wassup guys I'm new from Texas now living in Colorado - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wassup guys I'm new from Texas now living in Colorado

What's up ya'll? So I am now in Colorado for school and man I am itching to snowboard. Did it for a week with some friends back in 2006 and loved it. I picked it up suppppper fast I thought. Easily doing blues by the end of the week and some short blacks. I just kept pushing myself to try and keep up with my friends. It was good for me. I went down hard a few times but man I love that kind of stuff. Even went off a jump day 4 and got KO'd for 30 minutes. Yeah lesson learned...wear a helmet. Anyways........

I have been doing research about everything snowboard the past few weeks and I have learned a lot. I am kind of an awkward shaped dude. Fuckin' tall. 6'3. Skinny dude too. 155-160 on a good day. Shoes of about 10.5-11. Checking out gear online and I am thinking that a mid-wide board would be best for me. I understand heel and toe hang is a big no no for carving so I don't want any of that. Lookin at boards around 258-263mm waist. What kind of riding do I plan on doing?

Well I guess no body knows for sure when they first begin snowboarding but park seems like where I will be most of the time once I get the fundamentals down. Flying down steep hills with deep pow doesn't really sound too appealing to me. Carving on grooved runs seems like where I will want to be if I'm not in the park. When I snowboarded back in 06 the board I was using was hard to make sharp fast turns. I'm guessing that they gave me a long directional board for stability and it was fine I guess.. But...Doing sharp turns and making fast cuts seems more fun to me than getting high speed and big swooping turns. So I have come down to a few boards that would suite me well...Need ya'lls thoughts though.

First off the K2 Raygun wide 157 seems like a legit all mountain board. I hear great things about this board. It has that all terrain rocker shape which is cool. I have read some places this is a good park board and others say not so much. Seems like this board might be better on mountain than in the park.

Second choice is the K2 WWW Rocker wide 156. Man I have watched some videos of this board and it seems super buttery and flexible. This board looks better in park but not as good all mountain. But seeing as that I don't really want to ride tough mountain runs much do you think this board will be good?

This leads me into a more broad question which is highly variable but what size board do you guys think would be best for me? I mean I am tall but I am light and kinda have a small foot for my size. It seems like a smaller board would be easier to maneuver which is what I seek more than fast boards. Also with a size 11 foot is a mid-wide board a good and safe choice for me?

Some other boards I have been looking at have been the Rome Manual, Rome Garage rocker, Forum Recon, Burton Blunt, and the Nitro Pro Series. All these boards are wide with about 262-265 waist. I am also trying to keep costs down and not try to spend over $300 for a new board seeing as I am in college and need to get all the other equipment as well.

So to sum this up about what size boards should I be looking at to ride? 155-159? I am pretty sure I will pick up snowboarding really fast again seeing as I usually pick stuff up like snowboarding pretty naturally. What are some things I should be looking for in a board? Are mid-wide to wide boards for me? What are some good ways to save money in snowboarding? Any advice for someone about to get ready for their first season? I am going to rent gear the first time this year and if I feel like I will enjoy snowboarding then I will go out and buy all my own stuff. Anyways I appreciate you for reading all this if you have made it this far. Looking forward to learning a lot on this site!

Last edited by ace9213; 10-02-2011 at 08:32 PM.
ace9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9213 View Post
What's up ya'll? So I am now in Colorado for school and man I am itching to snowboard. Did it for a week with some friends back in 2006 and loved it. I picked it up suppppper fast I thought. Easily doing blues by the end of the week and some short blacks. I just kept pushing myself to try and keep up with my friends. It was good for me. I went down hard a few times but man I love that kind of stuff. Even went off a jump day 4 and got KO'd for 30 minutes. Yeah lesson learned...wear a helmet. Anyways........

I have been doing research about everything snowboard the past few weeks and I have learned a lot. I am kind of an awkward shaped dude. Fuckin' tall. 6'3. Skinny dude too. 155-160 on a good day. Shoes of about 10.5-11. Checking out gear online and I am thinking that a mid-wide board would be best for me. I understand heel and toe hang is a big no no for carving so I don't want any of that. Lookin at boards around 258-263mm waist. What kind of riding do I plan on doing?

Well I guess no body knows for sure when they first begin snowboarding but park seems like where I will be most of the time once I get the fundamentals down. Flying down steep hills with deep pow doesn't really sound too appealing to me. Carving on grooved runs seems like where I will want to be if I'm not in the park. When I snowboarded back in 06 the board I was using was hard to make sharp fast turns. I'm guessing that they gave me a long directional board for stability and it was fine I guess.. But...Doing sharp turns and making fast cuts seems more fun to me than getting high speed and big swooping turns. So I have come down to a few boards that would suite me well...Need ya'lls thoughts though.

First off the K2 Raygun wide 157 seems like a legit all mountain board. I hear great things about this board. It has that all terrain rocker shape which is cool. I have read some places this is a good park board and others say not so much. Seems like this board might be better on mountain than in the park.

Second choice is the K2 WWW Rocker wide 156. Man I have watched some videos of this board and it seems super buttery and flexible. This board looks better in park but not as good all mountain. But seeing as that I don't really want to ride tough mountain runs much do you think this board will be good?

This leads me into a more broad question which is highly variable but what size board do you guys think would be best for me? I mean I am tall but I am light and kinda have a small foot for my size. It seems like a smaller board would be easier to maneuver which is what I seek more than fast boards. Also with a size 11 foot is a mid-wide board a good and safe choice for me?

Some other boards I have been looking at have been the Rome Manual, Rome Garage rocker, Forum Recon, Burton Blunt, and the Nitro Pro Series. All these boards are wide with about 262-265 waist. I am also trying to keep costs down and not try to spend over $300 for a new board seeing as I am in college and need to get all the other equipment as well.

So to sum this up about what size boards should I be looking at to ride? 155-159? I am pretty sure I will pick up snowboarding really fast again seeing as I usually pick stuff up like snowboarding pretty naturally. What are some things I should be looking for in a board? Are mid-wide to wide boards for me? What are some good ways to save money in snowboarding? Any advice for someone about to get ready for their first season? I am going to rent gear the first time this year and if I feel like I will enjoy snowboarding then I will go out and buy all my own stuff. Anyways I appreciate you for reading all this if you have made it this far. Looking forward to learning a lot on this site!

If you're wearing a size 10.5 boot, you wont really need a board as wide as you're looking at. I ride a 25.1 cm waist width board and I have 11.5 boots with no toe or heel drag whatsoever. If you're starting off now, you're going to want a board that's easy to learn on and that's a little bit softer. In my opinion, I would recommend something with reverse camber, because it will help you begin to learn how to initiate and link toeside to heelside turns. Anyways, I really like the Gnu Carbon Credit Series as a starting point. It's a "budget" BTX board, and will really help you get into snowboarding and progress quickly. I don't really know what your price range is, but i think that would be a good starting point.

Some of the boards you listed are great boards, but I'm not so sure you'd be comfortable on them as your first board. The raygun is pretty hard charging, and will buck you around if you aren't very experienced. The K2 WWW is very nice, and it's a great park board and you would have fun on it as starting-snowboarding deck, but if you moved to all-mountain riding, I'm not so sure you would be as happy on it. I hope this helps, and you sound really enthusiastic about the sport! Welcome aboard!

Also, if you have any more questions about sizing or further discussing decks, ask away!

Edit: sorry i missed the part about you saying you dont really want to spend over 300 dollars. my fault!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay cool so I was unsure if I needed such a wide board. Well I have been strictly looking at mid-wide to wide boards so now this opens up more options. I think I just want to cruise around poppin off stuff and learning the park for the season. A rocker shape has been what I have been leaning towards so I'm good there.

Kind of changing direction here but, what do you wear as far as pants go? I'm from Texas so my winter gear there consists of 2 sweatshirts and jeans. Haha. I know there are snowboarding pants but what do I wear underneath them? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9213 View Post
Okay cool so I was unsure if I needed such a wide board. Well I have been strictly looking at mid-wide to wide boards so now this opens up more options. I think I just want to cruise around poppin off stuff and learning the park for the season. A rocker shape has been what I have been leaning towards so I'm good there.

Kind of changing direction here but, what do you wear as far as pants go? I'm from Texas so my winter gear there consists of 2 sweatshirts and jeans. Haha. I know there are snowboarding pants but what do I wear underneath them? Thanks!
Well you definitely are going to want to get a pair of waterproof pants specifically made for snowboarding. Basically anything made by Special Blend and Burton is great. I love burton outerwear, but hate their boards . Anyways, when I ride, it's usually pretty damn cold (northeast FTW), so i either wear a pair of long underwear or a pair of pajama pants under my snowboard pants. Being in Colorado, you're probably going to want a jacket too, preferably something with Gore-Tex in it, because it will be very cold and probably snowing when you ride. Also, be brave when picking your colors. It disappoints me when I see people wearing all black on the mountain. Get some poppy colors and be bold!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Well you definitely are going to want to get a pair of waterproof pants specifically made for snowboarding. Basically anything made by Special Blend and Burton is great. I love burton outerwear, but hate their boards . Anyways, when I ride, it's usually pretty damn cold (northeast FTW), so i either wear a pair of long underwear or a pair of pajama pants under my snowboard pants. Being in Colorado, you're probably going to want a jacket too, preferably something with Gore-Tex in it, because it will be very cold and probably snowing when you ride. Also, be brave when picking your colors. It disappoints me when I see people wearing all black on the mountain. Get some poppy colors and be bold!
Haha alright I will get some bold colors for sure. I'm guessing you not liking burton boards is just personal preference. lol.

And holy crap there are sooooooooooooo many choices my head is spinnin. I don't know what board to get. The K2 WWW seems cool. But man there are so many others I haven't even really looked at that could be just as good if not better. What are some other good park boards under $300 that I could take up the mountain ever now and then and hit some groomers for funnies?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to Co! What part?

My neighbor is selling and brand new Never Summer SL (although it's an 07-08 model), It is a 161. so it will fit your big feet. He is asking $275.
bluesk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesk8r View Post
Welcome to Co! What part?

My neighbor is selling and brand new Never Summer SL (although it's an 07-08 model), It is a 161. so it will fit your big feet. He is asking $275.
I'm in Greeley! So Loveland is pretty close! And thank you for the offer but I'll have to pass.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thoughts on the 2012 Rome garage rocker? Will 25.3cm waist be good for an 11 boot?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey welcome to Co!

My wife and I just moved up to Loveland a couple months ago from Dallas Texas! Shes doing grad school over in Greeley.
I've been riding for around 16 years for just a few weeks each winter but finally getting into it more now that we live up here. (we're both 26)

Anyways I just picked up a 156 raygun. I'm 6ft 160lbs with around 10.5-11 foot. I haven't picked up boots or bindings yet but will be soon.
As for gear I'm one of the loosers that's in all black.... I'm not a big Burton fan but I picked up a great black softshell jacket/hoodie a year or 2 ago and it has been my favorite ski jacket. Light, warm, and no bulk. I am also probably one of the few but I love the bib style pants. Not a huge fan of the looks but they are fantastic if you like powder or expect to be pushing yourself and fall a lot. The pants go up your chest some which keeps any snow from going down your ass. I also wear long sleeve underarmor shirt and pants under the gear to keep warm. It can get pretty chilly up on the mountain in dead of winter. Whatever you do don't cheap out on Boots or socks. Nothing is worse that sore or cold feet. I am spending as much on boots as I am on my board.

If you or bluesk8r ever want to ride up to the slopes we can all split gas. I bought the Epic local passes this season.
Good luck with the board/gear search I'm no pro but if you need any help let me know.

-Mack
Mack211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Have you thought about going to the ski/snowboard expo in denver in nov? You can check out used gear cheap and lots of stores are selling years past gear, and if your a good horse trader you can talk em down.
rc_moe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote