Binding help for big foot guy! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
WickedWheat

Default Binding help for big foot guy!

I have burton plates..... they have the 3 hole set up with 3 screws. (hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about) I set the back foot with the middle hole and it sits in the middle fine with no toe drag. The front foot will have a slight toe drag if I put it in the middle hole so I have it set it in the 1st (front) hole. But the binding sits in the middle. So both bindings sit in the middle of the board fine but in different holes. Make sense?

It felt a little awkward but I got use to it towards the end. Last time I went riding I caught an edge which is pretty odd considering I stayed on an edge rocking back and forth. So I checked out my board before I went up yesterday (new board) and noticed the toe sticking out in the front thinking maybe that is what caused it. (we all know it couldn't me my skills..... or lack thereof!)

So my question is..... should the bindings be set in the same hole to align up correctly or is it ok to ride with the front one hole off so there is no toe drag?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

It would probably help to have your boots in the same plane. Few questions?

What size boots, what board? What are your binding angles, and what's your stance width?

I'm a size 12, on a 25.5cm wide board. With my bindings at 15/-12 and my stance around 23-23.5" I have zero drag, heel or toe.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
WickedWheat

Sorry, I didn't realize you'd need all that info. I thought it would help also but wanted some advice from veteran riders.

I'm at work so can't measure it. I'll do that when I get a chance tomorrow cause I really want to get this board set up perfect so I can improve my riding.

Size 11.5 boots on mission bindings and a 162 wide custom. I don't know the degrees but it's the second notch + then second notch -. I wanted it the same angle so I could learn switch. The width of the bindings are the second triangle set up from the furthest width possible. I learned from this forum that it should be shoulder width and that is what I tried to best set it up for.

Thanks for your help.... same plane with zero drag would be nice. I'll post exact measurments tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

With a 162 wide and 11.5 boots, and that stance width, you shouldn't have any issues. Try higher bindings angles 6/-6 is pretty low (each notch on the disc is 3*). You don't need to have them symmetrical to ride switch, but if you like it that way, try maybe 12/-12 or 15/-15. I would also set both bindings in the same set of holds on the mounting plates. Keep in mind, it's ok if the boot sticks over the end of the board, the important thing is that it doesn't stick over to the poin that it will drag in the snow when you are up on your toe edge.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
WickedWheat

12/-12 seems like a weird stance to me. I'll set it up and give it a shot next time on the mtn.

Front binding hangs off a cm or two when it's on the front hole with 6/-6. Given I rarely catch an edge I was thinking that my toe catching was the cause. possible? if so what is likelihood of it being my toe or was it just one of those bad luck edge catches? It hurt and was painful... hurts worse than any fall I've taken off of any jump or box. So I want to stay away from that as much as possible. I kind of like not feeling pain the next day.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would stick with a stance that's comfortable for sure. But most people run more of an angle on their front foot than 6*.

Your binding hanging over a cm shouldn't be an issue, and toe drag usually doesn't result in catching an edge. It sounds like you caught an edge, lol. Toe drag will cause the edge to lift out of the snow, and the board will wash out from underneath of you on a hard turn.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
WickedWheat

I'll set it up at 12/-12 and both in the middle hole and ride it for a day and see how it feels.

If my toe drags will it cause me to fall instantly like catching an edge? Sounds like you're saying it will not?????

Just trying to learn all the what ifs.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
WickedWheat

Same plane and set up 12/-12. As before it felt awkward in the beginning. Same plane felt more comfortable. I never caught an edge on my front toe. Everyone says to ride 12/-12 or 15/-15 so I kept riding it. By the end of the day I was comfortable with the setup. Hopefully I can keep it like that and get something consistent and just concentrate on improving. I want to get my switch riding locked down as if there is no difference which way I'm riding.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
b_to_the_c

seems like everyone on this forum rides duck except for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
WickedWheat

Well this is my first real season of riding. Previously I've gone 5 times in 7 or so years. Everytime I went I had terrible equipment, bad conditions, packed on weekends and I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

This year I got a decent board that fit my size (imagine that) and actually learned how to ride. I tried duck stance about 3 weeks ago for 2 runs and didn't like it at all. I didn't like it again when I set it up this previous time. Once I got use to it though I felt more comfortable than any other previous position. I felt like I had more control.