Girlfriend want to learn to ride What board to get her - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Girlfriend want to learn to ride What board to get her

She weighs about 110lbs Size 7 Boots.
The smallest board I have is a box Scratcher 151 with a 25.1 cm waist. Or a banana magic 152 with a 25.2 waist.
Was thinking about a Gnu B-nice but she doesn't want to spend anymore money until she gets a chance to try riding. With the width of the Box scratcher do you think it is to wide. I want here to start on a BTX board so edge catches will be reduced. Is the BTX that much better for learning than a reg camber board? Or would a narrow board with reg camber be better?
vwbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Where do you ride? No idea on the B-nice (I was looking at roxy ally for my girl) but BTX might be sketchy on harder stuff?

It's a question I also had. My GF is not a beginner, actually has been boarding for years but is now very very timid after watching her co-worker bust his hip up. Ever since then she's toned down her riding big time. I wanted to get her a new board. The roxy ally is a good price. But thinking maybe just go with a C2 board instead.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I ride at Mt Hood Meadows. The Gnu B-nice is a BTX board with 23.8cm waist. That is 1.3cm less than the Lib Box Scratcher. The C2 is a more agressive camber than the BTX so should be better for learning. She will probably do the 3 day learn to ride pass. Then decide if she wants to keep riding. We are also going to Tahoe in Dec for a week and should get a few days in there.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Off Topic: Word of advice, go with her up the mountain and then leave her so she has to come down alone. ONLY WAY TO LEARN. I hate teaching people how to snowboard. LOL
eug3fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Consider picking up a used board from ebay if she's not sure whether she wants to commit to riding. Do not put her on your board - not only will learning will be difficult and frustrating for her, but she'll pick up some bad habits in the process. She'll need a board in the 142-145 range, which limits your choices a little bit.

Gnu B-nice is a nice board and made with the beginner in mind, but it is more expensive than a lot of other boards. Take a look at the Capita Space Metal Fantasy. Roxy Ally is also a good suggestion. The NS Pandora is a sick board with lots of tech for a good price. Lots of beginners love the Rome Vinyl.

There are two schools of thought on the reverse camber/camber debate. Some say reverse camber boards make learning easier, which is a good thing. Others say that new riders should learn properly on regular camber first. I say do whatever makes you happy.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I bought the 10/11 B-nice 148 for her. I will have a pass so helping her learn will be fun if she doesn't quit the first day. I also got the Learn 2 Ride Program from snowboard addiction. So we will be doing some dryland training before the season starts and also going to get her on a skateboard just to get used to the movement of rolling sideways. She will also take 3 2hour lessons on the hill.
I really just want her to be able to ride and have fun. So the Banana should help in that regard.

Last edited by vwbrian; 09-29-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Very cool! Learn to Ride is the way to go. A 148 for her is very long, though. I weigh about the same (a bit less maybe) and I ride anything between a 140 and a 144. I found a 145 to be too long.

Hope it works out for you!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I taught my then girlfriend now wife on one of our first few dates. Started off with rental gear that was just crap and not the right size. The result was she ate a lot of shit. Then got her a proper board and the whole set up. She got it very quick because she was comfortable and on the right size board.
My advice is even if your not going to spend a lot of cash get the right size board for her weight.
My wife was on pos camber which I think is best because you really learn to use the edges. I detuned her board at the ends to make it as catch free as possible.
Also if you can try to go for your first trip after a dump of snow. Makes a lot of difference the first few days if you are falling on ice or packed powder. That can make the difference between falling in love with snowboarding for life and hating it and vowing never again.
Maybe you can find someone on here who goes to the same mountain and can lend you some gear for the first few days?
Then once she is hooked she'll get a board.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm going to give you different advice. Spend the first day with her teaching her the basics. How to stand back up, how to catch an edge and/or stop, rudiments of how to turn. By the end of the day she should be able to stand up on the board and keep her balance enough to at least *attempt* maneuvers to control it.

THEN get her a lesson. She should get more out of the lesson if she doesn't spend half the time getting accustomed to a completely new experience and figuring out how to stand up on the darn thing.

Also, regarding frustration:.... you have to make it fun for her. If your relationship can't handle a single day of you repeatedly waiting on her, complimenting her or giving her incentives to improve then the relationship isn't that strong to begin with.

last, but not least... emphasize how much falling down and rolling around on her back in the snow she will be doing. I have found that most guys who learn kind of expect to fall on their ass all day.... this seems to come as a bit of a surprise to most females (or maybe they underestimate how much energy it takes to pick yourself back up out of the snow a dozen times in 20 minutes).
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

Because of small feet, I rode a b-nice 154 mtx...no rocker, for a year til snapping the tail, it was a really fun board and imo certianly could be used beyond the beginner level. The 148 should work fine, especially if she is athletic and a bit aggressive.

What Tarz said, and start with board, boots and helmet in the backyard or on a piece of old carpet, teaching her how to roll...lift legs, roll hips, squat over the board then stand, how to tuck and roll (no hands) fall; proper body position, movements and mechanics, show her the board mechanics, how torsional stearing and how to move fore/aft...this will be easier to do when the board is not trying to move on the snow. Have her do it 2-3 times a week before the season,..that way she will be used to the gear, boots can be broken in and/or fitting adjusted to be comfortable. Then on the hill get her some lessons and she just has to figure out how to go, turn and actually stop...and falling will be natural and feel easier on the snow.