Thoughts on buying first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Thoughts on buying first board

Hey everyone, (new member here) first of all i would like to say that this place is amazing full with great information!

I just started snowboarding last season and found it extremely fun. Now that im stuck to the sport, i'm looking towards for next season, so i have a few questions for you guys.

I was looking into buying a used 2010 152cm Burton Hero off craigslist for 300$ (fair price?) and was wondering if that would be a good board to start learning tricks/jumps (i would consider myself between a beginner and intermiate rider). Does anyone think this would be a good board for a starter like me? or can someone point me to a different board that would most likely fit my position? If anyone can give me some thoughts, advice, and ideas, i would apperciate it. Last season i mostly rode my brothers Rome sds agent 154.

Any suggestions/information would help! Btw, im 5'6 and wiegh 155lbs with size 8.5 shoes. So would a 152 be good for my size?

Thanks!
DREAM-faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Flow Era? You can get the 2011 for cheap.

$191 Flow Era Rocker Snowboard 2011 | evo outlet

$240 for 155 Flow Era Snowboard | Peter Glenn

I don't have experience on the board but I will soon, because based on reviews by BA and Nivek and ridiculous cheap price (less than $200?) I told my buddy to get it. I will ride it vs. the NS Evo and compare ... once the snow shows up.

No idea on the Burton, I'll let the more experienced guys chime in. Here is the 2012 version

The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Burton Hero Used and Reviewed

Which according to a poster and BA is just missing the squeezebox for 2011
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi DF,

Stoked that you are loving boarding!

Where do you live/ride?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks alot jdang, that is some sweet board and price. I'll look into the Flow Era and thanks for the thoughts!

@wierdsport, i live in Stockton and i ride at NS and will continuing riding mostly at Northstar this upcoming season.

Last edited by DREAM-faw; 10-02-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAM-faw View Post
thanks alot jdang, that is some sweet board and price. I'll look into the Flow Era and thanks for the thoughts!

@wierdsport, i live in Stockton and i ride at NS and will continuing riding mostly at Northstar this upcoming season.
At the $300.00 range you can do incredibly well buying either a lst season's model or a brand new 2012 (there are some incerdible board for you at that price range). Used is always a game of chance. I am sure that you will get some great suggestions here, but for your area (good snow) you can get an amazing new board within that budget.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree that 300 is a lot for a used board.
I would say look at last years boards and for 300 you will have lots of choice.
K2 raygun, a do anything and good in the park board 350 for the 2012 version.
Ride crush again great in the park and can do a lot lot more 379 for the 2012.
Either of those boards you could probably find a 2011 board in your budget or just pay a little more and have a brand new board. Especially with boards that are used in the park, 2nd hand is a gamble.

Also if the Hero has a channel system that limits your options on bindings. Then lets say next year or the year after you want to change boards to a non channel system. Well you will have to buy bindings too even if they are still OK.

Thats why I have never ridden a burton board (I ride their cartel bindings and like them a lot though).
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wiredsport, you for sure are super duper correct. Is there any other board you would recommend? I don't really know much about boards yet. But thanks for the advice, it really does change my point of view in buying a new board now.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
I agree that 300 is a lot for a used board.
I would say look at last years boards and for 300 you will have lots of choice.
K2 raygun, a do anything and good in the park board 350 for the 2012 version.
Ride crush again great in the park and can do a lot lot more 379 for the 2012.
Either of those boards you could probably find a 2011 board in your budget or just pay a little more and have a brand new board. Especially with boards that are used in the park, 2nd hand is a gamble.

Also if the Hero has a channel system that limits your options on bindings. Then lets say next year or the year after you want to change boards to a non channel system. Well you will have to buy bindings too even if they are still OK.

Thats why I have never ridden a burton board (I ride their cartel bindings and like them a lot though).
Again, thanks for the head up guys! i really appreciate it. I will look into the boards you just list especially the k2 (do you have any experience with these board btw?). And i read about the cons for the burton hero bindings, which was kinda of disappointing. Thanks dreampow!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAM-faw View Post
Wiredsport, you for sure are super duper correct. Is there any other board you would recommend? I don't really know much about boards yet. But thanks for the advice, it really does change my point of view in buying a new board now.
You have some very good suggestions already. I would (with great bias) add the Flow Verve, Nitro Prime Propaganda Zero, and Bataleon Fun Kink and Gnu Carbon Credit. Those will be insane top quality boards for you to rage on, and they range from the low Two hundreds to mid Three hundreds (with a mix of 2011 and 2012).

Happy riding!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have not ridden the K2 raygun but I have heard good things about K2 from a number of riders here in Japan.
I was looking at the K2 turbo dream as an all mountain board for myself.
I recommended it because is it would fit your budget and I hear K2 make very solid decks.
On further consideration the raygun may be a bit stiff if you mainly want to hit the park.
would be a great do everything board to start from and you can definitely do well in the park with it. You surely could find last years board (the same as this years apart from graphics) for less than 300. Maybe less than 250!

I own a ride highlife and demoed a number of their boards but not the crush because I rarely hit the park.
I prefer more all mountain and powder freeride. Still I have been on boards like the antic and manic which are more or less just stiffer versions of the crush. Same kind of profile with a flat base and rocker in the tips.
I love my highlife and I enjoyed the other boards I demoed. I like their boards a lot and they are well respected by shredders here on this forum.
They make a good solid board and if you mainly want to hit the park the crush would be in your price range and a very good board IMO.

A quick search reveled a 152 (the size you want IMO that goes for any board) for 230 bucks!
I am tempted to get one and start working on my park skills. Sadly because I live in Japan the postage would be just silly. Anyway here is the link I found. They also had ride EX bindings from last year for like 100 or so.

Ride Crush Snowboard

I found this in like a 2 min search. You could maybe find even better deals if you look.

The boards wiredsport recommended are also great boards. Either way you can be ripping a brand new board with a 1 year warranty for way less than 300. Hell you could maybe even be on a new board with new bindings for not much more than 300.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote