Make your own all mountain hybrid - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Make your own all mountain hybrid

I am a new member to this forum but not to boarding and I'm going to make my own all mountain hybrid from a positive camber board.
Thoroughly enjoying the forum. Some useful info and lots of laughs too. One fella had me laugh out loud with this peach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post
Anybody out there ever turned their regular board into a "Powder" board by cutting a bit off the back (To reduce lift on powder) Please let me know. Thanks
By Mike 50

After I stopped laughing I thought thats a great concept and big respect for thinking outside the box. I have doubts to
whether it will work, but it got me thinking.

I have a volkl zenit 161 positive camber. Its a sweet board but a bit of a monster. Its for an advanced rider which I am and as long as you stay totally focused on your edges and keep those knees bent it rewards with fantastic carving and great powder turns. However the moment you are slightly off guard and out of position it will have you eating shit or dive into the pow. I actually like the camber in the stiff tail and although you have to stay on point, that in itself is half the pleasure.

I have another board a ride highlife (10-11 158), which I ride most of the time. Its still got great carving and pow ability but its easier to play around on with the (slightly) rockered tips.
I ride mostly the highlife but the zenit still gets to stretch its legs once in a while (deep pow or just fun carving old school).

I love the nose on the highlife which is lowrise. Its gentle rocker and that makes it float effortlessly and it won't dive into the pow.

These days it seems the industry is moving back towards pos camber somewhere in the board. Ride has pos camber through the middle and the tail with a lowrize rocker in the tip and call it the all mountain hybrid.
Thats because you just can't match the control of a camber tail but rockered tips are just better for float (IMO).

Thats where Mike 50`s idea comes in. I will do a DIY (a less dramatic version), to try to rocker up the tip of my volkl.
Not much just enough to change the easy diving nose to an upturned floaty tip.
DIY all mountain rocker for 0 cash and very little work.
The more I look at the board the more certain I am it will work. The tip is softer and more flexible for pow already, it just wants to point downwards because of the pos camber. I will just gently and very gradually bend it up a little.

How?
clamp down the front bindings and wedge something under the front tip as if in a nose press, not a huge stressy press just a very mellow one. I will leave it in that nose press for as long as it takes (still 3 months before serious riding here in Japan). I will take it out once a day and check the progress.

If anyone has any input as to why this cannot work speak now or forever hold your peace.

I will post some pics up to show the board in profile before and after.
I attached a pic or two before but it shows only as an attachment. How do I get it to be visible in the post?
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

eh, i bet its going to be a challenge as the board is assembled with the camber. as the epoxy cures with the fiber glass it holds its shape of the mold. so you have to loosen that epoxy ,which is damn near impossible, to get it to change. i feel that you might get a little change but it will be because the epoxy in the board is stressed so long that it weakens and takes a different shape. Maybe a way to overcome this weakening is to lay up fiberglass or carbon fiber on the topsheet of the nose/tail to help strengthen and hold the shape.

if you dont care about the board, then have at it. ingenuity is really fun and changing what you already have is exciting and possibly positive. just gotta try it and see i guess
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thanks for the encouragement.
I do care about the board its 3 years old and I do still ride it and enjoy riding it. Just set it up in the nose press position for half and hour and played with the amount of pressure on it.
I certainly don't know much about the inner working of boards but I do know camber gets flat or at least sags down and gets much less pronounced over time. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the change is due to the weight of the rider pressing down on it for 50 days or 100 days of riding.
If that assumption is correct I may be able to effect the same thing over a couple of months but just on the nose where I want the rocker(or at least less camber thus less nose dive).
I also realize I can only affect a minimal change more in millimeters rather than centimeters.
Still if that will make the ride more floaty in pow I would be a very happy bunny. If it destroys a perfectly good board I may not be such a happy bunny.
Been thinking of a new pow board anyhow, a ride slackcountry or maybe a Jones hovercraft (its still a secret project from the wife).

Before I commit anyone else who knows their shit have some advice for me?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

Iirc, have also seen a pic of a person trying to rocker a camber somewhat like you describe. However I don't think it will work because a board is laid up wet, then pressed when it is "hot", i.e., the chemical reaction of the epoxy heats and sets the camber while in the press. Imo clamping will loosen abit; and perhaps adding some heat with a heat gun, iron or a infared device might soften the epoxy but you also risk loosening the epoxy bonds and perhaps leading to a delam or potential thereof. Thus I think the better route is to do a swallow tail mod.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

Swallow tail will be a lot easier. They are a lot of fun in the pow too. Very slasher. I did a board that I managed to put a real nasty core shot in right on the tail but I went a little overboard I think. So the board sinks the tail way to much. Hard to really charge with but a lot of fun to mess around with.
I dont think that changes in the camber of a board will ever work well enough to be worth the trouble for all the reasons already mentioned.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've done it and it works, the key is heat. Epoxy is a plastic and softens with heat. I have an old m3 board pulled the binders and made a little jig out of wood to bend the tip up. Then I poured boiling water on it. Boiling water is 212f so it won't over heat the base. Then let the board cool. I had noticeable rocker in the nose around 1cm. After riding it and some time it did flatten out. I'm going to try again with more bend and longer heat this year before I split it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone
Walove, you did it successfully! sweet. Boiling water ey. Sounds good.
You just poured boiling water on to it once in the flexed position or you left it in boiling water for a few mins?

I appreciate the warnings about the risks from others but that just makes it more exiting. In the end its a board I rarely ride although would be nice to still have the option to ride.
From what everyone said I think its a gamble but if I can heat it gently and slowly (I am thinking Iron using a towel in between so as not to heat it too much) and go for a gentle slow change in profile It could work.

The swallow tail sounds good too, is there an old thread on that. Seems like the tricky part is sealing up the freshly cut edge properly.

Cutting and bending and fiddling with shit is so much fun. Especially if the end result is better time in the pow.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

woh woh woh. heat is not the answer. sticking to just a swallow tail will help alot and wont ruin your board. epoxy is plactic but it is a non thermal plastic. IE chemical. Heating it up like any other plastic will only weaken it. Unless board manufactures are using high thermal epoxy, which wont help your case anyways.

its the same as the stuff i machine at work. it has to be the shape it is laid up wet or its weakening.
if you want i can go lay up a couple layers of s-glass with some west systems and let it cure and try the heating. but i dont think it will work. or if anyone has any fiberglass paneling they could try it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ha basically what wrath said. i overlooked it the first time, sorry wrath.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well looks like this forum just saved me destroying a good board. I'm glad I joined.
I can hear my Volkl breathing a sigh of relief.
Thanks for the advice all those who contributed.
I don't fancy cutting the tail off seems like a hassle to seal it up properly after. Living in Japan it may not be that easy to get the materials I need. What exactly would I need?

Probably leave the old girl as she is and either trade it or just buy a new powder board and keep it in quiver for the occasional change up.
I had my eye on a Jones hovercraft and also the ride slackcountry. Different boards I know but both will give me the effortless float I am looking for when it gets very deep and very heavy powder.
Its usually deep here in Japan but light and fluffy in which case my highlife is perfect. Over 50cm and when it is heavy pow I need more float.

Any advice on these two pow boards or others is welcome.
Being in Japan available brands are somewhat limited I prefer to buy half price or at least 30% off and only a few brands will be available in sales. Regular prices here are way way more than in the states (often close to double).