New and need help!!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New and need help!!!!

So here's the run down....

Like the title says, I am new to boarding. I have been a skier since my youth, but need new gear and I am willing to make the change.

5'9" 190 lbs (my weight varies from 180 to 200)

I have been doing a bit of research, and even though I know manufactures vary a bit I think I will need something around 160cm (please correct me if I am wrong). I went boarding for the first time last year and I had a great time...fell about a hundred times in the first hour or so...but after that I was making down most of the runs without falling, able to link turns, etc...stopping was just getting there when my wife broke her wrist and we headed to the hospital.

I went to a local shop here in Michigan and the guy recommended a Burton Custom Flying V. Not sure if his recommendation was a good one or not? I am looking for an "all-mountain" type...everything here is groomed, but we have a trip planned for colorado in february (this is an anuual trip)Can you please give me some options for boards????

I am a quick learner, and very athletic. should have at least 3 or more weekends of boarding before our trip out west. If you need more info, please let me know.
quicklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Whereabouts in Michigan? There's a Michigan regional thread here which is pretty active with people always trying to arrange meets & discuss gear & make fun of each other. Good times.

Anyways about your board... I think Custom Flying-V is better suited for intermediate +. If you like the Burtons you might want to consider the Joystick. I think it is a tad cheaper and I definitely preferred it to the Custom. Here are some reviews Leo & I did on both these boards up at Boyne Mountain last winter.

Burton Joystick

Burton Custom Flying-V

There may be some less-expensive options out there if budget is a concern. LMK if you have any questions!
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Whereabouts in Michigan? There's a Michigan regional thread here which is pretty active with people always trying to arrange meets & discuss gear & make fun of each other. Good times.

Anyways about your board... I think Custom Flying-V is better suited for intermediate +. If you like the Burtons you might want to consider the Joystick. I think it is a tad cheaper and I definitely preferred it to the Custom. Here are some reviews Leo & I did on both these boards up at Boyne Mountain last winter.

Burton Joystick

Burton Custom Flying-V

There may be some less-expensive options out there if budget is a concern. LMK if you have any questions!
Thanks for the reply! I am in Livonia...We will hit alpine here or there cause its local, but Boyne or treetops is where we will be heading this winter.

I am open to any manufacturer really. Just want something that is going to be well suited for Michigan stuff as well as keep me from being miserable out west. I know he mentioned the Custom Flying V because it was a board I could "grow" into. I just dont want something that will be difficult to ride.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Seriously a new board is your least of your needs.

Good Boots that are tight and fit is number one.
Good Bindings that the boots fit in #2

Get a used 157 off of craigslist or Ebay. Ride it a year and then buy a new board.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Seriously a new board is your least of your needs.

Good Boots that are tight and fit is number one.
Good Bindings that the boots fit in #2

Get a used 157 off of craigslist or Ebay. Ride it a year and then buy a new board.
Picking up the boosts this weekend..have it down to 2 different boots...just need to try them on again and decide. Once I have the boots I will get the bindings....Then the board.

But I want to have a plan together of what I am looking for or at least a round about idea.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklx View Post
Picking up the boosts this weekend..have it down to 2 different boots...just need to try them on again and decide. Once I have the boots I will get the bindings....Then the board.

But I want to have a plan together of what I am looking for or at least a round about idea.

Make sure the boots are super tight because they pack out, don't wear thick socks, wear good skiing socks. Nothing is worse then boots that your foot moves around in.

Bindings, make sure they have a toe cap. Best innovation in snowboarding.

If you've got money to burn then get a new board. Look around 157, I don't know anything about Burton boards. I'm a Lib Tech/Gnu guy so I can't help you.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I am in Livonia...We will hit alpine here or there cause its local, but Boyne or treetops is where we will be heading this winter.
Good deal. I make it out to Alpine occasionally. Most of the people in the MI thread on the forum here (go ahead & introduce yourself there!) are in Southeast MI so there's a lot of people riding Pine Knob, Alpine, Mt. Holly and I think some people even go to Mt. Brighton.

Quote:
I am open to any manufacturer really. Just want something that is going to be well suited for Michigan stuff as well as keep me from being miserable out west. I know he mentioned the Custom Flying V because it was a board I could "grow" into. I just dont want something that will be difficult to ride.
For what it's worth when we did those reviews it was very typical Michigan conditions. Cold, a bit of wind. Hardpacked snow for the most part with patches of ice and a tiny bit of drifted fresh snow.

Both of those boards are rockered so you shouldn't have any issues in the deep stuff out west (if you're lucky!) other than technique. Riding pow is different than riding grooms. I just preferred the Joystick to the Custom.

I'd look for something in the 157-158cm size. As you get better you might decide you want something longer eventually, but that would be a good place to start. Go with a "wide" board if you have big feet (11.5+).

I also thought the Gnu Carbon Credit was an excellent beginner/intermediate board and it's about $100 cheaper. Gnu uses serrated edges on their boards called magnetraction which helps provide better grip/edge-hold in icy conditions.

Last edited by david_z; 10-05-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add'l info
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

Not suprised that someone tried to sell you a burton in a shop, however you will find most online places like this one to not love burton.

Shop ppl usually have an agenda that has nothing to do with your needs. Do some more online research about boards.

Some criteria I care about, you may not:

1. I prefer handmade in the usa over machined in china
2. tech: carbon fibers, camber variant, edge profile, etc.
3. warranty/durability

Its pretty easy to get a feel for things, just do some reading, this forum has a TON of info, the search function is money.

Not being a hater on burton, but I have yet to hear anything positive about them that puts their product over their competitors. Especially boards. Their boots have a much better appeal, the burton moto is the top selling boot of the last 10 years and I doubt it is because its uncomfortable. Their bindings also do well. I wear burton gloves cuz i got a deal on em and they work fine (if a little crappy on the craftsmanship).

Something to consider about burton boards: the main reason you see them on the hill is because 90% of the rentals out there are burtons.

Here are some brands that you will find alot of good things about on this forum and the interwebs in general:

Never Summer (props to the local boys)
Mervin - Lib Tech/Gnu
Arbor
Ride
Bataleon
K2
Signal
Stepchild
Yes.
-to name a few

Again the advice to wait on buying a board cannot be overstressed. Boots and bindings are something that you need to have good shit, but as a beginner the board you choose is going to have very little impact on your riding for the next couple of years. Better to buy something 2nd hand or super cheap so that you can replace it or add to your quiver quickly if it doesn't suit your tastes or current conditions. If you go spend $600 on a board right now, you may or may not like it very much, and you won't be able to unload it very easily (especially if its a burton). Again not hating on burton, but speaking from recent experience/mistakes in board buying.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
Make sure the boots are super tight because they pack out, don't wear thick socks, wear good skiing socks. Nothing is worse then boots that your foot moves around in.

Bindings, make sure they have a toe cap. Best innovation in snowboarding.

If you've got money to burn then get a new board. Look around 157, I don't know anything about Burton boards. I'm a Lib Tech/Gnu guy so I can't help you.
Completely on the same page with the fit. Any suggestions for the Bindings?

I looked into the Lib-tech / Gnu stuff and I was wondering what you think of the Skate Banana or the Carbon Credit BTX??? Both seem to be decent boards...the Gnu is about $100 cheaper.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Good deal. I make it out to Alpine occasionally. Most of the people in the MI thread on the forum here (go ahead & introduce yourself there!) are in Southeast MI so there's a lot of people riding Pine Knob, Alpine, Mt. Holly and I think some people even go to Mt. Brighton.

For what it's worth when we did those reviews it was very typical Michigan conditions. Cold, a bit of wind. Hardpacked snow for the most part with patches of ice and a tiny bit of drifted fresh snow.

Both of those boards are rockered so you shouldn't have any issues in the deep stuff out west (if you're lucky!) other than technique. Riding pow is different than riding grooms. I just preferred the Joystick to the Custom.

I'd look for something in the 157-158cm size. As you get better you might decide you want something longer eventually, but that would be a good place to start. Go with a "wide" board if you have big feet (11.5+).

I also thought the Gnu Carbon Credit was an excellent beginner/intermediate board and it's about $100 cheaper. Gnu uses serrated edges on their boards called magnetraction which helps provide better grip/edge-hold in icy conditions.
I will go to the MI thread for sure! As for the Gnu I checked it out online as well as the Skate Banana...Both seem like they would be great...But is one better than the other? I noticed the $100 difference...does one have a sintered base and the other not? What do you think of the BTX?? Is that supposed to keep you from catching the edge? Also as I asked Lstarrasl, What bindings would you recommend? Also I know they need to fit the boot properly, but are there certain brands that fit certain brands of boots? I have been looking at the ThirtyTwo Lashed...and the Burton Ruler boots...Tried both of them on both are pretty comfy...just not sure exactly how stiff I want them??? IF I need something better, I am willing to spend more money on the boots and bindings..