New Board Advice - lib - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board Advice - lib

Weight: 180
Boot size: 9.5
Riding style: Goofy - Bombing, groomers, occasional pow & looking to start park
budget: no budget
location of riding: Mostly east coast with a 1 or 2 international trips per year.
Ability level: Intermediate

Background: Skateboarded for 8yrs (street and park), then quit and started snowboarding (reg camber) for a year (all mountain, some park). Moved to tampa for college and forgot about boarding for 10yrs, until last season.

Rented gear at stratton, and only fell a few times, but other wise did very well. So I bought a 2011 burton joystick, est cartels, ambush boots. Rode 33 days including a week long trip to Chili last July.

I noticed that the board felt hard to control, like you really have to dig hard to make turns. Landings and high speed feel unstable, almost like the board wants to wash out from under me. Going slow on flat connecting trails, is super difficult to stay up, forcing me to balance either heel or toe for extended periods of time. I thought all that would change after I put some time in on this board, but it didn't. The board just feels too forgiving and not responsive enough.

With that said, I don't think a V-rocker is for me.

I'm looking for something more stable at high speeds and landings. And I want to get more into park this season.

Lib tech has the Magne-Traction and I think that may help with the stability issues that I've been experiencing. I'm just not sure of which board would be best for my needs. At first I was thinking the t.rice but I hear it's not so good in the park, too stiff. And yes, I know I will have to get new binding; most likely another set of Cartels.

Anyone have any lib tech suggestions?
bryannyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannyc View Post
Weight: 180
Boot size: 9.5
Riding style: Goofy - Bombing, groomers, occasional pow & looking to start park
budget: no budget
location of riding: Mostly east coast with a 1 or 2 international trips per year.
Ability level: Intermediate

Background: Skateboarded for 8yrs (street and park), then quit and started snowboarding (reg camber) for a year (all mountain, some park). Moved to tampa for college and forgot about boarding for 10yrs, until last season.

Rented gear at stratton, and only fell a few times, but other wise did very well. So I bought a 2011 burton joystick, est cartels, ambush boots. Rode 33 days including a week long trip to Chili last July.

I noticed that the board felt hard to control, like you really have to dig hard to make turns. Landings and high speed feel unstable, almost like the board wants to wash out from under me. Going slow on flat connecting trails, is super difficult to stay up, forcing me to balance either heel or toe for extended periods of time. I thought all that would change after I put some time in on this board, but it didn't. The board just feels too forgiving and not responsive enough.

With that said, I don't think a V-rocker is for me.

I'm looking for something more stable at high speeds and landings. And I want to get more into park this season.

Lib tech has the Magne-Traction and I think that may help with the stability issues that I've been experiencing. I'm just not sure of which board would be best for my needs. At first I was thinking the t.rice but I hear it's not so good in the park, too stiff. And yes, I know I will have to get new binding; most likely another set of Cartels.

Anyone have any lib tech suggestions?
You can't really give any of you're gear experience with rentals any value. MTX will exacerbate you're flatland problem. Its hooky and basically demands you stay on edge.

For east coast starting park but more all mountain look at the Arbor Coda, Flow Drifter, or Neversummer SL. The Arbor is full rocker, but very stable and griptech works well enough to matter but not so much it gets in the way, as I feel Magne does. The Flow doesn't have "edge-tech" per se, but in my experience is grips almost as well as Griptech and is still the smoothest sidecut I have ever ridden. Don't be weary of the convex base, it does not effect edgehold and actually smooths and improves your edge to edge performance as well as making Flows some of the most stable flat-base boards I have ever ridden. It was effortless holding speed flat on I-Rock. I probably don't need to say anything about the SL as I'm sure someone else will chime in with that exact recommendation if anyone else sees fit to say anything other than Mervin. Vario grip is money, it works but isn't overpowering.

If you really want Magne, look at Smokin. They tweak it and it rides better than Mervins.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You ain't old dude. My friend is 61 and started boarding last year. I have another friend who is now pretty solid intermediate boarder who is 53 (started at 50). I don't call them old.

As for boards I hear very good things about the K2 turbo dream. The rocker profile is similar to the board I ride which is a ride highlife (too stiff for park). Anyway its flat between the bindings and rockers up towards the tips.

Just from what you said I think that kind of rocker would work for you more than rocker between the feet (most lib-tech boards). I am also not a fan of magnatraction, unless you are doing hard core mountain stuff.

All just my opinion of course.

Last edited by dreampow; 09-29-2011 at 09:21 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unless I am misunderstanding what you wrote, it sounds like you don't like the squirely feeling when you flat base. If that's the case, you probably won't like much Lib or GNU that is soft enough to get in the park on, but that also goes for NS. It's the same tech, and I've ridden both, they feel about the same on cat tracks and hard pack.

I like what the other poster suggested. Check out some of the flat camber options (K2), or even go to the Yes end of spectrum with the CamRock. If you were up for something more stiff, the Travis Rice and Jamie Lynn (Lib) really can flat base without feeling squirely. They are pretty stable at speed.

As far as washing, I had the EXACT same feeling with the Joystick. The board is shit on ice. I was out at Snowbird, and that upper bowl was all ice the day I was out there. Sheer winds blew any snow away. The Joystick was flat out crap. Washed everytime. I am not a fan of any Burton edge hold minus the Custom.

Maybe try the TRS in a demo. It is supposed to still be stable at speed, and can get into the park. Not sure how squirely it will be.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Any of their line with C2BTX

I would suggest TRS, Lynn, or Lando. All sick boards and you will be stoked.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote