find some good deals here.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely spend a little extra money (if you can afford it) and get something a bit newer. You will be happy that you did.
Yes Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Keep your eye on sites like Geartrade.com most of the items on there are returned (used) merch from Backcountry.com/Dogfunk.com - their return policy is 100% unconditional, if you don't like it, they take it back, just like REI, so most of these items are still in very good (but gently used) condition, and the prices are pretty good. I got a 2011 Rome Machine for $62 a few months ago. Unbelievable.
This site can be a gold mine. A lot of people I know abuse backcountry/dogfunk and just return stuff after trying it. I actually saw some stuff they returned on the site.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I don't have any experience with that specific board/binding combo, but I do have a lot of experience at bargain shopping lol. I'd offer 80 and probably max at 100 on something like that. These guys are spot on, check the outlet stores and used gear sites, but if it's a matter of you only have X amount for board/bindings and boots, I'd say spend more on boots, they will make or break your day. Like what David Z was getting at, ask a lot of questions about the use and care of the board. Big difference between used once and tossed in the garage rafters with the bindings still on vs. used for a couple days a year for years,waxed and, put away with bindings dismounted vs. beat on and worn the hell out. Inspect the deck closely for any repairs on the base, dings on the edges, top sheet for any delamination and the bindings for any warp in the bases. At your level the tech/ride of the set up will be fine for a season or two depending on how much and how aggressive you ride. All that being said I would still look for last years models on close out and get something newer.

**On a side note: Checked out geartrade.com, looked good but the search function sucks nuts!!