back country/heli trip board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default back country/heli trip board

ok after 23 years boarding im leaning toward making a trip to do a heli tour this winter. was going to do it last year but it never stopped snowing at home in Tahoe. i have a 3 boards a 158w Banana Magic and a 162w Burton Custom flying V and a old 167 baron es... im thinking of picking up a 163w or 168w ride highlife. im 6'1 , 210 lbs and size 12 feet. what would be a good size board for bringing on a heli trip? would a 163 w highlife be too small to bring for these kinds of trips ?
should i be looking at a 168w ride highlife or 168 ride slack country, a 167 snow mullet or perhaps a 165 or 168 Skunk ape or something else or even bigger....?
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

We get it. You have a large arsenal at your disposal. LOL I kid I kid. But seriously I suggest YOU, with your 23 years of snowboarding experience, make an informed decision on which board you feel most comfortable riding through new, or quite challenging terrain for you, the one thats gotten you through a couple dodgy situations and let you live to brag about them in the lodge. You know, "the old standby" Then double check that setup is good to endure a long days ride and don't think twice about it. The end.

P.S. I like your boards I rock a Magic Banana as well!
SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
We get it. You have a large arsenal at your disposal. LOL I kid I kid. But seriously I suggest YOU, with your 23 years of snowboarding experience, make an informed decision on which board you feel most comfortable riding through new, or quite challenging terrain for you, the one thats gotten you through a couple dodgy situations and let you live to brag about them in the lodge. You know, "the old standby" Then double check that setup is good to endure a long days ride and don't think twice about it. The end.

P.S. I like your boards I rock a Magic Banana as well!

i really like the magic banana, picked it up used late in the season spent most days of the season on the flying v. which was a ton of fun but it just felt a bit sketchy when i was on steep,hardpack and or icy conditions. what i would really like is something like the banana magic just longer. as stiff or stiffer... or like the flying v but stiffer, with more pop and can really carve on hardpack.

normally i would demo stuff before buying but season hasnt started and there are a ton of deals on the net for 2010 and 2011 boards...
neveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

altered-genetics 162 if 25.7 waist works for you. No more mullet, 164 La Nina looks similar to the slack country, directional powder no taper. I have a 165 mullet and at 170lbs it is more then enough float for any circumstance. With rocker you don't have to go really long if you don't want to.

Last edited by walove; 10-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
walove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveo View Post
ok after 23 years boarding im leaning toward making a trip to do a heli tour this winter. was going to do it last year but it never stopped snowing at home in Tahoe. i have a 3 boards a 158w Banana Magic and a 162w Burton Custom flying V and a old 167 baron es... im thinking of picking up a 163w or 168w ride highlife. im 6'1 , 210 lbs and size 12 feet. what would be a good size board for bringing on a heli trip? would a 163 w highlife be too small to bring for these kinds of trips ?
should i be looking at a 168w ride highlife or 168 ride slack country, a 167 snow mullet or perhaps a 165 or 168 Skunk ape or something else or even bigger....?
If you're riding straight pillows and powder, why not try the banana hammock? Surfing on the snow sounds pretty epic, and so far as I can tell it's all Trav takes when he goes up to Alaska or is riding backcountry in wyoming.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

maybe something from jones snowboards? all of their boards are for freeriding. like the flagship or the hovercraft
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

6'1" and 210lbs, and you ride a 158 Banana Magic?

I'm 5'6" and 160lbs, and ride the 157.

Can you flex that thing pretty well?

BTW - it is an awesome board.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rooster King

NS Raptor X 165 would probably be a pretty sick board to take out there.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Shred is apparently the only one that paid attention. Alaska Heliskiing is all big mountain open faces, spines, and chutes.

168w Highlife would do well, 169 Flow Solitude, its Basich's work and rides like a mans board, speaking of, the Salomon Mans board would do well, 165 id do it. Or you could ride Olofsson's board child and get a Venture Odin. Pick your width and size. Probably the 26 waist, so probably the 169.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have you looked at the 'yes Pick Your Line' or the 'TDF'
df_321 is offline   Reply With Quote